14 - Javier Mascherano

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
In order to adapt he needs to play. He is not a teenager and he knows the language and is friends with some of the players. He won't be adapting from a bench. If anything it can only add to his frustration.
Still, I can't see where to fit him atm. as Sergi is one of our best players. Also, Keita looks very good.
Mascherano get some minutes here and there and occasional starts if everything continues the way it is. But who knows, eh. Season is long and the injuries will come and players form fluctuates so things might change.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Still, I can't see where to fit him atm. as Sergi is one of our best players. Also, Keita looks very good.

this is the key thing.

usually when you sign a player like mascherano because of a need in the First XI, but really what we needed was a backup.

now, mascherano is good enough to be a First XI player for us, he's world-class to be honest, but we don't need to rush him at all thanks to busquets' and keita's fine form. we can afford to give him time to settle into the city and play more sporadically to get a measure of how la lliga works with fouls (which is really all he has to figure out).

but as you say, bossjan (there's only one bojan and he wears #9 ;)), the season is long. he'll get his chance eventually.

Trequartista

The good
this is the key thing.

usually when you sign a player like mascherano because of a need in the First XI, but really what we needed was a backup.

now, mascherano is good enough to be a First XI player for us, he's world-class to be honest, but we don't need to rush him at all thanks to busquets' and keita's fine form. we can afford to give him time to settle into the city and play more sporadically to get a measure of how la lliga works with fouls (which is really all he has to figure out).

but as you say, bossjan (there's only one bojan and he wears #9 ;)), the season is long. he'll get his chance eventually.

Just cant see him getting the minutes he deserves,a midfield of Iniesa-Xavi-Busquetes will be our first choice in many matches,a midfield of Keita-Busi-Xavi is far better than Mascherano-Busi-Xavi,I cant see a reason for benching Busi,he is young and he is only getting better every game,I have no doubts about Mascherano but I dont think that he was the player we needed

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Just cant see him getting the minutes he deserves,a midfield of Iniesa-Xavi-Busquetes will be our first choice in many matches,a midfield of Keita-Busi-Xavi is far better than Mascherano-Busi-Xavi,I cant see a reason for benching Busi,he is young and he is only getting better every game,I have no doubts about Mascherano but I dont think that he was the player we needed

how do you know?

we've not even SEEN mascherano-busquets-xavi (I suspect we will, though, purely because I reckon iniesta will play in the front 3 a lot to prepare for next season's cesctacularity).

we sold our secondary DM for 27m, so we needed a new one. everyone knew this. so we went and signed the best DM in the world for 17m to be our secondary.

Trequartista

The good
how do you know?

we've not even SEEN mascherano-busquets-xavi (I suspect we will, though, purely because I reckon iniesta will play in the front 3 a lot to prepare for next season's cesctacularity).

we sold our secondary DM for 27m, so we needed a new one. everyone knew this. so we went and signed the best DM in the world for 17m to be our secondary.

on paper,our Midfield is better with Keita,we always miss his directness,athleticism and runnings,he is the only midifielder we have who appears in the opponents box,even when he doesnt score he can draw the attention of other defenders and help others to score,if Busquetes plat in a further role,will we see him rushing into the box?I doubt,Keita is a unique player in our squad,he will be simple,he will do the job but nothing new,Keita can provide this "new" thing,I still think that we will see the Busquetes-Mascherano-Xavi midfield but for me I prefer a midfield with Keita,BTW we bought Mascherano for 24m,sold Yaya for 27,Mascherano is a great player,one of the best players in his position(not the best though for me) but a player with a back up name could have been better

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
you won't find a bigger fan of keita than me, so you don't have to explain his virtues at all.

but we won't see busquets rushing into the box? you mean like he did on saturday? :lol: the kid started as a striker, if we want him to move forward and play a more direct role he'll do it. it'll be different to keita, sure, but it'll be good stuff for sure. or perhaps we'll deploy him and mascherano in a double pivot? (I think that would be particularly effective if xavi is out).

and 24m? no. I got confused myself, but we paid £17m (or €21m if you prefer) for mascherano and sold yaya for £24m (or €27m).

Trequartista

The good
The double pivot is not an option especially with the way we use Busquetes nowadays but I agree that it would be great if They play with Iniesta/Messi ahead of them,it will also mean that noone from them would drop between Pique and Puyol,only each one of them will cover a fullback Alves and Adriano/Maxwell (abidal would be bad with this formation IMO),but its highly likely that we will retain our formation if both of them play with Busquetes taking The Keita role,it will be different but just cant see him doing that job better than Keita

Rohit

tbh mascherano is a player that doesnt keep his mouth shut not becuase of him but becuase of his agent kia what ever his name. So if mascherano isnt playing enough expect to hear alot about it in the press, an if he doesnt play the amount of games he deserves i guess rafa benitez might come calling from inter and expect him to jump ship. Its shame becuase he is truely world class but busquets is busquets.

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
tbh mascherano is a player that doesnt keep his mouth shut not becuase of him but becuase of his agent kia what ever his name. So if mascherano isnt playing enough expect to hear alot about it in the press, an if he doesnt play the amount of games he deserves i guess rafa benitez might come calling from inter and expect him to jump ship. Its shame becuase he is truely world class but busquets is busquets.

he said when he came here, he knew he wasnt going to be playing all the time... and give it time.. he will get in eventually.. the season is very very early still

Rohit

But he also said that it would be a dream for him to work with rafa benitez again, im sure hell get some game time but his agent isnt the best when it comes to keep things cival and has a habit of talking to the press when his players unhappy

Rohit

I agree with you 10Rivaldo which is why i was surprised pep went out and bought him, less be honest the captain of argentina isnt going to want to sit on the bench for very long especially when rafa benitez and inter could offer him the chance of first team football along with winning things aswell

Home of Barca Fans