Which player in his prime (active or retired) would fit prime Barca the most?

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yes you are of course correct that Ronaldo helped drive his stats, it's just that his football would have been amazing without Ronaldo, and he'd still be the best in the world if he scored 20 goals a season rather than 50. To be fair I did not do your post justice as I spoke about something unrelated to your stats point, and I apologise for that.

no, no i apologise for misunderstanding your post

Bobo32

I think we bought Zambrotta as a rightback where he looked like the second coming of Francesco Coco, but he was always better as inverted LB. I actually enjoyed seeing Thuram at Barca because he was a classy player, but he was way past his best. Good point about systems as even Cannavaro was poor in Spain because of those changes.

The whole issue with Buffon was the ballplaying. And in hindsight it is something that never developed. Valdes probably got more opportunities then he deserved though being a homegrown lad, though his short peak was world class.

I remember watching him and Reina at Barcelona B where they would get a game each btw. And always preferred Valdes. Valdes was always great with his feet but a bit too overconfident. One moment of Valdes always sticks out in my mind though. It must have been 2002/2003 when Louis Van Gaal returned and we had a CL qualifier against a Polish side (Legia Warsow or Wislaw Krakov) and there was a long ball with the Polish striker running onto it. Valdes took it down on the volley with the man just in front of him and then casually passed it out to his defender. An absolute world class action.

Something is telling me it was the same day that Villarreal won the Intertoto Cup against Torino where Reina starred in the shootout. But I am sure my mind is just meshing memories together.

EDIT.
Legia Warsaw on the 28th. Villarreal beat Torino on penalties on the 27th. Almost got it.

I enjoyed Thuram as well. He had some of that calmness that Pep later got out of Abidal, I think he was truly a good player, even after his physique was gone, and perhaps we can make a case for him taking a CB spot in 2012 Barcelona when he was in his prime? I remember (although I was pretty young then) how he stood out in a game I randomly watched with Parma, before he had gotten France to the final in -98...

As I remember it, Zambrotta was simply a very bad fit for spanish football in general and Barcelonas way of playing in particular. He played a bit like a guy in PES with 90+ in speed and physique attributes but ~30 in technique, constantly holding the dash button...
I enjoyed your stories about Valdes and Reina btw!

Bobo32

Mavericky Puig
Yeah, I think Puig unironically could improve that team when at his best, by subbing Villa and putting Iniesta at LW, sometimes.
If I was to build an improved 2012 squad, I think I'd have Puig there, in order to have the option for that tactical switch with a bit more control up front and more intensity at midfield. I think it could work against the buses, where Villa didn't get much space anyway.

Home of Barca Fans