Victor Font

Birdy

But if you read the answer, he says that there will be a sports structure and the decision about the coach will not be in his hands

soul24rage

And again everytime I listen to him or read bits of his interviews the guy just panders. He talks about reversing the financial problem Barca is in , but at the same time mentions how he wants to renew Messi's contract for the coming 2 to 3 years.

I always maintained that Messi's wages should be reduced due to his age and the club's financial situation, but if the below tweet is true then I can see why many presidential candidate would want to renew his contract.

"Bartomeu wanted to offer a lifelong contract to Messi & that after finishing his football career he would be the club's image. Messi did not want that. Between ticketing, merchandise, sponsorship, etc, Messi generates about ?300M"

https://twitter.com/HagridFCB/status/1326135215249612800

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I always maintained that Messi's wages should be reduced due to his age and the club's financial situation, but if the below tweet is true then I can see why many presidential candidate would want to renew his contract.

"Bartomeu wanted to offer a lifelong contract to Messi & that after finishing his football career he would be the club's image. Messi did not want that. Between ticketing, merchandise, sponsorship, etc, Messi generates about ?300M"

https://twitter.com/HagridFCB/status/1326135215249612800

That can't be true. While it is true that Messi draws a lot of attention for us from all three areas but the amount can't be that much, no idea how they came up with that.

Real Madrid didn't lose 300m or revenue because of Ronaldo leaving, I would expect us to lose some but not that much. Our brand is pretty strong among fans, with or without Messi.

soul24rage

That can't be true. While it is true that Messi draws a lot of attention for us from all three areas but the amount can't be that much, no idea how they came up with that.

Real Madrid didn't lose 300m or revenue because of Ronaldo leaving, I would expect us to lose some but not that much. Our brand is pretty strong among fans, with or without Messi.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think Messi generates for the club?

I don't know if the amount is correct (I also think it's too high) and I can't speak about RM cuz idk their financial situation, but imo Messi with the power of his brand image brings us at least more $ than what the club gives Messi his wages.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Just out of curiosity, how much do you think Messi generates for the club?

I don't know if the amount is correct (I also think it's too high) and I can't speak about RM cuz idk their financial situation, but imo Messi with the power of his brand image brings us at least more $ than what the club gives Messi his wages.

It is really hard to put a number on it:

(1) Matchday gets us around 150m each year (160m last year), sure many foreign tourists and fans came to see Messi, without Messi would it decrease by 50%? I don't think so.
(2) Our commercial revenue last year was 384m which includes both sponsorship deals and merchandising with the former being the majority portion. Will we lose some sponsors after Messi is gone? Perhaps, but our brand is still very strong (ranked 6th among all sports events and teams globally recently by Sports Pro index) so I'd think we shouldn't do that bad without Messi. On the merchandising front, yes a lot of people buy Messi jerseys and he definitely dominates in customized jerseys (jerseys sold with players name printed), but my understanding is customized jerseys account for less than a half of all jerseys sold each year (for us it has been around 1.2 million a year or so, I think). Messi leaving will stop some Messi and Barca fans buying customized jerseys but would the number be so huge that it will cost us 100m upwards? Nah, we don't get that much from merchandise sales anyway.

soul24rage

(1) Matchday gets us around 150m each year (160m last year), sure many foreign tourists and fans came to see Messi, without Messi would it decrease by 50%? I don't think so.
(2) Our commercial revenue last year was 384m which includes both sponsorship deals and merchandising with the former being the majority portion. Will we lose some sponsors after Messi is gone? Perhaps, but our brand is still very strong (ranked 6th among all sports events and teams globally recently by Sports Pro index) so I'd think we shouldn't do that bad without Messi. On the merchandising front, yes a lot of people buy Messi jerseys and he definitely dominates in customized jerseys (jerseys sold with players name printed), but my understanding is customized jerseys account for less than a half of all jerseys sold each year (for us it has been around 1.2 million a year or so, I think). Messi leaving will stop some Messi and Barca fans buying customized jerseys but would the number be so huge that it will cost us 100m upwards? Nah, we don't get that much from merchandise sales anyway.

I also agree that it is hard to put a number of it. It is hard to know how much he generates for the club.

We'll have a much clearer picture when he leaves the club.

khaled_a_d

I look it this way:
We were like 5th or something in revenue before Messi era started. after him we are number one and at worst number 3
For RM, they are number 1-3 for at least a decade before CR7, so no surprise they keep revenue after him.
Messi is a difference maker when it comes to our revenue, that is why I think his income is warranted.
Without him, which face would sponsors want to put on their commercials? Busquets? Dembele? Pique? Fati? Most likely the biggest in the line is Griezmann and Coutinho :lol:

This is one of the reasons I have no shadow of doubts that a big deal is coming next summer, club can't survive without such one

I am critical of font, but he is right is his pursue for renewing Messi

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I look it this way:
We were like 5th or something in revenue before Messi era started. after him we are number one and at worst number 3
For RM, they are number 1-3 for at least a decade before CR7, so no surprise they keep revenue after him.
Messi is a difference maker when it comes to our revenue, that is why I think his income is warranted.
Without him, which face would sponsors want to put on their commercials? Busquets? Dembele? Pique? Fati? Most likely the biggest in the line is Griezmann and Coutinho :lol:

This is one of the reasons I have no shadow of doubts that a big deal is coming next summer, club can't survive without such one

No doubt Messi was a huge factor (not just Messi, the Pep era and the trophies brought more attention and fans and subsequently more revenue) but I don't think him alone would account for more than 30% of our total revenue and losing him would not be catastrophic. The club will see an adverse impact commercially but we will carry on. And no doubt the club will looking for the next poster boy to be the next generation of brand/flag carrier, despite being impossible to replace Messi entirely.

Yeah, not just Font, I don't think any candidate would openly rule out renewing Messi.

serghei

The revenue discussion is not that critical, as long as there are many clubs who make far less than what we make with better performances on the field. If we will have lower revenue, we will spend less. And if we will do both and are competitive in Europe, which hasn't happened for years, it will be a success.

We need not become the Spanish United who take great pride in having a very high revenue while playing in the Europa League more than CL.

Top 3 in revenue like Barca, Madrid, United, have been woeful lately. While other teams who make less but manage their funds better are the top dogs now. Revenue without top management means you spend more money more poorly. I'd rather make less and spend better. It's more sustainable long term as well.

The players' contracts have to go down a lot. It's imperative to let Messi go for this new team to have a chance in the next 2-3 years. Clear all the huge wages tied to aging players, and start clean. Keep the money in the club until we have a clear project.

We're in this mess precisely because the economics and the sporting side have been too far apart and too disconnected. Rebuilding the team in this direction in the future will be a disastrous populist policy.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The revenue discussion is not that critical, as long as there are many clubs who make far less than what we make with better performances on the field. If we will have lower revenue, we will spend less. And if we will do both and are competitive in Europe, which hasn't happened for years, it will be a success.

We need not become the Spanish United who take great pride in having a very high revenue while playing in the Europa League more than CL.

Top 3 in revenue like Barca, Madrid, United, have been woeful lately. While other teams who make less but manage their funds better are the top dogs now. Revenue without top management means you spend more money more poorly. I'd rather make less and spend better. It's more sustainable long term as well.

The players' contracts have to go down a lot. It's imperative to let Messi go for this new team to have a chance in the next 2-3 years. Clear all the huge wages tied to aging players, and start clean. Keep the money in the club until we have a clear project.

We're in this mess precisely because the economics and the sporting side have been too far apart and too disconnected. Rebuilding the team in this direction in the future will be a disastrous populist policy.

To sustain competitiveness we need to have as much revenue as possible though. Even Bayern who is lauded by many to be the model of one of the best managed clubs, is not far behind us in terms of revenue at all. They just spend smartly with regard to transfers and player wages and they don't give in to crazy player demands (the recent case with Alaba was a good example, or Kroos).

The men's football side of our club has clearly been mismanaged for years (the same can't be said of other sectors like women's football, men's handball, roller hockey, futsal and to a lesser degree basketball where we have been dominating Spain or even Europe for years) and wages have been too high for sure, we could have done a lot better, yes. However, I don't think we can manage better with less revenue, especially for a club like us that doesn't have rich owners to inject money (Bayern is like that too to a lesser degree, with their 3A's corporate shareholders). For us who has a lot of debts specifically, we need more money than others to help pay off the debts, let alone more crucial things like transfers, wages and investment on sporting areas etc.

BBZ8800

I look it this way:

Yes, I wrote something similar in Messi's thread.

I don't think that he even plays as a starter based on sporting merits but only because of sponsors and image.

If he leaves, La Liga is losing money and our biggest names are Cou and Griezz.
Not too attractive.

This is why Messi will continue to play as a false "6" and do whatever he wants on a field.

Even Messi with his shitty performances as "a false 6" is bringing way more income than 99,9% players in the world.

Mitchell1978

Hard to put a number on it as Messi generating revenue is related too his performances and legacy at Barca and can't replicated when he goes to a different team.

But Messi leaving will lower every revenue stream for the club, combined with most of the season playing without fans, means Barcelona will have to make do without a lot of money, 200/300 million euro lost seams realistic then, maybe even more.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Hard to put a number on it as Messi generating revenue is related too his performances and legacy at Barca and can't replicated when he goes to a different team.

But Messi leaving will lower every revenue stream for the club, combined with most of the season playing without fans, means Barcelona will have to make do without a lot of money, 200/300 million euro lost seams realistic then, maybe even more.

Currently we are losing money primarily because of having no fans in the stadium thus we are not getting any of the matchday money and not having people visiting the museum and depressed commercial and sponsorship revenue because of lack of sponsors' brand exposure (COVID related, not Messi).

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Gets asked a question about Neymar , yet somehow manages to sneak in the name Xavi.

[V?ctor Font] Form a footballing point of view, Neymar would fit into a project organized by Xavi. From an institutional point of view, he wouldn't due to our financial situation and because and he sued and abandoned the club days before the start of a new season.

Messigician

Gets asked a question about Neymar , yet somehow manages to sneak in the name Xavi.

[V?ctor Font] Form a footballing point of view, Neymar would fit into a project organized by Xavi. From an institutional point of view, he wouldn't due to our financial situation and because and he sued and abandoned the club days before the start of a new season.

Lmfao

Home of Barca Fans