Memphis Depay

ajnotkeith

Maybe he is undisciplined or lacks tactical instruction but it isn't very clear what his role is. Sometimes he will be on the wing, sometimes in the box, sometimes holding up the ball, and doesn't really have a clear position in the attack. Despite winger being his natural position he gravitates towards the inside spaces a lot and loves to play in the box, whereas say on a counter where you are looking to get the ball to your wingers he isn't the type of player who will take it and get it down the line fast as he is too slow/not that good at dribbling. He is great at making chances in the final third though through his back to goal play and linking the midfield to the attack.

Doesn't have the movements of a lone 9 really either. Great at holding up the ball and playing in teammates but doesn't attack the space and make runs onto balls or have much of an aerial threat. So he could actually be better in a second striker role where he can lie deeper, hold up the ball, link the midfield to the attack as he has done well and fashion chances for his teammates/striker accompanying him.

Would like to see us try a 4-4-2 like this to see how it goes :

MATS
Mingueza-Pique-Araujo-Alba
Dest-Gavi or Busi-FDJ-Coutinho
Fati-Depay

And have Fati play higher up the pitch so he doesn't need to carry the ball, Depay sitting in behind him to receive as the point of reference and take advantage of Fati's clinical finishing when these opportunities arrive. Also lets Coutinho play in a comfortable position, on that side you have a more attacking and fast LB in Alba to overlap him so that flank will have some width..

Last edited:

Messi983

He's good but can't do everything on his own. Would also benefit with some rest but can't really afford that with other injuries.

JamDav1982

Hopefully only at Barca for one season.

Likes of Dembele is light years ahead of him and what team needs despite not being great.

FinBarcelonafan

After good start he has lost his way.

I still think he could have been good side guy but it seems like being the main guy for Barca is too much for him.

serghei

Not good enough mate. Some superb tricks aren't gonna cut it if you don't bring up the goods in ways that matter.

ajnotkeith

I didn't rate Depay particularly highly but I kind of got sucked in by his good start like many on here and thought he'd be a bit better. Credit to Bobo for seeing it coming.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I didn't rate Depay particularly highly but I kind of got sucked in by his good start like many on here and thought he'd be a bit better. Credit to Bobo for seeing it coming.

Nah his goalless run in open play is bound to end, and after that he will score more frequently. Still creates clear-cut chances in every game and by far better than the likes of Coutinho. I am positive that Ansu and Dembele should be starting attackers, not sure about the third. Probably Aguero if he starts scoring

JamDav1982

He doesnt even look like scoring at moment.

His game is a whole heap of shit decisions and 1/2 chances created a game. More if count his set pieces to be fair.

Home of Barca Fans