1 - Victor Valdes

khaled_a_d

Am I the only one who wants him to reconsider and stay?

Right now ,after the way he handled his announcement of wanting to leave ,hell no ,add the fact that he is really overpaid ,I don't want him anywhere near the team next year
VV will always be remembered as a club legend ,but he has put the club in a bad situation
,and him staying might unsettle the team tbh

Y

Youngie

Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala has released an official statement denying that they are holding transfer talks with Victor Valdes. [fc_anji]

Official statement Anzhi: "Regarding rumors that Anji hold negotiations with Valdes, we announce that this information is groundless."

Robbie

off to arsenal imo

He isn't an improvement on Fabianski or Vito, and Szczesny is much younger and has the potential to be a world class keeper. We'd just push Szczesny to another club if we sign Valdes, and a couple of years down the line when he's bossing it, it will look like the biggest mistake of the decade.

0n0mat0p0eia

He isn't an improvement on Fabianski or Vito, and Szczesny is much younger and has the potential to be a world class keeper. We'd just push Szczesny to another club if we sign Valdes, and a couple of years down the line when he's bossing it, it will look like the biggest mistake of the decade.

By 'He' you dont mean Valdes?

Robbie

Szczesny-s-amazing-double-save-against-Liverpool-this-weekend-GIF.gif

He's only 22 and is the main keeper of a champions league club and the Polish NT. His dad was a keeper and played in the European cup as well (he punched Mancini in the face for diving) -- it's in his blood. He even went on loan as a teenager to league 2 and had to deal with rain, muddy pitches and shit defenders, and still ended up becoming a fan favourite in 6 months.

After having Almunia for 4 seasons, it's refreshing to have a keeper who actually believes in himself.

loozy

Not sure if serious about Szczesny...

I'd prefer Valdes to go to Arsenal than to some Russion/Arab club for the money.

Hasn't he lost his starting place in the national team since the red card?

He never instilled me with confidence, but then again, neither did the other goalies since Mad Jens. I just don't see Szczesny become a good goalie, tbh. And he might be confident, but if he does not back that confidence up with performance...

Last edited:

Robbie

Yeah I meant Valdes. He has great reflexes but isn't tested very much because of Barca's amazing group defending tactics. Plus he's terrible at dealing with corners, which will be the majority of what he would face in the premier league.

Y

Youngie

Yeah I meant Valdes. He has great reflexes but isn't tested very much because of Barca's amazing group defending tactics. Plus he's terrible at dealing with corners, which will be the majority of what he would face in the premier league.

I assume you didn't see Spain vs France last Tuesday?

Robbie

I'm not saying he's a bad keeper, just that he isn't what we need. His biggest weakness would be badly exposed in the premier league

loozy

Have you seen Szczesny fumble when dealing with corners this season?

Robbie

Not too often. The vast majority of the goals we concede is when we lose possession in the midfield, leaving giant gaps of space (where a DM would be) for a counter attack. Szczesny goes off his line too much to make up for it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It just goes to show how much of a team game football is. If we had someone like Gilberto, Flamini, or Diarra, everything would change.

Robbie

Well at least he would bring experience & a winners mentality, something which Arsenal lacks in recent times.

We don't win because we sell a vital starting 11 player every season, and are stuck in perpetual transition. Having some magical winning mentality doesn't mean anything. Money, a large squad, and fewer injuries does.

Home of Barca Fans