Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

No they beat the majority of mid to lower teams and the run went on against those sides is reason challenged.

Back to this season and Rayo? When a minute ago it was all about reasons Xavi needs time due to squad.

Barca have released Messi, sold Griezmann and had 3/4 starts from Fati, Dembele and Aguero all season. You are in for rude awakening if think Barca will start beating every team in league below Barca with those players and Pedri/FDJ missing.

I just answered for last season. The squad was better. In the summer we got rid of the best players to save money. End of argument, case closed. It needed to happen, since the team was not winning big titles despite those high-earners earning obscene money for a club in our position.

This season the story is different. We sold some stars, we have a more raw team, but one that is still good enough to regularly bit minnows of La Liga. Koeman couldn't do it, he got sacked. Xavi will get some months of accomodation, and will be asked to do the same so we can climb back and get the top 4 we need.

If Xavi got named in the summer, I might have expected as high as a title challenge (would have been a great for him, a solid debut) as neither of AM or Madrid are playing very well and are losing many points themselves. But that is lost as the start so far is disastrous and lost both direct duels with AM and Madrid.

JamDav1982

Missing from the team yesterday, outgoings and injuries :
Messi, Griezmann, Pedri, FDJ, Araujo, Dembele...

And people think we can maintain last season's level replacing those with old relics and Barca B youth lol

Koeman should win the title with the squad from last year or be sacked.

Koeman shoudl finish top four easily and beat all lower teams even with injuries to best players in squad.

Xavi? Give him 2/3 years and realise he has an impossible job due to the squad and point to other coaches given 3/4 years to get it correct.

They are panicking Xavi doesnt improve things as much as made out due to Koemans 'incompetence' holding team back.

serghei

Koeman should win the title with the squad from last year or be sacked.

Koeman shoudl finish top four easily and beat all lower teams even with injuries to best players in squad.

Xavi? Give him 2/3 years and realise he has an impossible job due to the squad and point to other coaches given 3/4 years to get it correct.

They are panicking Xavi doesnt improve things as much as made out due to Koemans 'incompetence' holding team back.

I said regularly beat the lower-level teams. Xavi will be expected to do so, so the same expectations are applied after some months of knowing the players and tactics bedding in. What's the problem?

What the hell are you still going on about last season? We will never know what Xavi would have done with last season's squad. Maybe Xavi rotates more and doesn't ruin the end with his decision, maybe not. Fuck knows. Move along.

JamDav1982

I just answered for last season. The squad was better. In the summer we got rid of the best players to save money. End of argument, case closed.

This season the story is different. We sold some stars, we have a more raw team, but one that is still good enough to regularly bit minnows of La Liga. Koeman couldn't do it, he got sacked. Xavi will get some months of accomodation, and will be asked to do the same so we can climb back and get the top 4 we need.

If Xavi got named in the summer, I might have expected as high as a title challenge as neither of AM or Madrid are playing very well and are losing many points themselves. But that is lost as the start so far is disastrous and lost both direct duels with AM and Madrid.

Yes the squad was better than this season can keep repeating that when all agree.

Better than Real or Atletico? No probably not and that including the most disruptive season can ever get on back off no league title and worst game in clubs history v Bayern.

Again... all about how bad Koeman has been this season ignoring the squad and injuries but for Xavi it is used as excuses about how he needs time.

What is expectations for Xavi this season and next?

JamDav1982

I said regularly beat the lower-level teams. Xavi will be expected to do so, so the same expectations are applied after some months of knowing the players and tactics bedding in. What's the problem?

What the hell are you still going on about last season? We will never know what Xavi would have done with last season's squad. Maybe Xavi rotates more and doesn't ruin the end with his decision, maybe not. Fuck knows. Move along.

Barca have regularly beat the lower teams.

Keep up this idea Barca cant beat top teams and fail in too many v smaller teams when finish third and win the cup.

Doesnt fit.

Will never know. With Xavi may have finished outside top four and win nothing. Agreed.

serghei

Yes the squad was better than this season can keep repeating that when all agree.

Better than Real or Atletico? No probably not and that including the most disruptive season can ever get on back off no league title and worst game in clubs history v Bayern.

Again... all about how bad Koeman has been this season ignoring the squad and injuries but for Xavi it is used as excuses about how he needs time.

What is expectations for Xavi this season and next?

:lol: You are incredible.

It's a known rule that when a manager comes in mid-season he is at a disadvantage. Preseason is when you work at team issues, you have time to trial and error and so far and so forth. But you, purely biased as you are, can't wait for Xavi to register some bad results at first to say how right you were that he is a crap manager.

Nice try. Doesn't fly. Give him normal conditions like every manager, which includes preseason and a say on players, even free ones (you know like Koeman getting Luuk De Jong, en embarrassingly bad player). And he will be expected the same as Koeman was.

Last edited:

Messigician

The cult of koeman is the most baffling thing I've ever seen.

Seems to have sprung up overnight

Got no idea what the fuck he's done to receive this type of support while Xavi is being judged before he even officially has the job

JamDav1982

:lol: You are incredible.

It's a known rule that when a manager comes in mid-season he is at a disadvantage. Preseason is when you work at team issues, you have time to trial and error and so far and so forth. But you, purely biased as you are, can't wait for Xavi to register some bad results at first to say how right you were that he is a crap manager.

Nice try. Doesn't fly. Give him normal conditions like every manager, which includes preseason and a say on players. And he will be expected the same as Koeman was.

Obviously coming in mid season is not as great as at start. Irrelevant point that does not go against anything that was said.

Plenty coaches came in and improved teams mid season though. Tuchel being most obvious example and players coming back from injury will be bigger impact than anything Xavi does in training pitch.

What are expectations for Xavi this season and next?

jairzinho

Agreed. We don't have 2/3 years to figure things out. With the state club is in now, we need a coach with experience. Someone with a proven track record. Xavi has none of these things. He's too much of a risk. Any top club/organization that's in the mud, you always go for someone with the best cv to start turning things around. That's what you do. Barca dna won't save us now. fans are deluded as hell.

JamDav1982

Koeman should have went in the summer.

Laporta cant keep him and undermine him it was the worst possible outcome.

Last season he did a good job for majority of season at possibly worst time in history of club to take the job with all going on. Steadied the ship, put title run together and won cup.. more than likes of Real won.

He then fucked up by shoe horning old players like Pique into team and league slipped away but that is not just on him and players have to take responsibility also for way performances dropped.

Could have been sacked for way team tailed off but the point is not Koeman was amazing and should still be in charge it is the double standards and all these excuses about time and club circumstances Xavi is coming in to when none of that was allowed for Koeman.

serghei

Obviously coming in mid season is not as great as at start. Irrelevant point that does not go against anything that was said.

Plenty coaches came in and improved teams mid season though. Tuchel being most obvious example and players coming back from injury will be bigger impact than anything Xavi does in training pitch.

What are expectations for Xavi this season and next?

This season, getting top 4 would be great but could miss out due to the difference from Sociedad and Sevilla being pretty big as it is now: 8 points. Wouldn't hold it against him if we miss out due to being a fucked up season with many errors from Laporta with the manager situation. The top 4 just became difficult. Koeman was sacked because of that.

Of course, he should still finish higher than 10th or whatever it is we are on now.

Next season: top 4 is mandatory with some clear ideas of play being visible. I doubt we will have money for some top transfers, so if we do get some top players things could change and the objective could go up to title challenge. Unlikely though.

After next season (by that time I suppose we will have money for 2-3 very good transfers): title challenge.

If somebody demands more than that for a team full of youngsters and with no money, they are delusional. I'd consider that pretty demanding.

JamDav1982

This season, getting top 4 would be great but could miss out due to the difference from Sociedad and Sevilla being pretty big as it is now: 8 points. Wouldn't hold it against him if we miss out due to being a fucked up season with many errors from Laporta with the manager situation. The top 4 just became difficult. Koeman was sacked because of that.

Of course, he should still finish higher than 10th or whatever it is we are on now.

Next season: top 4 is mandatory with some clear ideas of play being visible. I doubt we will have money for some top transfers, so if we do get some top players things could change and the objective could go up to title challenge. Unlikely though.

After next season (by that time I suppose we will have money for 2-3 very good transfers): title challenge.

If somebody demands more than that, they are delusional.

Barca are 10th having an injury crisis and having played likes of Real and Atletico in that time. No chance stay there when players are fit whether that be Koeman or Xavi in charge.

If there is a narrative Xavi took over at 10th and steered Barca up table that wont be accurate or allow for circumstances.

Xavi will have benefit of players back from injuries, young players with experience, Barca with room to make moves in market and not letting go of best players.

He is going to be in far better circumstances than Koeman was and expectations with it.

For me I just want him to bring back basics to team when all fit and not be bogged down in an out dated style based on too many old players.

serghei

Barca are 10th having an injury crisis and having played likes of Real and Atletico in that time. No chance stay there when players are fit whether that be Koeman or Xavi in charge.

If there is a narrative Xavi took over at 10th and steered Barca up table that wont be accurate or allow for circumstances.

Xavi will have benefit of players back from injuries, young players with experience, Barca with room to make moves in market and not letting go of best players.

He is going to be in far better circumstances than Koeman was and expectations with it.

For me I just want him to bring back basics to team when all fit and not be bogged down in an out dated style based on too many old players.

You won't see me praising Xavi to no end for finishing 2-3 places higher. Only if he makes top 4 would it be considered a top performance.

For me there's some things he has to be spot on about:

- speed of passing should go up a lot
- more shooting from good positions (almost never put the ball wide when you have space to shoot in the center at 16-20m range)
- fairness when dealing with old and young players
- good rotation
- good tactics and not wild experimentation with formulas and whatnot showing a lack of vision and plan
- good decisions in games with sub and timing of subs

Disappointed in almost all of these with Koeman.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

Xavi is already known for having a soft spot for players in Qatar according to Khaled and Pique/Busi/Roberto etc are his friends. If anyone thinks amigos culture will change when he comes it may just be the opposite. Don't be surprised if youth get actually less chances.

serghei

Koeman should have went in the summer.

Laporta cant keep him and undermine him it was the worst possible outcome.

Last season he did a good job for majority of season at possibly worst time in history of club to take the job with all going on. Steadied the ship, put title run together and won cup.. more than likes of Real won.

He then fucked up by shoe horning old players like Pique into team and league slipped away but that is not just on him and players have to take responsibility also for way performances dropped.

Could have been sacked for way team tailed off but the point is not Koeman was amazing and should still be in charge it is the double standards and all these excuses about time and club circumstances Xavi is coming in to when none of that was allowed for Koeman.

I agree with the story about last season, but this season Koeman was a disaster. The team showed nothing. Xavi will have to show more vs the weaker sides where squad quality can't be used as an argument for performing poorly, to get more time and trust.

And even in the big games, I expect better results from Xavi, those should not be discarded as unavoidable losses. Even likes of Betis cause more damage vs big sides than Koeman Barca did in 1.5 years almost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans