10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Messi expresses his views on team tactics and gives peptalks ---> Who the hell does Messi think he is? He is not above the team.

Messi keeps his month shut ---> Who the hell is this Messi guy? He doesn't care about the team, he shoulders no responsibility, he is no capitan material!

Messi can't win either way. :okay:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Good to see Messi looking in high spirits. Hope he makes the kind of a comeback like after 2010. I won't care how many km he runs or how many goals he scores if he dribbles like this:

Kerrybai

Good to see Messi looking in high spirits. Hope he makes the kind of a comeback like after 2010. I won't care how many km he runs or how many goals he scores if he dribbles like this:

Robben came back stronger than ever after 2010, so we can certainly have hope.

Pepe Silvia

Messi needed to perform well in the final match to have deserved the trophy which he didn't. In the first half he had a few key passes, dribbles and runs but after that he was very very poor. He basically disappeared. I think Kempes' timing was not very good, but I don't agree that he bashed him. Maradona was much more blunt and frankly a little cruel in his statements but he was also not that far off. Just kind of rude.

For me, Messi is the best that ever done it, but I am disappointed that he had such a poor final. His teammates were disgraceful and should never don the shirt again. I know it sounds like I'm being harsh but I've had days to think about this and I'm not reacting emotionally. Higuain started poorly but hit a bit of form mid tournament, lost some weight and was expected to work his magic in the final. He not only didn't show up, but played like an embarrassment. Palacio.. well... just... he was so bad throughout the whole tournament that I'm ashamed that he is a former Boca Juniors player. He let me down every single time this tournament. Disgraceful performance. The worst of the lot though? Sergio "Kun" Aguero. He made Higuain and Palacio look like superstars.

Messi will bounce back because he is a strong minded person. I think with some big changes at the national level Argentina have a decent chance in Russia, but only if emotions are left out of it and players are dumped.

I love Messi, and I'm still gutted he didn't win it. It was all he had to give, which unfortunately was not nearly enough. His stamina and fitness were absolutely horrid, just shockingly bad. I had a lot of family debriefing the final and just pointing out how unglamorous they thought he was. It hurt me to have to explain about his injuries, his coaches, his consistent top level football for so many years taking its toll, they just kind of looked at me like yeah well it was his chance and he kinda sucked.

For me he is the best without the trophy, but I just hoped for so much better and really hoped that he was saving himself. The semi-final and final were practically the same exact game played with a good start and a horrible/drained finish. It was worrying and once I saw him walking in the game, I just felt sad and disappointed. Messi will rise up again though. I know we will look great when our team comes together and give it our all, buy into Lucho's plan and once again dominate Europe!

Visça Barça!!!

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
I couldn't give a flying f*** about Messi really, what I care about is what is best for Barca and if we can't find out what is wrong with Messi and he continues on a downward spiral (and there is no denying that he is not at the level he was at 2 seasons ago) then we have a major problem as our game plan at the moment revolves around giving him the ball. I am worried about the Suarez deal because, even though he is an undeniable talent, there are no guarantees that he will gel with Messi and Neymar. I am with Cruyff on this one. Too many individuals and not enough team players at the moment.

Trickykid

I am with Cruyff on this one. Too many individuals and not enough team players at the moment.

Cruyff is a drunken old fool, who's comments on Barça these days are purely political and have nothing to do with sporting reasons.

From what I've seen of Suarez he's very much a team player. A rock hard worker who loves to assist too. Is he somewhat egoistical in front of goal? Hopefully he is. Isn't this one of the reasons so many people thought Alexis a bad fit for that position? People raged that he wasn't a natural goal scorer (whatever the hell that is...), and that he looked to pass instead of scoring. Suarez will most likely put these chances away.

And Nerman? He showed last season that he too is a team player in the very best sense of the word.

Messi is Messi, and if Lucho has an reasonable tactical and man management skills, he should be able to make these three ridiculously skilled players work together.

Long story short: Dear ol' Cruyff is talking out of his ass (again).

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
He does have a political axe to grind, but I think he is very far from being a 'drunken old fool' as you put it. He speaks a lot of sense.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
He does have a political axe to grind, but I think he is very far from being a 'drunken old fool' as you put it. He speaks a lot of sense.

Thats true until the Barca board are involved after which he becomes the 'drunken old fool' as tricky kid said. He lets his hatered of the Barca board cloud his better judgement

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
Which I have already agreed with, but football wise he is usually spot on and his concerns about having too many individuals mirrors my concerns as well. Hopefully it will all work out.

JackaL

I think Lucho understood that he can't just rely on Messi alone as Tito Vilanova and Tata Martino used to. The reason why Messi seems burned out etc. is also because of the pressure he has in Argentina as well as in Catalonia. In fact, because we couldn't renew our tactics to the counter-developments in football (first buses, than pressing and rapid outbursts as RM and Dortmund play), we relied so heavily on the genius of Messi (and Iniesta, Xavi sometimes). I think if only we had realized in advance that we needed serious changes, none of our key players, including Xavi would have been on the bringe of burning out / resigning / thinking of career changes.

Ursegor

World Champion
Cruyff is talking chit as usual. Barca's most successful ever sixtuple season was delivered by the Henry-Eto'o duo flanking Messi. Neither Suarez nor Neymar have the egos of those 2 and they are much better combinational players whereas particularly Eto'o would just pull the trigger. Just because they are star names doesn't automatically make them individualists. Neymar was averaging 1 assist every 2 games last season. Suarez was pressing like mad and putting in tackles with his head in added time against Southampton last season despite leading by 2 goals. Guy doesn't even take penalties. If he did he'd have walked the Golden Boot with 40+ goals. He doesn't even care, fss.

Cruyff can come back to coaching and build his "team play" around Pedro and Cuenca if he wants.

Tricky was faster. Meh.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Its annoying nobody wants to acknowledge his physical/conitioning decline.
Not meaning fans/ regular people since everyone talks about it constantly but more other players/coaches or even Messi himself. Everyone just keeps saying how he is amazing and the goat and all of that stuff which means nothing will change. If he needs a 3 month rest and conditioning program or if there is something wrong with him it should be acknowledged and dealt with.

Frodo_FCB

Its annoying nobody wants to acknowledge his physical/conitioning decline.
Not meaning fans/ regular people since everyone talks about it constantly but more other players/coaches or even Messi himself. Everyone just keeps saying how he is amazing and the goat and all of that stuff which means nothing will change. If he needs a 3 month rest and conditioning program or if there is something wrong with him it should be acknowledged and dealt with.

True story... I hope Lucho make the right decisions about Messi..I don't care even if we have to play with Pedro-Munir-Deulo in the first games of the season.
I just want to see Messi being healthy again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans