Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaudi

Even with all give the ball to Dembele stupidity if we attacked the box we would have scored. Demb actualy improved a lot in 2nd half.
I don't know why we always fall back to static games after couple of good games and a sign we are moving in a right direction? Is it fear, losing mentality, I don't know?

But, sometimes you need luck, that was a pen and with 1:1 we would be in good situation, and then you build confidence and move forward. Look at RM last year, who will remember they were outplayed by us, Chelsea, City, PSG and L'pool,,some luck and you take it all.

Redbuck

If Xavi really wants to beat Inter at Camp Nou, Raphinha or Dembele should be dropped for Ansu Fati in order for the team to have someone in the box assisting Lewandowski. Balde has to start also, cos he'll complement Ansu really well.

Barcilliant

I can't stand our constant complaining about refereeing. If we played well we wouldn't care about that penalty. FFS Xavi, stop complaining and start improving our tactics!

I hate that too. Xavi is always pissing and moaning, making stupid excuses and taking no accountability. It doesn't matter whether as player or manager.
Even if we win big against Inter you can't trust this team to not fuck up the next two matches.

Raketa10

Even with all give the ball to Dembele stupidity if we attacked the box we would have scored. Demb actualy improved a lot in 2nd half.
I don't know why we always fall back to static games after couple of good games and a sign we are moving in a right direction? Is it fear, losing mentality, I don't know?

But, sometimes you need luck, that was a pen and with 1:1 we would be in good situation, and then you build confidence and move forward. Look at RM last year, who will remember they were outplayed by us, Chelsea, City, PSG and L'pool,,some luck and you take it all.

I am not saying you are wrong but we need to stop relying on luck and individual inspiration in attack. We are not RM and we never were, they know how to win when they play like shit, we don't. If we want to win something big in the next couple of seasons we need to significantly improve our attacking game.

Barcilliant

I am not saying you are wrong but we need to stop relying on luck and individual inspiration in attack. We are not RM and we never were, they know how to win when they play like shit, we don't. If we want to win something big in the next couple of seasons we need to significantly improve our attacking game.

Probably would be a good idea to buy decent attackers instead of Torres and Raphinia.

serghei

Probably would be a good idea to buy decent attackers instead of Torres and Raphinia.

Yes, of course. Sign Haaland and Mbappe. :lol:

Or Nunez, or Anthony for 100m, or Werner for 80m or what it was... or Grealish for 100m... come on...

Torres is a flop, Raphinha is good material to work with if you know what you are doing and don't have ludicrous expectations.

iniestaGOAT

That bum didnt improve in the second half. He improved when there was 10 mins left to go and inter just let him do whatever he wanted cause they knew he sucked.

This is over, its back to europa. Win the league or xavi gets fired.

Raketa10

I honestly don't think that players are our main problem. We don't have a superb team but we for sure have a very good one. We were playing against an average Inter yesterday and not top team like Bayern or City. Try to remember that AC Milan scored 3 goals against that same team! In addition to that, they were missing probably two of their best players Brozovic and Lukaku.

Furthermore, problem is that we have no idea whatsoever how to break the lines or how to move in attack. Our game is slow and predictable and it's been like that for years now. We don't have any idea what to do in attack other than cross the ball or to give the ball to Dembele and wait for the miracle to happen. How can we call that a good coaching?

Regarding Raphinha and Torres, those are the players that Xavi requested, it's up to him to find their best position and utilize them in the best possible way. In the end, let's be honest he got every player he requested, except Bernardo. It has to be noted that we didn't create one single clear chance yesterday. Even that disallowed goal came from the mistake of Inter's defense. Xavi seriously needs to step up or his coaching career will be a true disaster.

Last edited:

Birdy

It's like 90% of our attacks follow exact script :

CBs pass to Busquets
Busquets pass to Gavi or Pedri
Gavi or Pedri pass to Dembele
Dembele dribbles or crosses

And on repeat the entire game whenever we face good organised defenses. You can not find any top team with such a rigid attack like ours that follows the exact same sequence every single time.

As I mentioned it works ok against 4 ATB when the fullbacks are in 1v1 Vs the wingers, but when good teams begin to double them, we have no options and no ideas what to do.

For some reason, we played against a deep 5 ATB block yesterday and the fullbacks and midfielders weren't attacking the box. That is like the first rule of breaking down deep and dense defenses, you need overlaps from fullbacks and midfielders to attack the box to give the attack options.

I keep saying this but Spanish teams and coaches are very weak tactically and don't seem to realise yet how easy it is to give us problems if they sit in defense. We score a lot of goals in LaLiga because we play teams like Sociedad that do attacking 4-2-3-1 and leave miles of open space in defense.

Agree with everything you said about Xavi's struggles with 5atb (and thanks for the xG numbers)
The games against Eintracht last season were telling, and I think Xavi hasn't improved at all when facing those low blocks with 5 atb

IMO, there are 2 ways to break a 3/5atb parked bus:
1) Either you put an aggressive fullback to operate on the flank together with your winger, so you have a 2v1 on the flank (kinda like Alaba and Ribery or Lam and Robben for Bayern in the past), create numerical superiority there that leads one of the two to cross or pass in the box from good position. The danger here is of course that you leave a numerical inferiority at the back, and in a ball loss they can hit you quickly with long passes

2) Or you populate the areas between the 5 defenders with mds that attack the box directly. That creates insecurity to them, they hesitate to step up, more spaces are opened. But most importantly our wingers have more options in the box.

IMO no2 was the best strategy to go yesterday because we didn't have players to play 1, and with our backline we could suffer from quick breaks

But guess what? Xavi's picked the wrong personnel to play 2. In case of 2, the most important players are the ones that are in the left and right half-space, which are those that will attack the box when the ball goes to wingers
It was evident from 10 minutes of play only that Kessie was far better suited in this role than Gavi.
Gavi is great in aggression and pressing, but he is an interior and his positioning when team is on the ball tends to drift further towards the md.
That's why he was invisible yesterday. There were numerous occasions where he should have attacked the box, and he didn't

Then, on the other side, Raphinia in the half-space was lost AF, it's not his position nor his strengths.
Ansu was better when he came on, but still his positioning was odd at times. Even in the dying minutes where everyone was finally occupying their box, Ansu was clashing on the left flank with Balde. Did no one tell him that he needs to get in the damn box?
Funny as it may sound, I think Ferran would have played that role much better.

These problems are seen in the average position graphic, where Xavi's 'box' formation can also be seen.

FeQSiDEaMAA69AQ

Where is Raphinia (22)? too close to Alonso, and Lewa is too close to him.
The spacing is bad

We really saw 2 only for 10 minutes at the end of the game when people got finally into Inter's box

A lot for Xavi to correct until next Wednesday when we play Inter again

Last edited:

PhilS

Got to go with the talent and potential now, there is no sense persisting with all the retreads. Experience be damned. No more Alonso, no more Bellerin. Start Balde, Fati, Garcia, Kounde at FB when he returns. Continue lots of minutes for Kessie and De Jong, rest Busquets more even if this losses some games in the short term. This probably won't magically instantly convert Barca into a CL contender, but you must now invest the playing time in the players who have the upside potential. This will accelerate Barca getting back towards the top in the forthcoming seasons.

Barcilliant

Looks like history is repeating itself.
Last year Koeman was done by October and it looks like Xavi will be done too.
Last year I told people we would be in EL and that's what happened. Looks like this is going to happen this year too. Inzaghi will play eight at the back if he has to.
Time to bring in a proper coach of we go out of CL. Hire Tuchel in a temporary basis and see 8f he's a good fit. If not recoup in the summer and look for a proper coach. Also we need to upgrade our so called DNA or style. You are not going to win anything with this putty patty bullshit football. Look how Pep has evolved over the years. Xavi is stuck 8n time. No way Pep is coming back here even if Laporta begs him.
Like to hear opinions on who would replace Xavi.

Birdy

Instances of our BAD defensive shape last night:
FeS9yupWIAM_-Ru

FeS_sD2XoAEqaxa

XAvi insisted in a 4-4-2ish defending against Inter, despite amending our offensive structure.
The result was that Inter could easily find the free man out on the flank, or straight Infront of Eric and Christensen.
The play that led to Chalganoglu's goal started from a long pass of DiMarco to the unmarked Darmian far on the right:

FeTB674WAAIACQm

Birdy

Instances of how Dembele was locked up in 2v1 and 3v1 situations.

FeTEECTWIAAGyOd

FeTEEBRXkAM9X1J

FeTEEBSXEAE2xmT

And when there was space elsewhere, the poor passer on the ball (Roberto) could not see/use it:
FeTFVs5XgAA4dUU

The moral is the one some of us have been shouting about many times:
Dembele should receive at an advantage (1v1) on the flank, not a disadvantage
For this to happen you need to create FAR from where he is, and switch the ball to him, rather than slowly passing to the ball towards the right side of the pitch

Notice also how Kessie changes that at the dying minutes of the game creating space for chances:
FeTImqAXEAAFn6q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans