Nico Gonzalez

Bobo32

Lot of talk about Nico today.

Mas Que Pelotas says the club is considering offers for him and that he isn't untouchable, whilst Joan Fontes accuses him of being unprofessional and spending all his time partying.

Like that you bring these rumours here.

I can see him being a party animal.
He looks a bit lost on the field, no true ambition is shown like you'd expect from a player in his situation unfortunately. I like the player, and think he is very talented, I shilled for him to get a chance in A based on the few B games I saw, but since he broke through I think he has failed to improve on his weaknesses, and I think he has looked a bit unambitious at times, even though it might also be hard to separate unambition with simple struggle to adapt to a higher tempo with less space.

I think he needs a very clear role, and a very clear structure around him, from which he can then improvise. But when he improvises so far in Barcelona A, it is too often done without knowing the outcome, he is relying on his intuition, which isn't really calibrated well enough yet though.

He can become a top player if he is professional and given the right guidance.

Bobo32

He's talked about Riqui and Pique partying out late on multiple occasions too:

https://twitter.com/JoanFontes/status/1517939585434664960

Just skimmed this. Agree with a "footballfan" that said Pique had a day off, and Puig a season off. It might be a bit unprofessional of Puig and Pique to be out partying whilst Pique is injured and Puig extremely neglected, but Nico is the literal first substitute right now and should be extremely professional, there is no excuse for him.

Whatever the case, a football player is judged on what he does on match day. I judge Nicos performances below those of Puig and Pique so far, and I think he has less reason to be "unprofessional and partying all the time" than these players. Keep bringing the rumours though.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Just skimmed this. Agree with a "footballfan" that said Pique had a day off, and Puig a season off. It might be a bit unprofessional of Puig and Pique to be out partying whilst Pique is injured and Puig extremely neglected, but Nico is the literal first substitute right now and should be extremely professional, there is no excuse for him.

Whatever the case, a football player is judged on what he does on match day. I judge Nicos performances below those of Puig and Pique so far, and I think he has less reason to be "unprofessional and partying all the time" than these players. Keep bringing the rumours though.

All footballers ought to be professional. Doesn't matter if you're first sub or bench fodder, a newbie or an experienced member of the team.

There is no "reason" or excuse to be unprofessional and partying all the time. You're either professional or you're not, and if these rumors are true Nico, Pique and Riqui are all failing at doing one of the basic requirements of being a professional footballer.

I know you're really mad right now though that I brought this up since you probably didn't expect Riqui to be involved in this shit too.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
a football player is judged on what he does on match day.

This is only partially correct. I think also important is that players should be judged at how close they are to their potential.
Say you have an extremely talented player that always plays “well” but could be much better if were less lazy in training then not wrong to expect him to be more professional.

Bobo32

All footballers ought to be professional. Doesn't matter if you're first sub or bench fodder, a newbie or an experienced member of the team.

There is no "reason" or excuse to be unprofessional and partying all the time. You're either professional or you're not, and if these rumors are true Nico, Pique and Riqui are all failing at doing one of the basic requirements of being a professional footballer.

I know you're really mad right now though that I brought this up since you probably didn't expect Riqui to be involved in this shit too.

I agree that footballers should be professional. I also find it understandable if a player who isn't playing for months or if a player who is injured goes out for a beer or two .

Partying is a nebulous term, we can only speculate about what mr. Fontes has seen from these players. There is a time for football players to really party too though. The professionalism is about knowing what you can handle in order to perform the way that is needed. I have seen Nico with more uninspired and almost hangover-like performances than I saw from the other two players.

I am not mad, and I treat the information like it should be treated. Of course football players should know that there are hyenas ready to report if they see you close to a bar after 6pm, my entire point is that Nico looks to struggle and I am not surprised if he does have problems outside the pitch or with his motivation right now.

Bobo32

This is only partially correct. I think also important is that players should be judged at how close they are to their potential.
Say you have an extremely talented player that always plays “well” but could be much better if were less lazy in training then not wrong to expect him to be more professional.

I think a coach will play the team he thinks is most likely to bring him 3p.
He does not care if Rooney or Gascoigne drinks 75cl the day before or on match day.
I think some players needs 75cl now and then, they are not only players but human beings.

These speculations about potential are too theoretic and thus false. You couldn't suddenly turn Rooney into Ronaldos mentality and get an even better player, it does not work like that.

ajnotkeith

He's talked about Riqui and Pique partying out late on multiple occasions too:

https://twitter.com/JoanFontes/status/1517939585434664960
It needs to stop. That simple.

If we want to be the best team in the world again the players need to live like it. Physical conditioning is everything in today's game and not just that, but mentally too, you need to focus on football on training days. No Coach we have seems to be able to straighten these guys out, Xavi even said he gives Pique free reign basically. The return of the allowances like under Valverde.

For Nico specifically I do believe what he said also. He probably got that heavy for a reason and he does even more TikToks than Riqui these days.There's also a video on Barca's YouTube where Garcia/Ferran mock him for eating so much and joke about him being unprofessional.

It's probably a factor in why he hardly plays and has been disappointing when he does. Mentioned 100x before but needs to lose a ton of fat and get into shape.

ajnotkeith

On Riqui, it is not worth even talking about because he is a lost cause. On the same podcast Martha Ramon from RAC1/ARA says he usually parties every night in Barcelona's bars and clubs.

Porque

There must be some context with the Nico partying stories though. Is it a recent thing or been going on for months? Because I haven't heard these rumours before.

Now if it is a recent thing, don't ignore that he is currently injured and out for the rest of the season. So it would not be outlandish if he is enjoying some extra curriculum activities.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer he maintained health and recuperation, but it might not be such a big deal because of timing. But if it is an issue, nothing wrong with using the opportunity to loan him out, get some minutes, development and discipline.

khaled_a_d

Big fan of this kid, but I think we should ask Mendes for a favour and cash on him.
He declined under Xavi actually, and he is 4th option in our current CM-AM dynamics, and we are adding Kessie and Torre,a proven player for depth and another young talent.
Nico won't be DM and we need to spend money on other areas.
Even if the partying thing was bs, Barca doesn't have the finances to be patient with those youngsters and need to make decisions quickly.

vegitot

Pique is at the end of his career so he doesn't have anything to fight for. Mavericky is just a spoiled kid.

If Nico is unprofessional then he will join Arthur soon (whom Juve fans hate with passion).

Messi983

Big fan of this kid, but I think we should ask Mendes for a favour and cash on him.
He declined under Xavi actually, and he is 4th option in our current CM-AM dynamics, and we are adding Kessie and Torre,a proven player for depth and another young talent.
Nico won't be DM and we need to spend money on other areas.
Even if the partying thing was bs, Barca doesn't have the finances to be patient with those youngsters and need to make decisions quickly.

Personally wouldn't totally give up on him yet. If sold we should include a buy back. But preferably should go on loan to play regularly and see how he'll develop. Don't think he'll ever be good enough to be a starter but can be a good cheap squad player.

Unless of course he really has disciplinary problems, then we should offload him ASAP.

khaled_a_d

Personally wouldn't totally give up on him yet. If sold we should include a buy back. But preferably should go on loan to play regularly and see how he'll develop. Don't think he'll ever be good enough to be a starter but can be a good cheap squad player.

Unless of course he really has disciplinary problems, then we should offload him ASAP.

We need funds and we have financial issues.
Idealy you loan and wait etc, but currently we don't have ideal situation and not even a normal one.
Honestly I would cash on several youngsters, Nico, Abde, Jutgla, Pena, Ceravic, Tenas & probably Balde.
Those youngsters sale will be a net profit that is much needed and could fund a couple of solid signings.

vuji_31

We are well covered on CM positions, if not too stacked.

He is not better then any of our currently playing midfielders.

If it is time to sell talents it is now. We need desperatly cash to get Lewa and etc. who can provide from first much, we don't have time to develop 11 players.

Home of Barca Fans