1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Nazario1985

He is good when the team doesn't need him to be good.

He is dog shit when the team needs the GK to save the day. (Liverpool ...etc)

Not a great GK characteristic

malvolio

He wasn't dog shit last night though. Maybe he could have taken a chance and went for the attackers head on that cross. But IMHO the whole play was too far from goal for him not to risk conceding and as GK you would have hoped the referee bails you out with a foul or something.

Closed the angle for the attacker and made two point blank saves afterwards. While Eric Garcia first lost his man and then proceeded to look at the second attacker scoring.

50-50 for a GK to get that far out and not risk flapping at air. Yet forum is in agreement that going out would have been best course of action and that Courtois would have successfully come out and saved the day.

cadiz-goal-1.png

Last edited:

Iniesta Ultra

terstegen.jpg

I don't know what it would feel like getting hit in the nose with that header which might've activated his flinch response but it appears MATS could've used his forehead to save it if he relaxed his body instead while extending arms and legs of course.

Dunno why pic comes up so small but the ball's right in front of his face before he flinched.

Last edited:

malvolio

View attachment 9397

I don't know what it would feel like getting hit in the nose with that header which might've activated his flinch response but it appears MATS could've used his forehead to save it if he relaxed his body instead while extending arms and legs of course.

Dunno why pic comes up so small but the ball's right in front of his face before he flinched.

Just watch it in real time and notice the distance between attacker and Stegen plus speed of ball coming at him. Impossible to react like you are suggesting. Yes, impossible even for new forum darling Courtois.

raedkuwait

Yup just watch it, the ball had a high arc and was close to him, any keeper would have come out and punched the ball, easy safe, but we all know this yellow face clown shits his pants when he sees a high ball coming his way. 😂🤣

Iniesta Ultra

Just watch it in real time and notice the distance between attacker and Stegen plus speed of ball coming at him. Impossible to react like you are suggesting. Yes, impossible even for new forum darling Courtois.

I've been hit directly in the face three times by a volleyball traveling around 70mph while defending the 3 meter line from the net. The second time was a direct hit on my left eye and even though I was able to close my eyes before impact the ball compressed and bruised my left eyeball. Had white blurred vision for couple hours and the optometrist was so fascinated by the inflammation the next day he looked inside it with light for half an hour. Afterwards I never played without protective glasses including the third time it happened but sad thing is I didn't trust my glasses not to break from impact which could do even more injury if it broke so I still flinched. If I had researched some expensive protective eyewear tested for certain impact and had total trust then would be no problem for me not to flinch with my face. The volleyball's much softer than a soccer ball so serious nose injury's not a concern unless it came at the perfect perpendicular angle.

The header coming at MATS I'm guessing is only going around 25-30mph and if you watch the replay you'll notice his flinch covers a much greater distance than needed if he were to have remained calm and saved with a header.

Last edited:

malvolio

I've been hit directly in the face three times by a volleyball traveling around 70mph while defending the 3 meter line from the net. The second time was a direct hit on my left eye and even though I was able to close my eyes before impact the ball compressed and bruised my left eyeball. Had white blurred vision for couple hours and the optometrist was so fascinated by the inflammation the next day he looked inside it with light for half an hour. Afterwards I never played without protective glasses including the third time it happened but sad thing is I didn't trust my glasses not to break from impact which could do even more injury if it broke so I still flinched. If I had researched some expensive protective eyewear tested for certain impact and had total trust then would be no problem for me not to flinch with my face. The volleyball's much softer than a soccer ball so serious nose injury's not a concern unless it came at the perfect perpendicular angle.

The header coming at MATS I'm guessing is only going around 25-30mph and if you watch the replay you'll notice his flinch covers a much greater distance than needed if he were to have remained calm and saved with a header.

WTF does that have to do with anything? Some of you are borderline trolling with these takes. Now Stegen has to make saves with his head at point blank range because some fellas on the Internet think it is the right idea. :lol:

That raedkuwait chap is another genius who thinks that ball was close to Stegen, when all the attackers and defenders were in line with the penalty spot or behind it. Which is at 11m of goal line - 10m from where Stegen was standing when ball was crossed.
For a cross that came pretty fast and with 2 attackers and 2 defenders trying to head/intercept that ball. Guess superhuman Courtois would have covered 10m in a second and get there before attackers could do something.

As usual with Stegen, people get irrational.

Iniesta Ultra

I wasn't sober when I watched the replay last night. I just rewatched and noticed Stegen's only about 2 meters from the header so yeah without face protection I stand corrected flinch response would be unavoidable.

Sailor Mars

I think it has to do more with Sociedad players having bad aim or we would be singing a completely different tune...

Even if the Sociedad players had good aim and scored, they would have been an indictment of the defensive play of the team, not the keeper. Barca allowed some easy chances for the opposition in both this game and the last one too.

Horatio

You're welcome
Yeah he had a decent game. But got overzealous again when he did not move ball forward sooner when he should have and instead invited Sociedad player to pressure him.

Home of Barca Fans