10 - Lionel Messi - v5

namaria

C'mon sign a new contract already!
f4jvxz.jpg

Cool

You never leave THAT much space for Neymar, never mind trying to mark him with one defender, most of the times he'll dribble past him.

Gnidrologist

Are you crazy ? Why should he move to wing when team was playing 3-4-3 with him as a Cam :facepalm:
Tbh, now days he s struggles in false 9 position against top teams that can park quality airbus. That was the very reason he returned on the wing two years back. And he doesn't play like CM. It's obvious he wants to be close to the box, but he tracks back deeper only to get the ball at his feat, when there's no chance, he could receive it otherwise, which was the case against PSG. Only on fast breaks did he had any space to do something dangerous.
I don't say he should return to wing, but surely drifting wide on occasion would both make him more likely to be available and stretch the D for Suarez and Neymar as is obvious that no one ever cares to man mark Roberto/Rafinha/Vidal.

Cool

Tbh, now days he s struggles in false 9 position against top teams that can park quality airbus. That was the very reason he returned on the wing two years back. And he doesn't play like CM. It's obvious he wants to be close to the box, but he tracks back deeper only to get the ball at his feat, when there's no chance, he could receive it otherwise, which was the case against PSG. Only on fast breaks did he had any space to do something dangerous.
I don't say he should return to wing, but surely drifting wide on occasion would both make him more likely to be available and stretch the D for Suarez and Neymar as is obvious that no one ever cares to man mark Roberto/Rafinha/Vida
l.

I agree, like I said, Rafinha had acres of space yet he didn't know what to do with it, an aging Alves could've punished PSG with that amount of space.

JamDav1982

I agree, like I said, Rafinha had acres of space yet he didn't know what to do with it, an aging Alves could've punished PSG with that amount of space.

It wasnt that easy.

They were giving both Neymar and Rafinha space until the received the ball and then closed them down and shut off the options.

Neymar could barely do anything from wide either but both worked hard and kept cool head and picked correct option most of the time.

Rafinha had a good game.

Alves in that situation got destroyed for years as he would sling in cross after cross to no avail. He would not have been able to do any more.

raskolnikov

Some 2013 tactics from Emery. We have more weapo s now than just Messi. Cant put 4 players on him alone and wont be punished.

raskolnikov

Some 2013 tactics from Emery. We have more weapo s now than just Messi. Cant put 4 players on him alone and wont be punished.

JamDav1982

They never really put four men on Messi they just got everyone back and played deep midfield/narrow midfield.

Just about any time a barca player went through middle they had 2/3/4 players closing them.

El Flaco

On this day, 10 years ago, a 19-year-old guy named Lionel Messi scored his first ever hattrick for us - against Real Madrid.

The comments section from Sid Lowe article a decade ago is quite interesting to read.

Here's just a couple from the section, lol.

The boy's got talent, no doubt about it....Personally though, I think that Fabregas is equally impressive. He doesn't have Messi's dribbling ability, but the way he runs games in such a precocious manner at such a young age gives me the impression that he is likely to be the more complete footballer.

Kids like messi and fabregas get all kinds of hype because of how good they are already, which is fair enough. But i think probably both of these guys will fail to hit the heights that everyone thinks they will. How many players who make a name for themselves at 17 ever go on to have the massive career people expect of them?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/mar/12/europeanfootball.sport1

Home of Barca Fans