Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andresito

Staff member
Dont agree with that. It is much more about quality and way team is set up.

Real with their monster mentality have lost league to Barca by double digits and took a hammering from City in CL.

City who had not won CL and lost many ties in a way they shouldnt. They didnt all of a sudden become mentality monsters to win CL what happened was signing the right players and Pep playing in way that came through.

Folk just decide about mentality after the fact.

Playing wrong team and thinking likes of Busquets can keep up with top European teams is more important.. Busi could have the best 'mentality' in that side but still lack too much in his legs.
Quality is the main ingredient here, but mentality can help give a boost. Would not claim City are mentality monsters now that they've won no.

Madrid are without a doubt the side which have gone through when been the worse side most times and I'd also bet they're the side to turn the most games around in knockouts. It's part of the squad culture and it's being passed on from Modric, Kroos, Carvajal etc.

It's not a switch they can turn on whenever they need it and sometimes the opponent's quality is just too much, especially now with the old guard being washed. But it sure has helped them a lot in CL these recent years. The league is a totally different competition.

iniestaGOAT

Quality is the main ingredient here, but mentality can help give a boost. Would not claim City are mentality monsters now that they've won no.

Madrid are without a doubt the side which have gone through when been the worse side most times and I'd also bet they're the side to turn the most games around in knockouts. It's part of the squad culture and it's being passed on from Modric, Kroos, Carvajal etc.

It's not a switch they can turn on whenever they need it and sometimes the opponent's quality is just too much, especially now with the old guard being washed. But it sure has helped them a lot in CL these recent years. The league is a totally different competition.

What helped them in CL was other teams being mental midgets and believing the Madrid hype.

It has nothing to do with Madrid. It's in their DNA to get spanked every season by Barcelona though

Especially in xavi era.

Like the great pique once said

We are back baby!!!

In XAVIBALL we trust!!!

JamDav1982

Madrid since Ronaldo left have had one top CL run when they won it.

Other than that in the other four attempts been out in last 16 twice.. once when Ajax put 4 past them at home when leading and once to City. Of the other two times they lost in semis Chelsea and then hammered by City.

For such mental warriors they have won past the QFs once in last 5 seasons and not won past group stages twice and suffered some hammerings when were ahead in ties went out in.

Andresito

Staff member
Better have that resignation letter ready if he doesn't get a convincing W today. His record in CL is atrocious, losing 50% of the games I believe. Just worse than Koeman who was at like 36%.

Temptation

Better have that resignation letter ready if he doesn't get a convincing W today. His record in CL is atrocious, losing 50% of the games I believe. Just worse than Koeman who was at like 36%.
Win or loss, he'll get rewarded with a new contract. This match won't change shit.

Givenchy

Opposition weren't great BUT that's 2 really entertaining, enjoyable matches in a row now.. is Xavi on to something?

jamrock

With all the quality we now have in the squad, I'm thinking this will be our big game XI, if the opposition has a fast winger.

Mats

Aruajo.. Kounde.. Christensen.. Cancelo

............ De jong... Gundogan

............Pedri.............Gavi/Felix

...... Raphinha..... Lewa.

Slight tweaks of adding Balde depending on the opposition and going with two FB and switching the position of gavi and Gundogan, oriol will start in the tough games but maybe not the elite ones.

The tweak I mentioned of switching gavi and Gundogan, could be our Midfield 4 of the future after gundogan leaves and If we secure Felix, assuming he keeps producing.

Add yamal and roque up to, and by God we might have the best team in the world again, if everyone develops how we expect them to.

Systems gets the best out of de jong, he plays well anywhere so long as it's a double pivot, gavi gets back to Midfield, pedri is tying things together.

Thank you Laporta.

JamDav1982

FDJ was best mid in previous system and was best mid in the 433 under Xavi and Koeman season before.

The double pivot actually suits Gavi more than anyone it would appear when he can play with freedom.

Gundogan has not played that box to box role so there has bot been that tweak to make really. He did tonight when FDJ and Romeu went off though.

Raphinha isnt nailed ahead of Ferran or Lamal and Canelo wont playt LB.

That team is not what Barca will be dont think.

KingLeo10

Yeah in terms of pure quality we are very close to Bayern, maybe even better.

In terms of mentality is another question.. Think teams could beat us in a two legged tie based on what we've seen the past seasons, even before Xavi. I'm very much looking forward to have my mind changed this season though. I miss the times where we had an aura of being untouchable.

Unfortunately, that ain't happening anytime soon. Need a bunch of all time greats all over the field for that...and we have a bunch of very good to a few world class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans