10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Nah. He is unstoppable when he tries.

Good luck, Leo.

I am with Flavia here, I think as hard as he can try, teams simply defend against/neutralize him better than before. Together with the drop in his workrate and off-the-ball movement, it takes a lot more for Messi to score against CL level teams.

JamDav1982

I am with Flavia here, I think as hard as he can try, teams simply defend against/neutralize him better than before. Together with the drop in his workrate and off-the-ball movement, it takes a lot more for Messi to score against CL level teams.

Messi has been fully fit once this season in the 4 games against Atletico.

They have not found a way to stop him all the time.

Egert

Estonian Culé
Hope that Messi will leave a mark at the Calderon. We will watch our mouths open how Messi kills Atletico.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Hope that Messi will leave a mark at the Calderon. We will watch our mouths open how Messi kills Atletico.

And if he doesn't tomorrow, as long as he tries his best, I hope we Cules will not jump into the fray of blaming him every time after a disappointing result.

aki13

And if he doesn't tomorrow, as long as he tries his best, I hope we Cules will not jump into the fray of blaming him every time after a disappointing result.

I agree Luftstalag. I think its fact that Atletico know how to contain Messi and rather than constantly focusing on why Messi hasn't won us a match we really need the WHOLE team to beat Atletico. Leo might get a goal, but if he doesn't lets hope the team get the win.

And as you say lets hope it isn't 5 pages of Messi hate and saying how should be sold.

:beer2:

Kohe321

Playing him on the right could work wonders. Against Atletico he usually has 2-3 players marking him in the middle whenever he receives the ball. If he's played on the right he should be able to lure more players out of position and create a lot of width and space in the middle that Iniesta, Cesc and Xavi should be able to exploit. For instance I can see Neymar getting more passing options through the middle on to his left flank as a result, and perhaps get into similar goalscoring positions like his goal in the first game.

Playing Messi in the middle against Atletico basically kind of works more to their advantage than to ours as they want to clog up the middle anyway. Not only do we strengthen their defence by playing him in the middle, but we also disable our offence in the process, leaving Messi with the thankless task of dealing with 2-3 defenders in his back, and once he shakes them off there is still the final wall of defenders...

I hope he's on fire and that whatever tactic Martino has planned works brilliantly! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans