10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I don't think he was too 'intense' today per say as wasn't really charging at the defense like he often does or even speeding up the play with swift sequences. He was just showing the same increase in involvement that he has this season with the smart movements into midfield and great positioning. Unlike the games last season where he totally switched off, today he showed a mental engagement even if not a physical one.

Despite the fact that he didn't even exhibit moderate exertion today, he managed to be the driving force behind our attack and accumulate 97 touches (3rd most after Raki and Alves). That is a very important trait in the long term as he doesn't even need to be running hard all the time to regain his best form and can save the more energetic displays for matches of high competition (like El Clasico).

Irish_Cules

I don't think he was too 'intense' today per say as wasn't really charging at the defense like he often does or even speeding up the play with swift sequences. He was just showing the same increase in involvement that he has this season with the smart movements into midfield and great positioning. Unlike the games last season where he totally switched off, today he showed a mental engagement even if not a physical one.

Despite the fact that he didn't even exhibit moderate exertion today, he managed to be the driving force behind our attack and accumulate 97 touches (3rd most after Raki and Alves). That is a very important trait in the long term as he doesn't even need to be running hard all the time to regain his best form and can save the more energetic displays for matches of high competition (like El Clasico).

I don't know.... I thought he exerted himself quite a bit today. There were a few occasions where he was closing down and I thought to myself that last season he might not have done that.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I don't know.... I thought he exerted himself quite a bit today. There were a few occasions where he was closing down and I thought to myself that last season he might not have done that.

Yeah there were some nice defensive runs that we didn't see last season but when we were in possession he wasn't playing with the same energy as the Athletic/Elche/Villarreal games. Looked more tired against APOEL and Levante, maybe part of the reason why he was always looking to pass and rarely wanted to serve as a ball carrier and take on defenders.

Irish_Cules

Yeah there were some nice defensive runs that we didn't see last season but when we were in possession he wasn't playing with the same energy as the Athletic/Elche/Villarreal games. Looked more tired against APOEL and Levante, maybe part of the reason why he was always looking to pass and rarely wanted to serve as a ball carrier and take on defenders.

I think APOEL was just one of those games where nothing was working for him. Our attack in general was disjointed and Messi just had a bad day, simple as that. I didn't really notice less dribbling today but you could be right. I thought it was a great display all around. The two assists and his finish were all sexy.

F

Flavia

2014-09-21_LEVANTE-BARCELONA_18.v1411336934.JPG

2 players fouling him. That was funny.

doublehh03

Long time Messi fan. I don't know why some are critical of Messi. No player is perfect. Just a stat for you guys:

Whoscored ratings so far this year has Messi 9.29 rating. The next closest is Ronaldo and he's 8.71.

He's still rounding into form (and you can tell he's not fully in sync with all of his attacking teammates - unlike when prime Xavi/Inesta). He's still BY FAR the best player in the world. It's going to be a sublime season for Messi.

Egert

Estonian Culé
That penalty was crap. But he played good, I watched 1st half. That assist to Neymar was awesome. His golazo was good too. 2 assists, 1 goal, 1 missed pen. Good game overall.

Egert

Estonian Culé
Barcelona's top scorers: Messi 3 goals, Neymar 3 goals (all assisted by Messi), Sandro 2 goals (all assisted by Messi) [via @barca19stats] :worthy:

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Barcelona's top scorers: Messi 3 goals, Neymar 3 goals (all assisted by Messi), Sandro 2 goals (all assisted by Messi) [via @barca19stats] :worthy:

He may not score 40+ this season but for me this almost pushes him to a new level far above the likes of Pele, Maradona etc. When he was scoring 90 goals in a year we were all saying how he is arguably the greatest which he was and still is. Now he has moved on from scoring 2 every single game and has almost changed his playing style to a more playmaking role and he is best at that as well. No doubt he will still get loads of goals (as many as 'normal' strikers) but for him to play a new role in the team and excel at that as well is unbelievable. Only other one to compare to that is Giggs but he was nowhere near Messis level.

All in all, Messi :worthy:

Kragod

Next season Lucho will ask him to cover for RB, he will excel as that as well, become best in the world on that position. Will be better than our current RBs, thats for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans