10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Btw, a documentary from SkySports about Messi during UCL 2011 final :)

[youtube]ZVDHL-RdFYY[/youtube]

PS : Gary Neville is there :lol:

Gooner14

Turning 29 this year. Not even Messi will be able to fight off age. Although unlike Ronaldo, Messi doesnt rely on physical attributes for his game, so I reckon he could score prolifically until he is 33.

Ronaldo on the other hand, once his pace and strength withers, he will struggle.

Gnidrologist

Messi has become slow, so his scoring ability is visibly lacking already. Good thing he is also the best assist maker world has ever known, so his skill set will be useful until very late in his career.

Tiny Kim

Messi has become slow, so his scoring ability is visibly lacking already. Good thing he is also the best assist maker world has ever known, so his skill set will be useful until very late in his career.

I don't think his speed has suffered all that much. It looks more like he has become smarter in how he plays. His top speed was never that high anyway, his acceleration is still excellent if and when he does use it. And I believe his scoring is down to his positional and role change. Sure, age is one of the factors, but only a very minor factor IMO. If he had been CF this whole time, his scoring would still be high or at least still comparable.

Look at Suarez for example. He has poor top-speed and just barely good acceleration. He's not tall by any means and he can't jump that high. He's not weak but he's definitely not the strongest CF either. And yet he's still scoring a hell of a lot. Not just in this league, but also back in the(very speed heavy) PL and the Eredivisie. Its called using your brain. Anticipation, positioning, timing, etc. These are the often overlooked attributes that contribute to make a great goalscorer. And Messi is a perfect example of it. This is why I think Messi's goalscoring will suffer a lot less in his twilight years compared to someone like CR or Bale or others of their ilk.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Messi has a very good number of goals (more than Neymar) for someone who missed 2 months, and will end up with 40+ goals this season.. plus he scored some very important goals lately (Atletico, Celta, Valencia, Malaga, Arsenal, ...), nothing to suggest his goal scoring is off, at all :)

Darko

He has become slower, there is no denying that, but every other part of his game has improved so his scoring ability hasn't suffered.

Gnidrologist

Yes, he still is a good scorer and, of course, his other abilities more than enough compensates for decline in sheer striking, but he has problems making himself a corridor for a clean shot. He gets blocked/muscled off way more often than in the past and doesn't go on bursting runs as if he's not really that confident in beating his man anymore. No need to go all apeshit about this, mkay. Still goat.

alex88bg

Yes his run vs bilbao and bayern game clearly show that he doesnt engage into beating other players.Holy....
It happens less this season because of the injuries and caution.

NotInHere

That's what people said earlier last season too.
agreed but in your opinion has he looked like last years messi around this time? He doesn't seem to have that extra gear when it comes to dribbling like last year.. He doesn't dribble past defenders that easily now.. Might take some more time to get that rust off I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans