Nico Gonzalez

ajnotkeith

After his first touch, there are already two Kiyv midfielders near him ready to close him down.

Then he should just flick it forward on the first touch instead of chopping backwards and running into 2 Kyiv midfielders.

My point is there's a lot of better options than that, the Kyiv midfielders are glad more than anything he didn't let it run on/hit it forward into the space where they should have been so they're fine to let him go backwards.

jamrock

It might have looked nice but it was really stupid. He had a massive space in front of him with several runners 1v1 and chose to go backwards for some reason.

View attachment 9192

Bro what are you even saying, 95% of footballers are doing the exact same thing he did in that position,not to mention a young player just gaining experience at the highest level.

It's easier drawing lines than doing it in real life.

JamDav1982

You are trying far too hard to find holes in Nico to prove yourself right on him.

Whether he could have gone forward or nor it is a great touch and he moves game on quickly after that.

Windhook

Give him a break. The kid is just 19 and we are judging his moves from a 2010 Iniesta POV. Prime Busquets would've ended at Racing Santander playing in such a squad.

Nico has the quality, but inexperience is dominating in our squad, sadly. Patience.

Zidane82

Bro what are you even saying, 95% of footballers are doing the exact same thing he did in that position,not to mention a young player just gaining experience at the highest level.

It's easier drawing lines than doing it in real life.

Although only 1% could have actually done that bit of skill

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Then he should just flick it forward on the first touch instead of chopping backwards and running into 2 Kyiv midfielders.

My point is there's a lot of better options than that, the Kyiv midfielders are glad more than anything he didn't let it run on/hit it forward into the space where they should have been so they're fine to let him go backwards.

If he flicks it forward, he is dispossessed because he would only start accelerating, whereas the midfielder who's closing him down is already in full swing. Then you would complain here about how slow he is even though he would lose that battle purely on momentum.

Listen to our grandfather Cruyff here: ”What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster.”

Porque

Nico has alot of impressive one touch movements and feints to grab a cheeky yard and leave his marker in the dust. He could do it with ease in the B team and its great to see it is working at a higher level.

I get what AJ is saying as it is not always the safest option and it may be better to play the simple past.

My question is whether the moves are premeditated or if he is getting a read on the markers movement. If it is the former then I wonder how well he will do when top level players know his game better and anticipate him. Will it lead to turnovers?

serghei

Give him a break. The kid is just 19 and we are judging his moves from a 2010 Iniesta POV. Prime Busquets would've ended at Racing Santander playing in such a squad.

Nico has the quality, but inexperience is dominating in our squad, sadly. Patience.

Yes, we have some talented, talented players, but it will take some time for them to gain experience and develop, and since we have no other choice and not much money, that's the only way.

Raketa10

Yes, we have some talented, talented players, but it will take some time for them to gain experience and develop, and since we have no other choice and not much money, that's the only way.

Considering our history that's probably also the right way. The base of the squad has to be from home grown players and only few extra class outside players should be added to the team.

serghei

Considering our history that's probably also the right way. The base of the squad has to be from home grown players and only few extra class outside players should be added to the team.

We have had top teams with more home grown players, and top teams with more outsiders and fewer La Masia products. But as we don't have money, that approach with more buys and fewer homegrown players is unlikely to work.

We need to buy just 2-3 players in the next 12-16 months, but make them starter quality.

vegitot

Cruyff's Dream Team had very very few home grown players, mainly base on players across Spain and foreigners. They are called Dream Team for that reason.

khaled_a_d

Cruyff's Dream Team had very very few home grown players, mainly base on players across Spain and foreigners. They are called Dream Team for that reason.

Barca in 2006 had a starting line up in CL final that had only VV and Puyol from La Masia, in addition to Oleguer who was Barca B signing.
Never mind people are really generous with describing a player being "La Masia" , Puyol, Busquets, Pedri joined on professional contracts at age of 17 and called La Masia products, while Alba, Pique, Cesc & Eric leaves at 16 and we pay to get them back, and we still consider them homegrown.
I wonder if folks are interested in bringing Olmo back to increase homegrown quotas

Bobo32

Nico has alot of impressive one touch movements and feints to grab a cheeky yard and leave his marker in the dust. He could do it with ease in the B team and its great to see it is working at a higher level.

I get what AJ is saying as it is not always the safest option and it may be better to play the simple past.

My question is whether the moves are premeditated or if he is getting a read on the markers movement. If it is the former then I wonder how well he will do when top level players know his game better and anticipate him. Will it lead to turnovers?

It already did, this is my concern. I saw it once or twice in B, and more times in A. He can't play like that in Busquets' position, and I don't think he really can in MC position either long term. At the same time, this is what people really like with him when it works, as he grabs the space and take decent decisions from there. But I feel his intuition for where to go is a bit faulty still. The eyes in his back hasn't fully developed.

Home of Barca Fans