14 - Javier Mascherano

Ursegor

World Champion
Are you guys confident he would do well with high pressure during build-ups from the back against RM?

Of course not. He already showed some weaknesses in that aspect against Eibar. Check out 1:05:

Madrid press a lot more, Benzema is always on Busquets' ass.

Having said that. An injured Busquets isn't of any use either. So I have no idea. In :lucho: I trust I guess.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
There was also this instance where Eibar were pressing all the way to CB's/Bravo and instead of clearing it, the team decided to play a quick but intricate passing sequence to bring the ball out of the back. When the ball got to Masch, he passed it straight to an Eibar player and ruined the sequence.

These might be isolated moments but the point is that Eibar had literally around 2 spells of pressing high up the pitch for a semi-lengthy period of time, both of which showed cracks in Mascherano's composure under pressure. He's fully functional in games like Ajax/Eibar when teams get tactically dominated and pushed back to the point where they can't press/attack in numbers. However, that isn't the case with a team like RM who are looking to punish us with a swift counter at any moment.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Masch messes up one pass and he's not good dm for us whereas Busquets makes a blunder per game and he's still the best.
Funny

abual3bed1

I'm in mixed feelings about who should start on Saturday. On one hand Masch has done well and can break Madrid's attacks non-stop with a better pace than Sergio, on the other hand, Busquets adds so much elegance and control to our midfield. Hopefully Lucho has it all figured out.

L

linetty

Busquets is useless with his Hernia issues. Mascherano is a must, I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't start at DM.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Masch messes up one pass and he's not good dm for us whereas Busquets makes a blunder per game and he's still the best.
Funny

Or more like Busquets plays quite well this season ---> Has one bad game ---> 'Masch is better, Busquets is lazy, he don't deserve to be the starter anymore etc'

DonAK

Nonetheless, I hope Masch does well if he starts and I think he should start as it's not really wise to put Busquets right back in.

As for whether Masch deserves to start over Busquets or not then I think it's ridiculous how people have forgotten Busi's excellent performances early this season after one bad game where he was trying to be too cute with his backheels and flicks which he should cut out. Not saying that Masch is a hack and Busi is some special creature who can't be displaced and should start every match, but to completely disregard one player's performances just like that and hype one player up based on one game where he was decent and a WC in a team which played in a different way and where he had a bit of a different role is bit hillarious.

I don't know if it's selective amnesia or bias.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Or more like Busquets plays quite well this season ---> Has one bad game ---> 'Masch is better, Busquets is lazy, he don't deserve to be the starter anymore etc'

Sorry mate, you seem to forget last 2-3 seasons where, on a whole, Busquets has been among our worst players whereas Masch has been thrown to battle it out constantly with players 10cm taller than him and playing out of his position.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Sorry mate, you seem to forget last 2-3 seasons where, on a whole, Busquets has been among our worst players whereas Masch has been thrown to battle it out constantly with players 10cm taller than him and playing out of his position.

That is not true. Busi had better seasons before but he has played well in the last couple of years.

DonAK

He has not been at his best the last couple of seasons and I agree with that, but he has done quite well so far this season except that one game against PSG.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say he has done well in a game or two rather then been good. Aside from making his usual blunders, his injury(?) makes him practically useless against counters. He losses possession and can't sprint. Heck, he's 190cm and can't head the ball if his life depended on it.
Just compare what Rakitic does defensively compared to dm Busquets.
If we're keeping him for a "build-up" mind as well play Xavi there as he's a master at it. Have him in old Pirlo role.

CatalinR10

Other than his mistakes in the first part of the game , he was really good. Had some big interceptions and played with passion.

SeloBarca

No, he was the reason for 3-1. Iniesta had that under control and Masch shouldnt have bullrushed into the situation.
That was awful defending.

Devils

People keep hating on him, but he keeps shutting them up.

Without a doubt our best defender today, worked his ass off and saved us from embarrassment.

I don't understand why people say he shouldn't be played as a defender because he isn't one, he so much better than Pique its almost comical.

Home of Barca Fans