11 - Raphinha

feggydinho

Not much you can do about the price when Chelsea's pit there making the same offer

There is, you find an alternative. Arsenal backed out when Chelsea made an absurd offer but we followed through, and he'll be more expensive than Sterling and Gabriel Jesus even when they all had just one year left in their contract.

Nucky

This is why my only gripe with this transfer is the pricing. Raphinha is exactly the player you take a punt on.

He is worth 45M according to TM.. Considiring he was Leeds main star and key player to avoid relegation the price is expected..

feggydinho

He is worth 45M according to TM.. Considiring he was Leeds main star and key player to avoid relegation the price is expected..

We're getting him for about 72m if reports are valid, and he's never worth that. The interesting thing is that his contract expires in a year.

wisconsincule

So if all of the rumors are true. FDJ will be sold for 65 plus add ons. While Raphinha is bought for 72(?)

Essentially trading FDJ for Raphinha.

In my opinion that is an awful deal. I will wait until everything is official but it doesn’t seem like Laporta had a clue.

serghei

We're getting him for about 72m if reports are valid, and he's never worth that. The interesting thing is that his contract expires in a year.

How do you know that? Before you see him play for us, you don't know shit, and neither does anybody else.

feggydinho

How do you know that? Before you see him play for us, you don't know shit, and neither does anybody else.

I watched his last 6 games at Leeds, and also watched him against the big 4 (so that's about 10 plus league games). I also saw his Brazil game to know that he's not worth that amount, and you don't throw that kind of money except it's an exceptional talent especially when your books aren't in order. This transfer has all shades of wrong about it, and I hope I'm wrong

serghei

He's not worth that amount now. What he'll be worth in 10 months or a year, not even professional scouters know.

Look at Salah. In retrospect, he was worth 2-3 times more than what they paid for him and that was revealed pretty fast. Everyone was like "wait a minute, they have a home run here".

That's what we need to understand. The value of a player is very hard to determine at a given point when the parameters that obviously dictate it (performances at the top level) are unknown. Because if the outcome of those setups would be known, you'd be talking about players like Salah, Mbappe, which are unobtainable for a club in our position from all points of view.

We don't know how Raphinha will react in a CL match with a bigger, better team behind him. Receiving passes from Pedri, passing potentially to Lewandowski, and stuff like that. Too many wild variables, which will trigger unknown outcomes.

What we see now is a bullshit BBZ approach where everyone throws dirt on every signing, based on the true but superficial pretext that, statistically, most players don't rise up to the potential. But nobody has any clue which does and which doesn't.

Right now, we don't know much and Raphinha for 73-75m would start his affair causing skepticism. Including for me. That could wash away pretty fast if the guy comes in and plays at a world class level. Nobody knows if that will happen or not. That's the bottom line.

Last edited:

Nucky

2 years actually.. His contract expires in June 2024.. I don't judge players before they are even officially announced as new signing.. Time will tell if his signing was worth it or not..

serghei

What is it that you see in him?

I see a combination of excellent base qualities. Speed, panache, and attitude, with a pretty high IQ and a lot of life experience for his age. This player has been around, growing from level to level, he knows how things work. Played in Brazil, France, Portugal, and England, and now he wants to go to Spain. Switching and adapting, these things don't seem to phase him off. He seems a man who knows what he wants and is gonna put in the mileage to make it happen.

When you bring in a player from a lower team to a big club, a key factor is how mature and resilient the guy is. 99.9% of the time a player will face difficulties making the transition and coping with the added pressure of playing for an elite club is essential. That's how most players fail.

Something tells me that Raphinha will respond to that the right way because he is ready for the pressure and is resilient enough to respond well to it.

Players have to respond to fire with fire. He's under pressure, so what? Is he gonna be a pussy like Coutinho, or is he's gonna work hard to rise up and beat the pressure? I believe he will put in the work and he'll be someone you can count on in a big game.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans