Mavericky Puig

Bobo32

You cannot defend as a midfielder on the assumption that your team mate doing the pressing will be nutmegged.
They are 3v1 close to the line and the only way out is the back pass that Puig runs to intercept (Depay walk-jogs and would let the defender hoof it or even control it).

Some prefer midfielders to fall and fall and worry most about not leaving any space in front of the defence. It was never the way Barcelona defended when at their best.
Some would also say he should keep the space this time since it's 1-0 and overtime. I say then that the one playing DMC should be the one very worried about that in the first place. Frenkie plays as a defender there, I don't think he should take that position, but be the one covering the space between the press and the last line. He has this tendency wherever he plays, and it's one reason teams have been able to build such pressure against Barcelona lately.

JamDav1982

Bobo trying to defend this clueless headless chicken running of Puig is most pleasing post will see today.

https://twitter.com/elcalvocule/stat...16440598126596

It is the most naive and idiotic run from a player will see all season. He has absolutely no clue how to move on the pitch and leaves middle completely wide open.

Folk defend that nonsense than scratch their heads at why 'world class' Riqui barely gets minutes.

Going to save this one as a Bobo classic.

Last edited:

Rory

Absolutely criminal the way he leaves his man in the middle there. Not a player to bring on when protecting a lead and momentum is with the opposition. Xavi will soon realise this. Chasing a goal, I’m all for Puig last 20 mins

iniestaGOAT

Absolutely criminal the way he leaves his man in the middle there. Not a player to bring on when protecting a lead and momentum is with the opposition. Xavi will soon realise this. Chasing a goal, I’m all for Puig last 20 mins

I think he only came on cause nico and busi got injured

OVI9323

They is a time during a pressing from an Espanyol player against us where I saw Pique asking him to go wide to provide a solution, Puig start doing it but then just stopped his run and went toward the center.
By doing that he prevent Pique from making a pass, removed the only solution and we almost lose the ball.
Just after that Pique yelled something to Puig who was acting like he couldn't have done better

Bobo32

They is a time during a pressing from an Espanyol player against us where I saw Pique asking him to go wide to provide a solution, Puig start doing it but then just stopped his run and went toward the center.
By doing that he prevent Pique from making a pass, removed the only solution and we almost lose the ball.
Just after that Pique yelled something to Puig who was acting like he couldn't have done better

Puig wanted the ball centrally then that time IIRC.
The pressing player covered the wide pass so he went back inside.
He is sometimes too eager to get the ball, even in tight situations. Pique could just pass it backwards I guess if he didn't believe there was a way out through Puig?

mc_lovin

Roberto would have made more sense imo. But yes agree he only came on due to injuries.

What's up with Roberto anyway? I thought he was back? He makes a ton more sense than Mingueza or Puig, who should comfortably be last in the midfield pecking order.

Rory

What's up with Roberto anyway? I thought he was back? He makes a ton more sense than Mingueza or Puig, who should comfortably be last in the midfield pecking order.

No idea about Roberto, tbf his form when finally back from injury the last couple of seasons doesn't merit much. Still, with Mingueza looking out of place I'd like to see him back at RB until Dest is back. And certainly should be coming on ahead of Puig in a game where we are ahead.

Bobo32

Puig wanted the ball centrally then that time IIRC.
The pressing player covered the wide pass so he went back inside.
He is sometimes too eager to get the ball, even in tight situations. Pique could just pass it backwards I guess if he didn't believe there was a way out through Puig?

I rewatched the last 20 mins, and I saw no situation like that with Pique. Maybe OVI thought about one situation when Puig wanted Araujo to pass it to him but didn't dare, then the sequence after Puig got that same pass from Pique and could play it for Araujo to hoof it towards a Depay free on goal...

I was very impressed by Puigs performance, I liked his positioning almost always, he intercepted one potential counter very nicely and was ready to intercept other balls as well. He got in slightly wrong into one tackle so he didn't win the ball then, but the pressure was still good. He never lost the ball and played the right passes almost every time. Depay, Abde and Coutinho could've all played him almost free, I guess his status in the group isn't that high maybe, or it's just that these players aren't the best, and couldn't see the right option (Depay tried an embarrassing pass for Nico instead, Abde tried to pass the opponents keeper, and Coutinhos chip was poorly placed and timed).

Frenkie was very poor these last minutes, as was Depay and Coutinho.

serghei

Bobo trying to defend this clueless headless chicken running of Puig is most pleasing post will see today.

https://twitter.com/elcalvocule/stat...16440598126596

It is the most naive and idiotic run from a player will see all season. He has absolutely no clue how to move on the pitch and leaves middle completely wide open.

Folk defend that nonsense than scratch their heads at why 'world class' Riqui barely gets minutes.

Going to save this one as a Bobo classic.

That's idiotic from Puig. I expect Xavi to criticize him on that action on match analysis in the next days.

frostdude1

My current thought about him is that he definitely does not deserve the hate he gets from some morons on here. He is clearly good enough to play for a big team or else he would not be here and wanted by other big teams.

But yes he has flaws to his game that he needs to work on, and maybe that is the bigger issue. I don?t know what his work ethic and his drive and determination to succeed is. So if he remains a bench player under Xavi, this means that he is either just not good enough to be a starter (which is okay) .. or that his work ethic does not warrant him to start and rely on (which is a shame).

JamDav1982

Haha morons are the ones thinking 'other big teams' would want Puig.

Not a chance.

He gets hate due to his fanboys like yourself that vastly over rate him and the way he behaves.

Home of Barca Fans