10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I think it's mostly the other way around. Madrid fans try (tried) to compare him to Messi, but have found it difficult lately. Actually I think using stats is the best way to compare them and make it look somewhat close.

Stric

I can't believe people are still discussing whether Messi is better than Ronaldo or not. Ronaldo is a great player, but once and for all, he is not as good as Messi. As someone pointed out already, the only thing that Ronaldo does better are headers, and that's not because of his skill or talent, but because of his physical attributes, which are out of his or Messi's jurisdiction.

Indignado

Agreed, but these two are very different players after all, so in general I hate to compare them against each other.

Ronaldo is certainly behind Messi on key measuring stats such as average goals scored and assisted per game etc. If this is the yardstick, Messi is truly in his own league, no other active player comes close.

That said, Ronaldo is a very talented and a great player. If Ronaldo is not as great as some Barca fans would like to admit, how come they always compare him to Messi to prove Messi's superiority?

Nobody said he's not a talented and great player, we only said he's not on the same level as Messi.

F

Flavia

Agreed, but these two are very different players after all, so in general I hate to compare them against each other.

Ronaldo is certainly behind Messi on key measuring stats such as average goals scored and assisted per game etc. If this is the yardstick, Messi is truly in his own league, no other active player comes close.

That said, Ronaldo is a very talented and a great player. If Ronaldo is not as great as some Barca fans would like to admit, how come they always compare him to Messi to prove Messi's superiority?

cr7 is great, there's no denying that. He's just not Messi-great. Messi is compared to maradona and pelé, not to cr7. And the fundaments I mentioned are not just statistics, but skills. Messi's vision, dribbling, agility, passing, 1st touch, free kicks, staying on his feet... Everything he does are much, much better than any other player.

Messi's one of a kind, a rare type of player that appears once in a lifetime. cr7 is great, but there are similar players to him surfacing right now.

Kerrybai

Agree with Flavia ^ There are many players who will come along like Ronaldo ( Gareth bale ) While ronaldo will certainly go down as a great player he will never be compared with the Gods of football. Players like Messi, pele, cruyff change the game of football. I always envied those who lived during Maradonas era. I wondered what it was like to see such a player live, Ronaldo de Lima was incredible before his injuries but unfortunately I largely missed him too as I was young. Then messi came along and showed me what I had missed.

Paganinisrvnge

I can't believe what my funny comment started. Messi scoring against a japanese robot doesn't mean anything as far as how he's judged as a player. I just was messing around and poking a jab at people who say stuff like how Ronaldo was so great in the EPL and Messi hasn't played in the EPL.

CatalinR10

Anyway.....

The tests on Monday showed there's at this moment still 50% chance of a relapse if Messi would play. Player hopes to be on the bench [sport]

Hope things improve till wednesday night.

Antimadridista1

The tests on Monday showed there's at this moment still 50% chance of a relapse if Messi would play. Player hopes to be on the bench [sport]

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Theres no way we should risk the injury further. The rest of the team needs to be 100% focused and give it their all without Messi. It'll be a bit easier to hold or even increase the advantage we have at the Camp Nou, even without Messi. As of now I don't even think he should be on the bench, but I suspect he will somewhat recover and be there on Wednesday even if he doesn't start.

Kerrybai

I imagine he will be on the bench. We should be okay without him as PSG need a goal so they will be forced to play aggressively. Basically we won't need to break the bus down like we did at home against Milan which Messi managed with great effect.

raskolnikov

Even if he is unable to play just have him on the bnch and warm up on a certain point, the thought of him coming in will make psg look harder for the goals they need.
This creates more space since he is such a threat in the everyone's mind.
You saw that Ancelotti was really glad and hoping for Leo to go out when he was glued to the sideline next to tito for the last 5 min.

Lets hope Barca pulls this off convincingly without Messi though, no need to bring him except in the most desperate situation.

khorne

Let's hope so. I have full confidence in the barca medical team, but muscle injuries shouldn't be underestimated. Iniesta sacrificed a whole season for his rome stunt, and robben arguably destroyed his career in 2010 with that. It's not such a high risk, but when messi is concerned i'd rather have no risk at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans