5. Deco
6. Larsson
7. Henry
8. Mascherano
9. Abidal
10. Toure

LordLichtenstein

53710b14a320b.png

Might begin to call him Spider-Man... Because of his ability to foresee threats.

zanela

And I'm not surprised Xabi Alonso doesn't consider tackling a quality, as his tackles usually end up on the opponent's legs. Ofc thuggery is not considered quality.

When a defensive player's primary instincts fail, he must 've other qualities to fall back on. Xabi Alonso has none, no wonder he resorts to fouling the opponent.
The great defensive rocks of the past were excellent tacklers of the ball. Nesta's inch perfect interception on messi was a marvel. The Alonso's of this world won't acknowledge or comprehend its complexity because they fail at it.

DrPepper

When a defensive player's primary instincts fail, he must 've other qualities to fall back on. Xabi Alonso has none, no wonder he resorts to fouling the opponent.
The great defensive rocks of the past were excellent tacklers of the ball. Nesta's inch perfect interception on messi was a marvel. The Alonso's of this world won't acknowledge or comprehend its complexity because they fail at it.

Exactly. Therefore my question still stands: Why did he need to (slide) tackle in the first place? Probably because his initial positioning was not ideal.

Not saying he isn't a great player by any means. I'm happy as well to have him in our squad, he seems quite likeable. Just thinking crunching sliding tackles are slightly overrated here because it's simply more spectacular than being at the right place all the time to calmly intercept passes. Probably that's why people demand Mascherano to be the permanent DM at every game. But that's not what DMs should be about really.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I think it would be something like this then:

1 Dinho
2. Eto'o
3. Alves
4. Pique
5. Deco
6. Larsson
7. Henry
8. Mascherano
9. Abidal
10. Toure

I would easily place Mascherano over Larsson and Henry... And even Piqué and Deco if you push me, even though I don't consider Piqué as a through and through signing as he came from La Masia...

zanela

Exactly. Therefore my question still stands: Why did he need to (slide) tackle in the first place? Probably because his initial positioning was not ideal.

May be because initial positioning can't always be ideal. Yes, some are better at it than the others, but you're bound to fail a few times.

Messi

May be because initial positioning can't always be ideal. Yes, some are better at it than the others, but you're bound to fail a few times.

I agree with this and even more, you don't have to fail to get in a situation where a last ditch tackle is your only option. Sometimes the opposition move in ways you can't predict or our defence is outnumbered on a counter. In these situations good tackling skills are crucial. Positioning Can limit the need for tackling but as long as we are playing against human opposition it can't replace tackling completely!

Home of Barca Fans