10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Raketa10

The only way he can leave is if they pay 300 million or if he goes for free

Well both would be the end of Barcelona for a long long time, but I am still sure he will renew. He just want's to be sure we have a decent squad before he does that.

Without Messi we wouldn't be in top 5 of Spanish football right now.

Raketa10

Be calm he won't go he is not Neymar, he is putting some pressure on the board and that's more than ok, in the meantime we can raise his buyout clause to 1bn :)

Ritchie

If they do, you might as well burn it all to the ground.

Pay off the debt and built new stadium. Buy YOUNG players with future and play the La Masia prospects with no expectation of winning trophies for the next five seasons.

You cannot catch Real in that time period anyway.

With nobody left to fill it to watch such a crap team.

We can't afford the stadium now because we've left ourselves in a position where we'll have to build a new team over the next few years because we let the team get old and therefore they have no transfer value. It's what happened to Milan. They had all these good players 10 years ago but they were all over 30 and then kaka left because he saw the writing on the wall.

By the time the stadium is finished Messi will either be gone or in semi-retirement. All the rest of Pep's team gone and we won't be able to afford any more stars to get the crowds to fill it.

Last edited:

Petulant Whiner

If we would theoretically sell Messi for 300M, Liverpool would suddenly ask 250M for Coutinho, Dembele would jump to 200 Millions, Eriksen would be 180M etc.

Basically, we would sell Messi for 300 and Neymar for 222 and get:
Coutinho for 250, Dembele for 200 and a random Cb for 50 Millions.
That's it, 500M gone through the window.

I know.

That's why the only good move I see is paying off the debt and investing in La Masia.

The board put he club in a virtually impossible position to succeed.

It would have been nice to have players like Sandro, Bartra, Grimaldo and Montoya, who will fight for the name of the club in these times.

Oh well :pique:

Ritchie

I know.

That's why the only good move I see is paying off the debt and investing in La Masia.

The board put he club in a virtually impossible position to succeed.

It would have been nice to have players like Sandro, Bartra, Grimaldo and Montoya, who will fight for the name of the club in these times.

Oh well :pique:

Neymar and Messi are/were the only assets we had who could command a lot of money in our dad's army squad (or shite like Gomes), so if you sell either of them to pay down the debt then the debt will go back up again because revenues are down and there's no success on the pitch.

We need to do what Real have done and start buying up the best young talent. The problem is though we need to sign Dembele when he's available for £15m not 10 times that a year later. Dybala we should be signing when Juventus do. Sign Verratti and Marqunhos when PSG do.

We're clueless when it comes to transfers. La Masia was the saving grace for how bad Barca are in the market. Even that's gone now.

Last edited:

Petulant Whiner

With nobody left to fill it to watch such a crap team.

We can't afford the stadium now because we've left ourselves in a position where we'll have to build a new team over the next few years because we let the team get old and therefore they have no transfer value. It's what happened to Milan. They had all these good players 10 years ago but they were all over 30 and then kaka left because he saw the writing on the wall.

By the time the stadium is finished Messi will either be gone or in semi-retirement. All the rest of Pep's team gone and we won't be able to afford any more stars to get the crowds to fill it.

This scenario is if Messi leaves now.

I just don't think that there is a point to over spend for players now because they are not going to win anything anyway. Spend the money on something that does not have ridiculously inflated price, like infrastructure.

And what is your suggestion?

Neymar and Messi are/were the only assets we had who could command a lot of money in our dad's army squad (or shite like Gomes), so if you sell either of them to pay down the debt then the debt will go back up again because revenues are down and there's no success on the pitch.

We need to do what Real have done and start buying up the best young talent. The problem is though we need to sign Dembele when he's available for £15m not 10 times that a year later. Dybala we should be signing when Juventus do. Sign Verratti and Marqunhos when PSG do.

We're clueless when it comes to transfers. La Masia was the saving grace for how bad Barca are in the market. Even that's gone now.

I highly doubt that prices continue rising in the future. There are just a handful of teams inflating the market. Actions will probably (hopefully) be taken. Buying anyone this summer, if Messi leaves, is a gamble.

Also, the club have surely built strong positions on a lot of markets in the last 15 years, enough, to be able to afford 5 years of rebuilding.

Last edited:

Ritchie

This scenario is if Messi leaves now.

I just don't think that there is a point to over spend for players now because they are not going to win anything anyway. Spend the money on something that is not have ridiculously inflated price like infrastructure.

And what is your suggestion? .

Well if we lose Messi it'll be on a free transfer next summer and then we are screwed because it'd take 3 £100m players combined to give us anywhere near what he did.

We have to buy a Neymar replacement and Iniesta will need replacing this summer or next summer. Next summer we'll need to go big on a centre half too. Suarez will also need replacing soon and someone like Mbappe will cost over 100 million.

Julien

I'm with BBZ on this.

Getting 250-300m will not help at all.

Other clubs will ask even more money.

That's why I was against selling Neymar (even if we couldn't do anything to stop it).

We have 222m but can't do anything with it unless we overpay a lot.

Still believe even the socios will push Bartomeu out before it happens.

Petulant Whiner

Well if we lose Messi it'll be on a free transfer next summer and then we are screwed because it'd take 3 £100m players to give us anywhere near what he did.

We have to buy a Neymar replacement and Iniesta will need replacing this summer or next summer. Next summer we'll need to go big on a centre half too.

IT'S ALL ONE BIG DISASTER, I KNOW !!! :cry:

Ripsta

If he goes, the Club will go back to mediocrity and it'll be far worse than pre-Guardiola.

Right now Messi is the difference between the team being average to competitive.

Home of Barca Fans