11 - Raphinha

ajnotkeith

Raphina was better in his first season competing against Dembele here. Last year he was better than any season Dembele has had for us (not too difficult to be fair)... weird argument to pin it on position. This season he looks two classes apart (short time frame to be fair).
It's purely revisionist to suggest he was better last year than Dembele was under Xavi. Dembele under Xavi looked like a real superstar, I remember some games where he ran the opposition absolutely ragged.

Just because he had a poor injury record does not mean he was bad when he played, two unrelated things.

Raphinha's contribution is better mainly because his physical condition is much better, he's always available and has much more endurance.

ajnotkeith

He looks like one of our most important players right now, who would have thought.

I am also glad the battle between him and Dembele has a clear winner. Signs were already there in the Frenchmans last season here.
That's so wrong. Dembele's last season here was class, he didn't get to finish the season the way he'd like due to injury.

Dembele under Xavi in LaLiga : 6 goals and 20 assists in 2826 minutes.
Whatever you think of Raphinha, you can't bend reality to suggest Dembele was bad in his last season here just because you didn't like him, quite the contrary.

jamrock

If their is one of thing about this place, certain people will never just take the L.

I'm not dembele hater, in 6 years at the club, 82 goal contributions.

Rraphina in 2.1 seasons, 52

mc_lovin

That's so wrong. Dembele's last season here was class, he didn't get to finish the season the way he'd like due to injury.

Dembele under Xavi in LaLiga : 6 goals and 20 assists in 2826 minutes.
Whatever you think of Raphinha, you can't bend reality to suggest Dembele was bad in his last season here just because you didn't like him, quite the contrary.
Eh, these stats are heavily inflated by the first half season under Xavi when everybody was flying including Ferran (and we didn't compete for anything).

First season both were in the team the stats look quite similar between them while one was actually dependable and a vastly better runner off the ball.

jamrock

It's purely revisionist to suggest he was better last year than Dembele was under Xavi. Dembele under Xavi looked like a real superstar, I remember some games where he ran the opposition absolutely ragged.

Just because he had a poor injury record does not mean he was bad when he played, two unrelated things.

Raphinha's contribution is better mainly because his physical condition is much better, he's always available and has much more endurance.

And he's clutch something you can coach

ajnotkeith

Eh, these stats are heavily inflated by the first half season under Xavi when everybody was flying including Ferran (and we didn't compete for anything).

First season both were in the team the stats look quite similar between them while one was actually dependable and a vastly better runner off the ball.
If their is one of thing about this place, certain people will never just take the L.

I'm not dembele hater, in 6 years at the club, 82 goal contributions.

Rraphina in 2.1 seasons, 52
I agree that Raphinha has been a better asset for the club, but it doesn't mean Dembele was poor, they are both great players. Dembele just had severe injury issues.

I think Raphinha is somewhat worse technically, but he is much better than Dembele in the physical and mental sides of the game which makes him the better and more dependable player overall. I think Dembele is the better talent but in football availability also matters and he was always being injured.

It would have frankly been nice to have both here, then we wouldn't need to go after Nico as we'd already have those profiles we need.

Andresito

Staff member
Doubt it. He packs a serious power in his shot, and his crosses and delivery in general are among the best in the team. That's why he puts up good assists numbers.

So... even if his dribbling is not great, he can deliver a fine pass to others. You can't really allow him time on the ball in the last third.
Yes. Those are the situations on the break. Raphinha has pace and that is one the ways it should be used.

But I was talking about his positioning. In the games before the last(Olmo got to start and played on mf) Raphinha could also be found on midfield with someone else wide. And would go on left and right flank to cross when it suited. But this allows Raphinha to get on ball sooner and will give him more options.

I might be in the wrong but I am just remembering the games under xavi where he was relentlessly trying to come inside from the wing and lose the ball.

We haven’t seen that game yet where raphinha keeps closing in on the defender on wing and lose the duel almost every time lol.
Well it's not like I'm saying he should leave the ball between his legs for a throw in whenever he receives a pass.

It's the same with Pedro and even Villa. Of course you want Raphinha crossing and shooting, just like you wanted those guys to shoot. It's just that he needs to arrive to those situations without the ball. Rather take as few touches as possible if you will.

Loki

Training with the rest of the squad and Gavi, since Brazil didn't call him this time. Good for us, let him rest and use his anger on the next opponents. Flick's football lets him highlight his strengths. I hope and think we'll see the best of Rapha this season.

companyofcules

I agree that Raphinha has been a better asset for the club, but it doesn't mean Dembele was poor, they are both great players. Dembele just had severe injury issues.

I think Raphinha is somewhat worse technically, but he is much better than Dembele in the physical and mental sides of the game which makes him the better and more dependable player overall. I think Dembele is the better talent but in football availability also matters and he was always being injured.

It would have frankly been nice to have both here, then we wouldn't need to go after Nico as we'd already have those profiles we need.
Raphinha is not worse technically, Dumbele is more agile in his ankles (slim bones) and has a bit more acceleration.
That results in him making some forced driblings or nice cuts. But that Fraud has no talent otherwise, he hits the ball randomly, has no ball control.

I prefer Raphinha over Nico and Dumbele. Has better workrate and is a bit more talented, that's why is more productive. But people here see running fast and cutting in as a talent so they rate those runners higher.
They have the peasant syndrome.

I think if we cut the hype off, Raphinha might be better than Lamine on the right. Yeah, Lamine has finishes, has some passes, has smoth skills, but that is more the trade of a finisher, he is rather slow and he is less mobile.
Lamine worked better than Raphinha because Xavi used his "wingers" as parking spaces for the ball. You stay wide, get the ball and wait for others to move.
The idiot refused to realise that tactic worked because Messi carried their legendary asses.
You need a briliant striker and a AM for that tactic to work, otherwise you pinball back to your keeper.
But in that scenario that failed, of creating time, Lamine is vastly superior. He was briliant for Spain too.
BTW now we have the AM for the tactic Xavi wanted.Still not Messi but clearly better than Gundo, we also need a more agile striker or a force of nature.

Last edited:

companyofcules

I would prefer prime Fati with Raphinha on the right than Lamine and Raphinha.
The kid needs some resting after all and to play like 50 minutes not 90.

serghei

Well it's not like I'm saying he should leave the ball between his legs for a throw in whenever he receives a pass.

It's the same with Pedro and even Villa. Of course you want Raphinha crossing and shooting, just like you wanted those guys to shoot. It's just that he needs to arrive to those situations without the ball. Rather take as few touches as possible if you will.

Yes, I understand this, but Flick's system is built exactly on that happening.

Home of Barca Fans