Thiago Translantara

M

MessiCam

Speaking of stats, maybe if Rakitić improves his game he'll become nearly as good defender as Fabregas.

I think some here ignore what Rakitić brings to us. Just like Paulinho, physical presence. If we replace him, I'd like to see major improvements in offensive play from the middle. These are the important stats since Thiago is defensively solid.
Maybe someone here can explain what Rakitic’s physical presence gives us because I can’t see it.

Yeah, he is good in defensive phases and transitional phases but there are smaller guys that do it better so what exactly does this physical presence give you. It sure as hell doesn’t scare people.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Rakitic's physical presence vs Roma had him getting pushed around by Nainggolan like a small toy. For a player lauded for his physical presence he really is shit in that regard. Paulinho is 10x better and they're about the same size, and I don't even like Paulinho.

Rakitic's physical presence is non-existent. He gets bullied off by so many players. I think people confuse Rakitic's great workrate with physicality in terms of winning duels and midfield battles.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Rakitic's physical presence vs Roma had him getting pushed around by Nainggolan like a small toy. For a player lauded for his physical presence he really is shit in that regard. Paulinho is 10x better and they're about the same size, and I don't even like Paulinho.

Rakitic's physical presence is non-existent. He gets bullied off by so many players. I think people confuse Rakitic's great workrate with physicality in terms of winning duels and midfield battles.

Genuinley have never heard anyone lauding Rakitic as a physical presence.

He is neither a beast or any kind of weakling just fairly average as he is at most things for that level.

His strongest areas are his discipline and tactical ability within the team more than anything else.

This past season was his best at Barca though for me. Although still want better/

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Genuinley have never heard anyone lauding Rakitic as a physical presence.

He is neither a beast or any kind of weakling just fairly average as he is at most things for that level.

His strongest areas are his discipline and tactical ability within the team more than anything else.

This past season was his best at Barca though for me. Although still want better/

Well, you can read some of BBZs posts then where he talks about how Rakitic's amazing physicality is so important for Barca's midfield.

Joan

Maybe someone here can explain what Rakitic’s physical presence gives us because I can’t see it.

Yeah, he is good in defensive phases and transitional phases but there are smaller guys that do it better so what exactly does this physical presence give you. It sure as hell doesn’t scare people.

It gives you his high work rate and presence all around the pitch. Will cover for whomever it is. Also, gives you some physicality. Not much, but some for our standards. His stamina and off the ball movement, also. Available throughout the year, plays almost every match, never tires...

What he lacks is offensive output. I'm worried Thiago won't improve us that much in that aspect.

M

MessiCam

It gives you his high work rate and presence all around the pitch. Will cover for whomever it is. Also, gives you some physicality. Not much, but some for our standards. His stamina and off the ball movement, also. Available throughout the year, plays almost every match, never tires...

What he lacks is offensive output. I'm worried Thiago won't improve us that much in that aspect.
What you’re describing is not physical presence but rather workrate. He has an enormous engine that’s true but a physical presence he is not.

JamDav1982

What you’re describing is not physical presence but rather workrate. He has an enormous engine that’s true but a physical presence he is not.

Nor he is some kind of weakling that gets pushed off the ball easily all the time either.

Both sides taking it to extremes.

M

MessiCam

Nor he is some kind of weakling that gets pushed off the ball easily all the time either.

Both sides taking it to extremes.

Did I say that? Iniesta is a puny little man and he isn’t bundled off the ball either.

cro-man

Someone with a reliable injury history of him? Would be interesting to see how much he really did play in those recent years.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Bayern also have a terrible medical team. Most of their players end up missing more time than they play. Boateng, Robben, Ribery, Neuer, even Vidal now.

Thiago is a historically injury prone player but no outlier in that Bayern side. I think we can do a lot better for him, and take off the pressure to exert as much energy as he would for Bayern. He'll have a far superior DM behind him in Busquets and less pressure to be a primary creative force in attack.

MTL_Barca

Is this for real? Didnt know its that bad. Totally sign him and that for 70m+:lol:

In his 2nd season he missed pretty much every game because he had that bad injury (that wasn't treated right at first iirc). Had other injuries too obviously but that season alone will influence every "overall" statistic on that topic.

Home of Barca Fans