Whats with the handball rule ?

BerkeleyBernie

if he is right there 1-2 meters away from the strikers, it's an unintentional handball and not penalty. (• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

So what happens in that case, if correctly called? Play continues as if the ball had hit any other part of the defender's body?

X

xaviniesta

basicly yes. ball hit the hand, but it was an unexpected ball. i know it's hard. but it's the rule and if somebody dare to fuck with you then show him yellow and told him read the rules next time :D

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
didn't you dare to read the rules i just posted ?? deco20, theres no common sense about this rule. common sense is about other things, how you dictate the tempo of the game, whether you prevent some card in the beginning of the game and just warning etc. there's ABSOLUTELY no common sense when it comes to penalties.
I read the rules back in 09 a few days after the Chelsea game ;)
I've read them again once or twice since (like after Bojans disallowed goal).
What I meant by common sence is that the referees must weigh the different circumstances in and that different refs see things differently.

And even when the rules are very strict, referees should (I'd say they're morally obliged to) use their common sence. An example? Some guy takes his shirt of when being substituted, he's sent off, so the substitute can't enter. Another? A 15 year old boy scores his first goal, runs to his family in the stands to celebrate with them, gets a yellow card.

X

xaviniesta

And even when the rules are very strict, referees should (I'd say they're morally obliged to) use their common sence. An example? Some guy takes his shirt of when being substituted, he's sent off, so the substitute can't enter. Another? A 15 year old boy scores his first goal, runs to his family in the stands to celebrate with them, gets a yellow card.

hhahaahaa, this is almost too cute to be true

NO NO and NO

it's like, ups, sorry that i stopped the goal with my hand, i didn't mean to do that, please don't sent me off.

you know that you can't do that so why you have to even think about doing this?

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Allas, read the posts again, I don't think you've understood what I mean ;)
There's no need to mock me, really. I don't even see what part of my argument you're against.
Rules are meant to be interpreted, just as in real life.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
Sorry, common sense cannot be allowed in football. Say a referee blows a penalty for one team and sees on the replay/half-time that it wasen't penalty, the common sense thing to do was to give the other team a penalty.

Which would be catastrophic.

X

xaviniesta

common sense is the most important rule actually but you have to know how to use it. why are always players expecting common sense from the referees but not vice versa? lets say de jong kicks xabi alonso and he knows it was a red card foul, he is not goint to tell webb, please give me red card, i deserve it.

perfect example of common sense is when it's added time, lets say 3 minutes. you have played 2.58 of it, and you are just about to start a counterattack and referee let the final attack finish. or it's 2.55 played and team gets a corner and he lets it finish, not blow his whistle when the ball is in the air and it's exactly 3.00 played.

Last edited:

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
common sense is the most important rule actually but you have to know how to use it. why are always players expecting common sense from the referees but not vice versa? lets say de jong kicks xabi alonso and he knows it was a red card foul, he is not goint to tell webb, please give me red card, i deserve it.

perfect example of common sense is when it's added time, lets say 3 minutes. you have played 2.58 of it, and you are just about to start a counterattack and referee let the final attack finish. or it's 2.55 played and team gets a corner and he lets it finish, not blow his whistle when the ball is in the air and it's exactly 3.00 played.

Does this mean you agree? ^^

X

xaviniesta

agree with what?

common sense is the basics of refereeing. but your examples were unfortunately failures. i don't give a shit if a 15 or 50 year old whats to hug his mama after the goal and why you have to take off your shirt just before you come off the field if you could do this 3 seconds later and everything will be cool.
1311993949997.jpg

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
"The referees will have to decide using their common sense."
"What I meant by common sence is that the referees must weigh the different circumstances in and that different refs see things differently."
Never mind the 3 different ways I indifferently (and unintentionally) used the word different.

You responded like this:

"deco20, theres no common sense about this rule. common sense is about other things, how you dictate the tempo of the game, whether you prevent some card in the beginning of the game and just warning etc. there's ABSOLUTELY no common sense when it comes to penalties. "
and
"hhahaahaa, this is almost too cute to be true
NO NO and NO
it's like, ups, sorry that i stopped the goal with my hand, i didn't mean to do that, please don't sent me off.
you know that you can't do that so why you have to even think about doing this? "

I then replied:
"Allas, read the posts again, I don't think you've understood what I mean.
Rules are meant to be interpreted, just as in real life."

and you wrote:
"common sense is the most important rule actually but you have to know how to use it"

So, basically, I'm wondering if you have understood my intentions.
And there's no reason to patronize me, by the way.

Home of Barca Fans