Nico Gonzalez

ajnotkeith

It already did, this is my concern. I saw it once or twice in B, and more times in A. He can't play like that in Busquets' position, and I don't think he really can in MC position either long term. At the same time, this is what people really like with him when it works, as he grabs the space and take decent decisions from there. But I feel his intuition for where to go is a bit faulty still. The eyes in his back hasn't fully developed.

Here's my problem with what I pointed out specifically. When it works there's not much of a end product, beating two guys just to end up making a simple pass is pointless and it is not the first time I've seen him do that.

If that contribution ends up in goals and assists I'd be happy if he continues to play as a CM/interior

JamDav1982

He takes the ball out the air with a great touch, beats pressure of next player closing down and then makes the correct pass.

Not pointless in the slightest that action.

ajnotkeith

After his first touch he can just turn 90 degrees, flick it behind himself, backheel, or chest it forward when he receives it. He just didn't look and know that the space was open, that's all.

Instead of 'beating the next man closing him down' and taking himself backwards in the process, he can just make the pass here after he's controlled the ball as Gavi is in an advanced position and Kyiv midfielders are out of position. Instead he takes on the man to the left of him and makes the same pass except the midfielders got back in position and Gavi isn't in that spot anymore.

Regardless no point overanalysing one frame as I'm doing when the numbers word it for me better. In about 40 odd pro appearances he has 0 goals and 2 assists and most of those are with the B team. Like I said if he has a good end product then he works at interior but those are very poor numbers for a midfielder that likes to go up so much and hang around the box.

The stat on dribbles completed are impressive but if those dribbles are mostly like that video posted here where he unnecessarily beats the man then there is no end product to it.

Regarding what Bobo said he will not play in Busquets position. Doesn't seem like a position that suits his skillset at all and given he likes to go forward probably not the right choice. CM for me

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Trying far too hard.

It was very good play from Nico.

You have claimed he is slow and not good enough and want to try and dont like when he has a good moment it seems.

B team appearances have no relevance to anything being discussed.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

Trying far too hard.

It was very good play from Nico.

You have claimed he is slow and not good enough and want to try and dont like when he has a good moment it seems.

B team appearances have no relevance to anything being discussed.
Yea when you're discussing a player's skills it's irrelevant to talk about their past season? Lol

Like I said above it is not the first time I saw him do that, or in my opinion at least, and numbers like that seem to suggest that he hasn't developed any end product so far either.

JamDav1982

Yea when you're discussing a player's skills it's irrelevant to talk about their past season

No it isnt.

What is being discussed is that action and first team games for Barca.

Plays 3 good games and bang on about him being slow, cant score, cant assist and chooses wrong options regardless.

behindbrowneyes

Not on the Xavi hype-train, but when his signing is good for one thing, it is for the development of our young midfielders. Nico, Gavi and Pedri are all talented, but with Xavi at least two of them should develop into world-class players. There is room for improvement for FDJ too.

Before someone asks. Not expecting much from Puig.

serghei

Not on the Xavi hype-train, but when his signing is good for one thing, it is for the development of our young midfielders. Nico, Gavi and Pedri are all talented, but with Xavi at least two of them should develop into world-class players. There is room for improvement for FDJ too.

Well, that's kind of the main thing we'll have to rely on for short term at least. So, if he will deliver big on that front, things could possibly go well for him.

mc_lovin

I never understood that logic.

khaled_a_d

Well, I barely seen any improvement on our defenders and they had a guy who is one of the all time greatest CB too

Bobo32

I never understood that logic.
Nah, the logic is very faulty, it's just a stupid train of thought.
Well, I barely seen any improvement on our defenders and they had a guy who is one of the all time greatest CB too
Koeman wasn't even a good defender. He had a great touch and played good passes. Cruyff said he was one of the worst ones around at defending.

behindbrowneyes

True story, but Koeman played in a totally different time and also in a different role (libero/"sweeper") than today's CBs. He hasn't made the transition into today's football and it could be seen in his tactical approach. He might has come across as a commander, but I doubt his tactical preparation of players was anything near as substantial as Xavi's will be.

I expect Xavi to be way more demanding to his players when it comes to tactical guidance. During the game, he is way more active on the sideline than guys like EV or Koeman and more in the mold of coaches like Simeone, Conte, Pep, Klopp when it comes to ingame coaching.

I expect our midfielders to learn a lot from Xavi. He is one of the biggest football brains of the last decade, has been coached by Pep and had an awareness on the field that rarely gets matched. Not gonna say Xavi will ever get nearly as successful as Pep, but I'm pretty sure players will develop into better players. Busquets wouldn't be the footballer he has become without Pep's guidance and mentioned guys are not less talented.

I don't think selling players his footballing idea will be a problem for Xavi. Much more likely for me that his stubbornness on tiki-taka and obsession with passing will hold him back.

vegitot

Nah, the logic is very faulty, it's just a stupid train of thought.

Koeman wasn't even a good defender. He had a great touch and played good passes. Cruyff said he was one of the worst ones around at defending.

Cruyff also said Maldini was bad defender and shouldn't play football. Only in 1994 Maldini destroyed his attackers :lol:

Koeman wasn't a good defender. Puig top 5 best in the world. Arthur is better than prime Xavi. Pjanic 30 through balls in one game. Collado next Rui Costa. Pedri next Di Maria.

Golden.

Last edited:

vegitot

Do you think that all under 20 years old can turn into world class players in like one year under Xavi?

Home of Barca Fans