10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xaviniesta

usa is only country that has blocked it. thats because of the music. but im not gonna change it, i think gabriela y rodrigo goes very well with messi.

Zachary

he takes such sublime freekicks, with power. why not the penalties? aim for the top corners.. or bring variety .. hit in the middle sometime.. always the bottom right with shit power... but still there was soo much pressure, the keeper was always at the advantage especially after what that cunt kanoute did.. mo-fucka!

I think this whole thing is mental, including the PK miss. I was paying attention to Messi's PK's technique by observing his PK’s since last season and I have kind of figured out why he’s been so good at it. I’ve noticed that he does everything during the last few milliseconds previous to hitting the ball. Basically, he runs slowly and steadily and without changing speed and he patiently waits to make the right-or-left decision until the very moment that the goalie commits. Only then he knows to which side the ball is going, with very little time to aim and kick. This is a win-win strategy because, even if the goalie waited to commit until there is contact with the ball, by then it'll be just too late for him because he'll never get to the ball's path on time. It's also easy to see why, with this method, ball speed is immaterial. The last time I saw Leo missing a PK was up north somewhere, don't remember against who, but it was because his supporting foot (the right foot) gave way to the mud and the lower end of his body slipped forward faster than the rest of the body, making the ball go over the crossbar. Because of the split second decision-making issue, Leo needs super concentration because, as he runs towards the ball, he knows that there is a critical and very narrow decision making window coming up. His mental readiness is paramount and if he's not able to handle prevailing pressure, or anything that may be fogging his mind at that moment, the goalie will win. I noticed on that last PK vs. RM, Casillas "guessed" correctly to his left; luckily, he couldn't touch the ball. The big game pressure (and Casillas in front) may have gotten to Leo a little, because, if executed as planned, Casillas commitment would've been spotted on time by Messi and the kick would've gone to Casillas' right. Goal keepers never stay put until the kicker hits the ball. Never. And you can easily see how, every time, Leo will hit the ball right after the goalie commits.

But, Messi hasn't been his good old self lately. His mind, somehow, is not entirely there, plus his physical stamina is probably not 100% there either (He’s also missing passes much more than ever before). On the PK Saturday he just wasn't there entirely. If he was a super-human, and had a super-brain, he would've thought, either "I can’t concentrate on split second decisions here, so I need to kick this one with everything I've got", or "I better have somebody else take this". Varas was already leaning left a split second before Messi hit the ball. Leo, simply, was not as sharp as he always is because his sensory system knew that Varas was already going left when he kicked the ball….left. The most phenomenal thing about this is that, although Varas was already leaning left, his feet were still, not only planted on the ground, but just about on the line, which is very rare because most goalies you see on slo-mo, they’re way ahead of the goal line by the time the ball gets hit. It was definitely Varas’ day, no doubt. ….and not Messi’s.

B

barcelonista

That post, good Sir, deserves a gif. I just don't know which one. I guess this should be fine?

qo4lywcl.gif

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I think this whole thing is mental, including the PK miss. I was paying attention to Messi's PK's technique by observing his PK’s since last season and I have kind of figured out why he’s been so good at it. I’ve noticed that he does everything during the last few milliseconds previous to hitting the ball. Basically, he runs slowly and steadily and without changing speed and he patiently waits to make the right-or-left decision until the very moment that the goalie commits. Only then he knows to which side the ball is going, with very little time to aim and kick. This is a win-win strategy because, even if the goalie waited to commit until there is contact with the ball, by then it'll be just too late for him because he'll never get to the ball's path on time. It's also easy to see why, with this method, ball speed is immaterial. The last time I saw Leo missing a PK was up north somewhere, don't remember against who, but it was because his supporting foot (the right foot) gave way to the mud and the lower end of his body slipped forward faster than the rest of the body, making the ball go over the crossbar. Because of the split second decision-making issue, Leo needs super concentration because, as he runs towards the ball, he knows that there is a critical and very narrow decision making window coming up. His mental readiness is paramount and if he's not able to handle prevailing pressure, or anything that may be fogging his mind at that moment, the goalie will win. I noticed on that last PK vs. RM, Casillas "guessed" correctly to his left; luckily, he couldn't touch the ball. The big game pressure (and Casillas in front) may have gotten to Leo a little, because, if executed as planned, Casillas commitment would've been spotted on time by Messi and the kick would've gone to Casillas' right. Goal keepers never stay put until the kicker hits the ball. Never. And you can easily see how, every time, Leo will hit the ball right after the goalie commits.

But, Messi hasn't been his good old self lately. His mind, somehow, is not entirely there, plus his physical stamina is probably not 100% there either (He’s also missing passes much more than ever before). On the PK Saturday he just wasn't there entirely. If he was a super-human, and had a super-brain, he would've thought, either "I can’t concentrate on split second decisions here, so I need to kick this one with everything I've got", or "I better have somebody else take this". Varas was already leaning left a split second before Messi hit the ball. Leo, simply, was not as sharp as he always is because his sensory system knew that Varas was already going left when he kicked the ball….left. The most phenomenal thing about this is that, although Varas was already leaning left, his feet were still, not only planted on the ground, but just about on the line, which is very rare because most goalies you see on slo-mo, they’re way ahead of the goal line by the time the ball gets hit. It was definitely Varas’ day, no doubt. ….and not Messi’s.

Umm..he just goes right 99.9% of the time.

Trillske

Umm..he just goes right 99.9% of the time.
Actually this post is pretty good. :lol:

Generally Messi doesnt shoot hard enough, so the win-win doesnt really get there. What you end up with is a very exploative approach. If the goal keeper decides to just forget about the mind games and choose a side, he will save it way too often.

With messis aim he should just go for the top corners. Or let someone else take the PKs.

M

mitkoa7x

I was almost 100% sure that Leo will hit it to the right. From the way he ran up to the ball in this specific curve... i just knew it.

Raed has a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans