14 - Javier Mascherano

BBZ8800

Mascherano's quality tackles and in general his defensive contributions were well admired ever since he was playing for River Plate. It was only since his Liverpool days which they've become known worldwide. Tackle is not only quality, it's an art. The timing and positioning should be spot on at the right time to make the right tackle. It's not only about his World Cup match saving tackle against Robben, or his tackles last night, or the one he did against Lord Bendtner some years ago at Camp Nou. Masche has been doing this for a long time.

And I'm not surprised Xabi Alonso doesn't consider tackling a quality, as his tackles usually end up on the opponent's legs. Ofc thuggery is not considered quality.

That still doesn't say too much about him being a Dmc in Barca.
Barca's RB needs to be a world class player in the attack, usually.
Barca's Gk needs to have a Messi's technique etc.

Dmc's defending and tackling is probably only 1/3 of what he does for the team during 90 Minutes (other 2/3 would probably be: passing, attacking actions, movement off the ball when we have the possession, linking up with teammates, build up of attacks, good positional play all the time etc)

So again, even an average or even poor tackler could be a better Dmc for our style, than the best defender+tackler in the world, if the player 1 is much better in other aspects of our play.

Xavi was our Dmc 10 years ago. Even Gerard Lopez (who was a horrible defender) was sometimes a Dmc.
(They weren't awesome, but they were awesome in some areas and weaker in other areas, the same as Mascherano)

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Killahead
That still doesn't say too much about him being a Dmc in Barca.
Barca's RB needs to be a world class player in the attack, usually.
Barca's Gk needs to have a Messi's technique etc.

Dmc's defending and tackling is probably only 1/3 of what he does for the team during 90 Minutes (other 2/3 would probably be: passing, attacking actions, movement off the ball when we have the possession, linking up with teammates, build up of attacks, good positional play all the time etc)

So again, even an average or even poor tackler could be a better Dmc for our style, than the best defender+tackler in the world, if the player 1 is much better in other aspects of our play.

Xavi was our Dmc 10 years ago. Even Gerard Lopez (who was a horrible defender) was sometimes a Dmc.
(They weren't awesome, but they were awesome in some areas and weaker in other areas, the same as Mascherano)

There was nothing on my post discussing if Mascherano is a good DMC for Barca or not.

Iarwain

Anyone noticed him during that Villlarreal goal? He actually was in the last defense line right of Pique and didn't move in front of them after Mathieu headed the ball to Iniesta. Guess he forgot for a moment he was not a CB. :p

Last edited:

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
Gaucho did get us back to our winning ways, so massive respect for that, but he also caused a lot of grief in his final years which let him down imo.

raskolnikov

Masche is great but definitely not the best signing, maybe top 10.

Beside that, he is the only real leader type on the pitch. He should be the captain, same with Argentina.

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
When I first wrote that I was being a little sensationalist, but the more I think about it the more in seems to make sense. I am not saying he is the best player we have bought, but the best signing we have made.

Home of Barca Fans