10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He shouldn't waste far too much energy on pressing like a dog, but he should up his workrate for our buildup play. It's not the fact that he was lazy defensively yesterday that is frustrating, but that for the entire first 70 minutes he wasn't really contributing all that much or running around creating attacks as he should.

There's not much he'd provide by overdoing the pressing on a defensive end, but he does need to get the team going when we have the ball and wreak havoc in a role that was designed for him to take the reigns and lead.

As usual, Don said it much better than I could ever have. Absolutely agreed.

Cule4life

The Culest
So his lack of pressing was the reason he didn't get into the box on a counter attack? That is some serious over the top analysis.

I meant his being disinterested and disengaged were the reason of that. Neymar gave his 100% yesterday. Regarding pressing many time he was just behind Sevilla players when they were attacking and it seemed a shame he didnt even try to press them. He could have snatched the ball catching the Sevilla players unaware and go on a mazy dribble.

MMKa

Messi%20dribble%20pass%20Neymar%20Sevilla.gif

The bottom Gif is the perfect example of how not messi and neymar chemistry should work.

Yes. Neymar should have tried to score, not pass to Messi. Messi should shout at him: "What are you doing? You're new here, and you're nobody! Score the chances I create for you, you're here to do that."

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I find it worrisome that his level of dribbling - or willingness (which makes him worse at it, the less you do something, the worse you get) - to dribble, has gone down quite remarkably. The 2 last seasons he has actually gotten worse, when he should've been better at it now. He often loses the ball randomly, something we didn't see that oftenly in the past. These are bad omens, sure he scores an amazing amount of goals, but if he doesn't take dribbling seriously, he will lose out on a lot of opportunities, both for Barcelona and Argentina, in the matches where he will have to play out of his skin. There used to be amazing dribbles etc in every game, now they are fewer than ever, which I find sad, because that's the reason I fell in love with his play in the first place...

I don't think it is his dribbling per se that is declining, rather I think it is his ball control or sense of the ball, don't know how to describe it really. I don't remember seeing him losing this many balls upon being pressed.

I don't know if age is an issue. Ribery is getting better at dribbling as he gets older. Weird.

Kerrybai

It is certainly a subjective matter to define "100%", just an observation/feeling which differs from person to person, so I don't know how to measure it.

Taking yesterday's game as an example, I felt Neymar gave his 100%, despite the outcome. I will not criticize any player for trying hard but to no avil, the lack of trying and efforts is what irks me, as I felt it was the case with Messi in the first 60 minutes or so of the game yesterday. He just felt very disinterested and disengaged.

It can take a while for a player to feel his way into a game. Messi isn't a robot, he had a poor 60 minutes. It's going to happen again. Isn't he allowed to have bad games? Also you asked why Messi couldn't turn on 'Beast mode' earlier in the game. Well why couldn't Iniesta? Messi played badly but to say he was disinterested is strange considering his heroics at the end.

J

jiopi

I don't think it is his dribbling per se that is declining, rather I think it is his ball control or sense of the ball, don't know how to describe it really. I don't remember seeing him losing this many balls upon being pressed.
I do wonder what games half of you watch these days.

Messi in league

successful dribbles per game - lost possession per game (turnover+dispossession) - successful dribbles per lost possession

13-14 5.7 - 4.0 - 1.42
12-13 5.1 - 3.8 - 1.33
11-12 4.8 - 4.2 - 1.12
10-11 5.6 - 4.6 - 1.22
09-10 4.1 - 5.5 - 0.75

He dribbles more than ever, looses ball about the least than ever, and is more effective than ever.

I don't know if age is an issue. Ribery is getting better at dribbling as he gets older. Weird.
That's because tireless Alaba nowadays bombing in his flank frees million billion acres of space for Ribery.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It can take a while for a player to feel his way into a game. Messi isn't a robot, he had a poor 60 minutes. It's going to happen again. Isn't he allowed to have bad games? Also you asked why Messi couldn't turn on 'Beast mode' earlier in the game. Well why couldn't Iniesta? Messi played badly but to say he was disinterested is strange considering his heroics at the end.

Kerry, I don't think we are talking about the same thing here. I think Messi had a poor 60 minutes not because he tried and failed, I think he had a poor 60 minutes because he didn't care to try much. I believe in Messi's ability and capabilities. I felt if he wanted, he could have turned on his "game mode" in the very 1st minute. I for one believe that as long as he is physically healthy and fit, he will not have any bad games as long as he tries his best. Sorry, I am a Messi fanboy. ;)

He was our hero yesterday, indeed. The last 20 minutes was a startling contrast to the first 60 minutes. I don't know what made him turn on his beast mode in the last 20 minutes or so. I don't know what happened.

J

jiopi

Messi played just fine the whole game, the first half was nothing special, lost ball here and there. But just watch how the first goal originated from Messi combining with Alves, which enabled Barca to push Sevilla back. Actually watching the first goal, Sevilla defense weaves and squeezes like fish school from attacking dolphins, and Messi and others were all part of it.

EDIT:

Messi%20formation%20Sevilla.gif

Last edited:

Cule4life

The Culest
Messi played just fine the whole game, the first half was nothing special, lost ball here and there. But just watch how the first goal originated from Messi combining with Alves, which enabled Barca to push Sevilla back. Actually watching the first goal, Sevilla defense weaves and squeezes like fish school from attacking dolphins, and Messi and others were part of it.

Has he ever played badly in ur opinion when fit :lol:

Kerrybai

Messi in league

successful dribbles per game - lost possession per game (turnover+dispossession) - successful dribbles per lost possession

13-14 5.7 - 4.0 - 1.42
12-13 5.1 - 3.8 - 1.33
11-12 4.8 - 4.2 - 1.12
10-11 5.6 - 4.6 - 1.22
09-10 4.1 - 5.5 - 0.75

He dribbles more than ever, looses ball about the least than ever, and is more effective than ever.

That's because tireless Alaba nowadays bombing in his flank frees million billion acres of space for Ribery.

You are the master of Messi stats.

pEllee

Messi in league

13-14 5.7 - 4.0 - 1.42
12-13 5.1 - 3.8 - 1.33
11-12 4.8 - 4.2 - 1.12
10-11 5.6 - 4.6 - 1.22
09-10 4.1 - 5.5 - 0.75

Out of curiosity, do you mind posting a link with those stats? According to whoscored, they're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans