Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Possession and distribution game is still good, but every season he seems to be less and less creative.

League through balls

09-10 33
10-11 25
11-12 18

Less runs being made, certianly the case watching most last season with Messi almost dropping as deep as him on most occasions, what's he supposed to do?

J

jiopi

Less runs being made, certianly the case watching most last season with Messi almost dropping as deep as him on most occasions, what's he supposed to do?
I don't think that's the case, one of the reasons Messi has to drop deep is when midfield can't provide the ball to him.

League throughballs (Messi + Xavi + Iniesta)

09-10 26 + 33 + 15 = 74
10-11 34 + 21 + 25 = 80
11-12 56 + 18 + 17 = 91

Ode to Django

Well i know what i saw last season, the tactics switched to pass the ball to Messi dribble past 4-5 players rinse + repeat, 10-11 season Zlatan was around standing still as he does with no movement whatsoever, 08-09/09-10 was much better in terms of movement/runs being made.

It just reminds me of Pirlo in his last few seasons at Milan, he didn't play particularly well but that's because the team was so narrow with no movement, it really hurt his influence & i think likewise with Xavi.

Last edited:
J

jiopi

I don't agree with that, for me Xavi just seems more and more conservative with his passing, even too conservative. He chooses more and more the easy way out. And for me that is worrying because, as an example, the chance of scoring from a throughball is a lot higher, than the risk of conceeding a goal from loosing the ball.

Ode to Django

I'd agree that he's very conservative but that can also be a good thing i guess, it means more domination for Barca & less chance for the defense to be exposed, but i understand it could be a little frustrating to watch at times because it can slow things down.

Ursegor

World Champion
When Xavi played 33 throughballs in 09 / 10, he played 2799 minutes in La Liga. In 11-12 he only played 2157 minutes. That should also explain why it dropped from 33 to 18.

J

jiopi

I'd agree that he's very conservative but that can also be a good thing i guess, it means more domination for Barca & less chance for the defense to be exposed, but i understand it could be a little frustrating to watch at times because it can slow things down.
Yeah, but you don't win games with possession alone, you need something concrete, something creative.

J

jiopi

When Xavi played 33 throughballs in 09 / 10, he played 2799 minutes in La Liga. In 11-12 he only played 2157 minutes. That should also explain why it dropped from 33 to 18.

League + UCL throughball for Xavi, for every minute played

09-10 74 min
10-11 113 min
11-12 125 min

Ursegor

World Champion
09-10 centreforward upfront.

10-11 and 11-12 no centreforward upfront.

Messi in the centre doesn't move his ass. He drops into midfield, collects the ball, carries it forward and plays the throughball to the wingers.

Xavi deserves a top class centreforward upfront. :xavi:

Ode to Django

Messi in the centre doesn't move his ass. He drops into midfield, collects the ball, carries it forward and plays the throughball to the wingers.

+1000

J

jiopi

Haven't been problem for Messi, or Iniesta.

League + UCL throughball for every minute played

Messi - Xavi - Iniesta

09-10 109min - 74min - 120min
10-11 85min - 113min - 102min
11-12 61min - 125min - 125min

Maria

Your love for Xavi is blind..:lol:

Unlike a few seasons ago, now he constantly ignores our players runs(he did that even against Valencia with Pedro) and the fact that Messi drops so deep it might have something to do with Xavi's prefference for the easy pass. Our team definitelly has tactical problems and one of them is that apart from Messi and sometimes Iniesta no one seems willing to send the ball forward. Right now we look like a better version of Argentina's NT.

Well i know what i saw last season, the tactics switched to pass the ball to Messi dribble past 4-5 players rinse + repeat, 10-11 season Zlatan was around standing still as he does with no movement whatsoever, 08-09/09-10 was much better in terms of movement/runs being made.

2010-2011 season was with Pedro, Villa and Messi making constant runs and switching positions between them..

Well i know what i saw last season, the tactics switched to pass the ball to Messi dribble past 4-5 players rinse + repeat..

That was because Xavi's problems with the knee, the injuries of Villa, Pedro, Alexis and Iniesta..Pep did what he needed to keep us competitive and Messi carried all the burden on his shoulders. But right now everyone is supposed to be healthy, the team had the first proper pre-season in years and we still look Messi-dependend.

Don't know what Tito could do, but he needs to do something because the 2nd half of the game against Valencia was like watching the same 3 minutes clip over and over again.

Your post would make more sense if Xavi wouldn't have ignored Villa, Pedro or Alexis so many times since 2010 that it's it could be noticed with the naked eye, without the need of any statistic. And if Ibra wouldn't have been benched half way into the 2009/2010 season.

That is false..and you have Osasuna as an example. How many through balls Messi received in that game from Alexis and Iniesta and how many balls did he received from Xavi?
You like it or not, for once it's not Messi's fault..with Xavi on the field we gain control of the ball, but we lose other things. It also doesn't make sense that Messi can send through balls to other players, but Xavi can't(because you see, Messi is next to him).

Last edited:

Maria

^ He does. The commentators won't ever shut up about him. Many people faun over his passing skills constantly online and whatever. People know. Now if you're complaining because he doesn't get much awards now that is just stupid.

Your constant showing of love towards our La Masia players is overwhelming.

AzaR

2eyam3t.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans