Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

delancey

He should have gone to Man City under Pep for a season or two. I mean, wtf would he not want to learn from the best? This is embarrassing.

khaled_a_d

He should have gone to Man City under Pep for a season or two. I mean, wtf would he not want to learn from the best? This is embarrassing.

He worked under Pep for 4 years, under Del Bosque for 6 years, under LVG, Lucho, Aragones & Rijkaard who were all great coaches.
It isn't about learning from others really, rather than learning from own mistakes.

I have more problem with his current assistant though

delancey

He worked under Pep for 4 years, under Del Bosque for 6 years, under LVG, Lucho, Aragones & Rijkaard who were all great coaches.
It isn't about learning from others really, rather than learning from own mistakes.

Barcelona is not a club where managers come to learn. Regardless, ideas clearly did not sink in. And appointing your own brother as assistant is just silly.

Porque

Another user said this, but the biggest issue is that post international break we become a completely inferior team. It has happened twice now, in both of Xavi seasons.

Suggests that there is an issue for the team re-incorporating into the club setup (be it training, intensity, or other) after an international break. Could be that the training methods are not structured for the off-period- which this break resulted in a ton of injuries even if we ignore the drop of form.

That's a big worry for me as it means that even if we get back into form over the next weeks, we are set to lose it all and slump again big after the next break- and the next one.

Compare this to Pep City.

fergus90

I’ve been tempted to say this many times. You read it a lot that he should go to this club or that club. But Xavi himself spent his entire playing career watching top coaches day in, day out. There’s no better way to earn your coaching badges than that.

Him guiding Hertha Berlin or Cadiz to 15th prior would have made no difference. Stubbornness doesn’t learn from experience and Xavi is a man loyal to his ideas. That’s his issue.

Birdy

Koeman played better or at the very least similar level of football without 200m+ of investment.

Ok, interesting point.

Let's be more specific:
Under Koeman we played great football starting with that away win at Bibalo in Jan '21 up until the CdR final, including highlights such as the 6 goals at Annoeta, the CdR final domination, and dominating PSG in France despite the 1-1

That's roughly 3.5 months of good football

Under Xavi we played good football after the international break last january-feb till the following international break in march.
That's roughly 2 months of good football (Feb-March) with highlights the 0-4 at Bernabeu and the 1-4 at Napoli

This season, we haven't yet played good football under Xavi. The 4 goals at Anoeta and Seville were masking meh displays where the opponent dominated for large spells.
The other wins against LL fodder came out of sheer quality of individuals rather than a good collective plan

So until now, all in all, with Koeman we have played roughly 1.5 more months of good football all in all

Birdy

With Oscar Hernandez you mean? Why? elaborate

Don't agree at all with the rest.
Yes, a player learns a lot when being coached by top coaches, but it's a completely different story when he is asked to coach basically under a top coach.
You see things with different eyes and the perspective of coaching is worlds apart from the perspective of playing.
Arteta could never have become the coach he is now if he hadn't practiced coaching under Pep

Rory

Ok, interesting point.

Let's be more specific:
Under Koeman we played great football starting with that away win at Bibalo in Jan '21 up until the CdR final, including highlights such as the 6 goals at Annoeta, the CdR final domination, and dominating PSG in France despite the 1-1

That's roughly 3.5 months of good football

Under Xavi we played good football after the international break last january-feb till the following international break in march.
That's roughly 2 months of good football (Feb-March) with highlights the 0-4 at Bernabeu and the 1-4 at Napoli

This season, we haven't yet played good football under Xavi. The 4 goals at Anoeta and Seville were masking meh displays where the opponent dominated for large spells.
The other wins against LL fodder came out of sheer quality of individuals rather than a good collective plan

So until now, all in all, with Koeman we have played roughly 1.5 more months of good football all in all

Let's just say those numbers are correct for arguments sake. I see that as quite alarming. Under Koeman who had a massively worse squad we've played better football for longer. Of course Xavi has had better results in big games, which deserves credit. I think Xavi is getting better results in the league purely because our squad is vastly superior to everyone's except Real Madrids and arguably Atletico's. He's been a waste of time so far.

Porque

Well Arteta is the in trend example, and rightly so given Arsenals start.

And it definitely helped him being the right hand of Pep.

But what helped him more was that this is his 4th season at Arsenal. If we were going to compare, could we really afford to give Xavi 4 seasons, have him miss out on the CL each season and drop 30 or so losses over those three years?

We all know the answer.

Now though, the point I will say is that it is a shame that instead of hauling up in Qatar, that Xavi didn't do that Co job with Pep in City for example. It probably wouldn't change too much to how we are right now in all honesty, but there would be a difference in learning from Pep being the manager of you and being the manager with you. Though greater for someone outside of the LaMasia success loop like Mikel.

Last edited:

Birdy

Casual Birdy retarded L.

The L is all yours.
Part of the reason Messi orphans like you are detached from reality is that you don't realize when the team sucks
6 years for shitty humiliations in Europe one after another with your idol being the face of the team.
If you had any pride in you, you would have kept a distance from identifying with him

Horatio

You're welcome
I fear we still have serious mental issues. We have seen the talent our players possess individually. But somehow they cannot deliver a collective performance for long stretches. Either everyone is bad, or some shine and others decide not to show up, and next time vice versa.

Last edited:

Nazario1985

I fear we still have serious mental issues. We have seen the talent our players possess individually. But somehow they cannot deliver a collective performance for long stretches. Either everyone is bad, or some shine and others decide not to show up, and next time vice versa.

It's ironic, but that's like the number one reason you need a coach in the first place.

Group mentality can make a yoyo, if not governed by the coach.

But i feel like Xavi himself need a manager to wake him up you know someone like ..

[tw]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="fr" dir="ltr">Apr?s une grosse d?faite, un coach de foot claque tous ses joueurs (Turquie) <a href="https://t.co/AVJKmE9Hsd">pic.twitter.com/AVJKmE9Hsd</a></p>— louis (@beubeugne) <a href="https://twitter.com/beubeugne/status/1188919194831728640?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 28, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/tw]

serghei

This video of Henry explaining how in the last third at Pep's Barca the attackers had freedom to exploit the channels they wanted is showing the big difference between Pep and Xavi in the last 3d of the field. You don't micromanage offensive players because that is limiting their impact. That is why you pay big money for these players, to trust their instincts in attack and their vision of the game.

Xavi does some things good, like Pep, but in other areas he is unlike Guardiola, sadly in a negative way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans