Sergiño Dest

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Yeah not true lol.
Everyone understood his choice here. He was not considered a big talent here and wasnt selected for any youth team and then US came in and give him that confidence. I wouldve made the same choice.

I would make a case that Dest is the biggest beneficiary of Koemans system (case can be made for Busquets aswell). Hes a mediocre RB will get folded against any class 1v1 in defense but he has opportunity to be
a really special RWB with 3CBs covering for him.

He can easily be a great attacking RB just like Alves or Marcelo.

AjaxAmsterdam

Against weak opponents sure but I still have my doubts he can ever be atleast average defensively. Could be that Im jaded from what I seen during his youth and he massively improves, wouldnt be the first time I thought
18-year old van Nistelrooy was amateur level max lol.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Against weak opponents sure but I still have my doubts he can ever be atleast average defensively. Could be that Im jaded from what I seen during his youth and he massively improves, wouldnt be the first time I thought
18-year old van Nistelrooy was amateur level max lol.

It's very rare to see a young attacking FB being good or decent defensively. They usually get better with age and experience.

Someone like Alphonso Davies is not great defensively either and relies too much on his pace to save himself.

Let me put it this way: It's way easier to get better defensively than it is to get better attacking-wise.

You cannot teach what players like Dest can do in attack. It doesn't matter if other FBs in his age group growing up were deemed as better talents because they were better defensively because in modern football that alone doesn't get you very far.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Hope you are right cus that would mean Barca is sorted in that position for a long time , Im already seeing that potential at WB.

Playing at WB is beneficial for him as his defensive fragility isn't as exposed, but he'll need to get better as he'll have to be defend more 1v1 in the years to come.

Might take some years. Joao Cancelo has been decent defensively this season for the first time in his career and he's 26.

Kul_z

We should try him at rw when bob is back to rotate a bit more and rest some starters

Mingueza pique araujo
Bob busi de jong alba
Dest messi dembele

Yannik

Polyvalent fullbacks is a rarity. Even among the worlds best fullbacks in history, almost all were basically either wingers or center backs with just very basic knowledge in the respective other department.

olivis

Yeah not true lol.
Everyone understood his choice here. He was not considered a big talent here and wasnt selected for any youth team and then US came in and give him that confidence. I wouldve made the same choice.

I would make a case that Dest is the biggest beneficiary of Koemans system (case can be made for Busquets aswell). Hes a mediocre RB will get folded against any class 1v1 in defense but he has opportunity to be
a really special RWB with 3CBs covering for him.

Uuhm have you read the reactions at voetbalzone before you decide what you consider true or not? Okay please do that first then.

And no one is talking about whether the choice was logical or not. We're talking about whether it sucks that he chose something else. And with regard to making the same choice he could have been patient. After all we did develop him entirely.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Uuhm have you read the reactions at voetbalzone before you decide what you consider true or not? Okay please do that first then.

And no one is talking about whether the choice was logical or not. We're talking about whether it sucks that he chose something else. And with regard to making the same choice he could have been patient. After all we did develop him entirely.

How is Dest compared to the two current Dutch NT full backs and their back-ups?

KingLeo10

Polyvalent fullbacks is a rarity. Even among the worlds best fullbacks in history, almost all were basically either wingers or center backs with just very basic knowledge in the respective other department.

Did you just step out of Chemistry class, dawg?

:koeman:

Andresito

Staff member
He's flashy but inconsistent. The opposite to Semedo where you'd expect a pretty solid performance without much happening.

Home of Barca Fans