10 - Lionel Messi - v5

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He doesn’t stand stationary. That’s just a lie. He moves around in his zone and picks up passes everywhere.

Masche was pretty much incapable of playing passes through the midfield line to an open Messi. Don't see how Messi 'moving around more' would've done anything. If it isn't Messi creating from the DM position, they take several passes and a lot of time just to progress the ball like 20m. The midfield just lacks so hard in this respect, and Masche has been one of the biggest culprits of it for years. So ponderous in possession and he slows down the play so much.

He had over 100 touches today and almost every time he had to create the entire move from deep and try to create the finishing pass or shoot himself. They compacted themselves so much that it limited them to hopeful longshots, all credit to Iceland for being able to manage the space and close down quickly. They parked the bus but it was very disciplined defense and not many can do it so effectively.

ronniecro

he could actually play worse next two games,he looked so frustraded and hopeless at the times,esecially when the game ended. he'll carry those emotions in next games which will affect his game

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
he could actually play worse next two games,he looked so frustraded and hopeless at the times,esecially when the game ended. he'll carry those emotions in next games which will affect his game

We’ll see. He was smiling in the interview after the game.

TitoTata

Banned
I mean that's basically what I'm saying. He's clueless.

I'm always surprised at how personal and judgemental some of you guys get in here ... why don't we just accept that we're all different and have different ideas and opinions BUT we all want the best for FC Barcelona !?'

Jees you'd think some of us are Real Madrid supporters not fellow Barca fans

JamDav1982

The best players dont react like that and Messi I bet cannot wait for the next game to start.

M

MessiCam

Nope not a lie.

He is very often stationary and not moving much off the ball.
S69xm2o_d.jpg

This is all the positions where he received the ball...

SeloBarca

Think Messi actually played quite good.
He tried to do everything but his teammates are just not capable or making the right runs or open up space for him.
Iceland is as always way underrated though. Furious work 100% of the time as a unit.
I actually bet Iceland to finish second in the group.

M

MessiCam

Masche was pretty much incapable of playing passes through the midfield line to an open Messi. Don't see how Messi 'moving around more' would've done anything. If it isn't Messi creating from the DM position, they take several passes and a lot of time just to progress the ball like 20m. The midfield just lacks so hard in this respect, and Masche has been one of the biggest culprits of it for years. So ponderous in possession and he slows down the play so much.

He had over 100 touches today and almost every time he had to create the entire move from deep and try to create the finishing pass or shoot himself. They compacted themselves so much that it limited them to hopeful longshots, all credit to Iceland for being able to manage the space and close down quickly. They parked the bus but it was very disciplined defense and not many can do it so effectively.

Thanks this is what JamDav is evading. He wants movement and running but where to with a 2 defensive midfield setup other than dropping deep and collecting it himself. And Messi did make himself available as a passing option today by moving in his zone.

JamDav1982

Thanks this is what JamDav is evading. He wants movement and running but where to with a 2 defensive midfield setup other than dropping deep and collecting it himself. And Messi did make himself available as a passing option today by moving in his zone.

Nope I am saying if he moves more in final third he will be harder to pick up.

When he dropped deep today he more or less played the ball slowly and obvious pass. Not much difference than anyone else back there was doing. He needs to be in final third.

Your argument seems to be that the DMs are too shit to get him the ball so doesnt matter.... well surely you try to make it easier for them to find you.

Couple pages back you claimed it is a 'myth' that Messi ever ran now seem to think he covers the whole pitch looking for the ball.

M

MessiCam

What are you trying to prove with that?

Pretty much how would expect to see it.
You say he’s stationary and easy to mark but he moves around in his zone... It’s become pretty evident that you’re clutching at straws with this movement and running story so much so that you’re avoiding it. He picks up positions on the wings, in the centre, on the edge of the box...

Why don’t you answer the question? What sort of movement are you expecting against a parked bus with 2 defensive midfielders behind him. Neither of which are a deep lying my playmaker or even capable of line breaking passes.

JamDav1982

You say he’s stationary and easy to mark but he moves around in his zone... It’s become pretty evident that you’re clutching at straws with this movement and running story so much so that you’re avoiding it. He picks up positions on the wings, in the centre, on the edge of the box...

Why don’t you answer the question? What sort of movement are you expecting against a parked bus with 2 defensive midfielders behind him. Neither of which are a deep lying my playmaker or even capable of line breaking passes.

No I said 'too often stationary' any easy to pick up for defence - in relation to him in final third.

Defence is not looking for him when he drops deep.

You said it is a 'myth' he has ever run. What one is it?

Your argument is basically players are too shit to get ball to him. My argument is they are not great at is but moving more gives better options.

M

MessiCam

Nope I am saying if he moves more in final third he will be harder to pick up.
Who provides him with balls in the final third?

When he dropped deep today he more or less played the ball slowly and obvious pass. Not much difference than anyone else back there was doing. He needs to be in final third.
He was up against a well organised deep block.

Your argument seems to be that the DMs are too shit to get him the ball so doesnt matter.... well surely you try to make it easier for them to find you.
No. My argument is that you want runs but where must he run to against a deep block when there is no playmaker besides himself.

Couple pages back you claimed it is a 'myth' that Messi ever ran now seem to think he covers the whole pitch looking for the ball.
Running and moving into positions are two very different things.

Home of Barca Fans