1 - Marc-Andre terrorist

malvolio

GK position is a crucial one. Club planned badly in last years and haven't gotten a decent sub.
Is it? Madrid won a Liga + CL double with Lunin and Kepa.

Sure, a great GK can bail you out at times. But at the end of the day it's the whole squad + manager that matters.

serghei

Is it? Madrid won a Liga + CL double with Lunin and Kepa.

Sure, a great GK can bail you out at times. But at the end of the day it's the whole squad + manager that matters.
Lunin did a good job, especially in the return leg vs City, but also vs Bayern.

Stegen is comparable to Kepa. If Stegen would've been at Madrid instead of Kepa, Lunin would've played ahead of him once Courtois got injured.

malvolio

Lunin did a good job, especially in the return leg vs City, but also vs Bayern.

Stegen is comparable to Kepa. If Stegen would've been at Madrid instead of Kepa, Lunin would've played ahead of him once Courtois got injured.
Lunin was dropping clangers at the Euros, basically reverted back to his usual self. Stegen is well clear off him.

I understand hating for the sake of hating, but Stegen comparable to Kepa?!

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
GK position is a crucial one. Club planned badly in last years and haven't gotten a decent sub.
True, we need a much much better sub - if (more like when) Marc-Andre ter Boko Haram fucks up change it up a bit and see if he gets a kick in his ass, if not than put him on the bench. Kochen is not half-bad, from what I've seen much better than Pena (which is a very low bar though).

serghei

Lunin was dropping clangers at the Euros, basically reverted back to his usual self. Stegen is well clear off him.

I understand hating for the sake of hating, but Stegen comparable to Kepa?!

Last season in CL, Lunin played 750 mins, Stegen played 720 mins.

Lunin had 34 saves from 45 shots on target against, 80% saving efficiency.

Stegen had 21 saves from 31 shots on target against, 70% efficiency.

And Lunin played against much higher level of competition, like Bayern, City. Madrid had much tougher draw, while Barca had a lucky draw.

I don't care much about whether Lunin could keep his form for long. When he was counted on due to Courtois injury, he produced superior goalkeeping to what Stegen usually produces, especially in big games.

malvolio

Last season in CL, Lunin played 750 mins, Stegen played 720 mins.

Lunin had 34 saves from 45 shots on target against, 80% saving efficiency.

Stegen had 21 saves from 31 shots on target against, 70% efficiency.

And Lunin played against much higher level of competition, like Bayern, City. Madrid had much tougher draw, while Barca had a lucky draw.

I don't care much about whether Lunin could keep his form for long. When he was counted on due to Courtois injury, he produced superior goalkeeping to what Stegen usually produces, especially in big games.
But is he a better GK than Stegen?

The point isn't what he can produce on a small sample of games. Otherwise it confirms my theory that you don't need the best of the best to win stuff. Although I'm 100% in agreement that we lacked planning by not getting a decent competitor for Stegen.

jamrock

Lack of ball knowledge by some here is crazy.

The most important job of the keeper is to make the save that matters.

Mats is the kind of keeper to make a save when we are up 2-0, but fuck up on the one where we are losing 2-1, but pushing to score the tying goal.

In a season you have about 8-10 of those moments, a top keeper saves 80% of them, Mats is lucky to get 60%, and in the CL it falls even lower.

He's a good league keeper, where over 38 games it levels out, but in the CL where it's primarily about moments,he can't be relied on.

He's starting to remind me of De jong, in that they both lack testicular fortitude.

El Gato

Villarato!
But is he a better GK than Stegen?
When MATS is having a season like this, and he has before, arguably yes

Not that either is performing independently of how the defense plays like some other keepers. Keylor Navas was arguably above both in that regard pulling out results on his own for several years, even when his height got exploited

Home of Barca Fans