10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galning

The penalties we got were all penalties too. Judging from how some people are talking one would think they're Madridistas.

NotInHere

He won't... If he scores one will be great, simeone knows how to stop him. But he might get assists.
I think you're selling Messi way too low.

Given the importance of this game, he'll try his hardest, and with that comes brilliance, and with that comes goals like he did against Milan.

F

Flavia

I think you're selling Messi way too low.

Given the importance of this game, he'll try his hardest, and with that comes brilliance, and with that comes goals like he did against Milan.
Well, the game at camp nou was just as important. The problem is the team not helping him, Cesc displacing Iniesta and neymar, etc. Messi, when heavily marked, tend to disappears from games. And that's not his fault.

serghei

Well, the game at camp nou was just as important. The problem is the team not helping him, Cesc displacing Iniesta and neymar, etc. Messi, when heavily marked, tend to disappears from games. And that's not his fault.

Recently, I have seen some of Messi's old matches in the CL. Love Messi, but his workrate has dimminished over the years. That's noticeble. The back and forth movement, essential to a false 9 role, is no longer at the same level as it once was.

Several years ago he was impossible to keep quiet - even against parked buses -, now, he is usually silent when heavily marked. He is making himself an easy player to mark sometimes, by not moving enough off the ball.

Last edited:

Kerrybai

Messi had a great game on the right vs Madrid, his work-rate was very high, in fact I think he recovered the ball more than anyone else during that game. I'd be perfectly fine with him on the right on Wednesday, I just hope this time around his team-mates can finish the chances he provides them with.

We face a lot of parked buses but only Mou's, Simeone's and a couple of others have ever been as coordinated and resilient enough to hold our team back. In fact with Inter and Chelsea 2 season back it was down to bad luck and poor finishing that cost us. Simeone's side is much different though as they have neutralised all of our attacking outlets. I expect Messi to create but his scoring chances could be limited to 0 as he will be marked wherever he goes.

Last edited:

NotInHere

What I was trying to say is that great players can have spurts of brilliance that will help them have an all around great game, if Messi can have one moment of brilliance, his confidence will sky rocket and that will help him destroy Atletico's wall, no matter the circumstances, that basically applies to every great player in any sport.

But if Messi decides to not move more, become more mobile to receive the ball on his hot spots where he could do damage, I expect him to have yet another forgettable game. Point is, I'm counting on him to work his butt off, to give it his all, no matter how many defenders are on him.

serghei

Messi had a great game on the right vs Madrid, his work-rate was very high, in fact I think he recovered the ball more than anyone else during that game. I'd be perfectly fine with him on the right on Wednesday, I just hope this time around his team-mates can finish the chances he provides them with.

We face a lot of parked buses but only Mou's, Simeone's and a couple of others have ever been as coordinated and resilient enough to hold our team back. In fact with Inter and Chelsea 2 season back it was down to bad luck and poor finishing that cost us. Simeone's side is much different though as they have neutralised all of our attacking outlets. I expect Messi to create but his scoring chances could be limited to 0 as he will be marked wherever he goes.

Simeone's side is no better than Inter or Chelsea's sides from 2010 and 2012. It's us who have declined a little -- Messi included, along with Xavi, Alves & others. Not to mention having Pinto in the goal, which is a major weak point.

And the best parked bus I've ever seen was Hiddink's Chelsea in 2009. We had like one shot on target in 94 min.

F

Flavia

Recently, I have seen some of Messi's old matches in the CL. Love Messi, but his workrate has dimminished over the years. That's noticeble. The back and forth movement, essential to a false 9 role, is no longer at the same level as it once was.

Several years ago he was impossible to keep quiet - even against parked buses -, now, he is usually silent when heavily marked. He is making himself an easy player to mark sometimes, by not moving enough off the ball.
I think teams now know better, and have more experience marking him. Him not being as energetic also plays a part, but the false 9 role has been found out.

Simeone's side is no better than Inter or Chelsea's sides from 2010 and 2012. It's us who have declined a little -- Messi included, along with Xavi, Alves & others. Not to mention having Pinto in the goal, which is a major weak point.

And the best parked bus I've ever seen was Hiddink's Chelsea in 2009. We had like one shot on target in 94 min.
Barça had so many scoring oportunities against Chelsea in 2012... I don't think they parked a great bus. Our players were unlucky/failed to score.

Lomar1o

i wouldn't agree about chelsea from 2012.. we wasted at least 5 or more good chances in each game. there's a video on youtube of barca's wasted chances against chelsea in 2012, when i rewatched it i was dumbstruck. hiddink's chelsea was the best bus, i agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans