19 - Lamine Yamal

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Yeah, was anonymous yesterday. Expected he will fizzle out and Raphinha start playing again. Let's see if he is already done and will come off the bench from time to time or there are still some games in him as a starter.
He was great since he was covering RB and RW on his own with non-existing support from Bob. Put in a good defensive shift and what limited ball time he received, tried to be positive.

BBZ8800

Anyway, I'll start with the one thing which I don't like about him for now.
I'll quote my post from a few months ago when I have seen him for the first time:
Something is weird with both his first touch and when he dribbles.
During his first touch, the ball often bounces 1 meter away from him.
And during his dribbles, he often kicks the ball too far away from his feet and making it easy for defenders to take the ball without any effort.

I know, he is young, he might improve blah blah.
But in the sea of overly emotional overhyped posts, let's add some balance and question marks.

He touched the ball 5-6 times in this match and on 2-3 occasions his first touch and kicking the ball too far from his feet got him into troubles.
When I watched his highlights a few days ago, my first thought after 2 minutes of a video was the same: the ball is constantly bouncing like 1 meter away from him and that kind of a ball control won't work against senior first division defenders.
In the league match last weekend, he was good though.

But now, while watching his highlights against Osasuna, I see the same things which bothered me about him since the first day when I have seen him:
= his ball control and shielding of the ball is weird/bad.
I'll try to explain:
1. there are players like Messi who have the ball glued to their feet and you can't take the ball from them easily
2. then there are players like Xavi and Arthur who are good at shielding the ball with their body, when their body is always in between the ball and the opponent.
With Lamal, for now, he does none of that:
1. the ball is not glued to his feet and he has some sort of a weird dribble where he sort of kicks the ball 1 meter from him (to the left) and then he does body faints.
But during that time, the ball is far away from him and there is a high chance for losing it if the defender reads it well (which will probably happen more often once when the opponents learn his trademark moves)
2. unlike Xavi, Arthur or even Frenkie, he is not shielding the ball with his body either.
When he has the ball, the ball is "open". It is between him and the opponent, and as mentioned in the point no1, very often the ball is even half a meter or a full meter away from him.
3. also, his first touch is sometimes Ronaldinho/Messi like where he controls the ball perfectly. But sometimes his first touch is on a level of Dembele/Oleguer where the ball goes far, far away from him and is controlled pretty badly.

Now, after reading this, try to look his highlights from yesterday and maybe some of you will see where am I coming from.
His ball shielding is very bad and it too often looks as if he will get dispossessed in any moment.
Also, take a look how he kicks and run often (I guess that is his style), but he isn't that strong or fast for now, so he often loses the ball after that kick and run move:

JamDav1982

Aye so whats your prediction for Lamal?

Textbook BBZ acting like folk are making out he is the complete player at 16 who never makes a mistake.

Same as did with all these young players who turned out better than made out.

Tell you who he is better than now... Braithwaite the 'best attacker at Barca' a few years back.

vegitot

Bbz is right though. When a young player starts first few games, he will have surprised factor. Opponent won't know about him first and they can be shocked. But after he plays games after games, that surprised factor is gone and opponent will manage to contain him.

The same will happen to Yamal. So he must be used wisely. Not rush into first XI when he is just 16. There are Raphinha and Torres ahead of him.

BusiTheKing

Obviously it's harder to sustain a level as a starter than making an impact to prove yourself. He did well and got the fans hyped. Now comes the anxiety of losing that goodwill. The fear of making mistakes. It's only a natural step on the way.

If we suddenly stop playing him after the first not-so-great game (or even couple of games), we'll only be reinforcing that anxiety. Don't start him every game but let him find his level with consistent playing time over the season.

Neeraj

Seeing a bit of the overhyping of Lamal as I saw with Fati (not just on the forum, I mean in general). I think he's a promising young player, that's about it.

It feels to me that we've been so starved of talent and we've been through such a tumultuous time after our Pep era that we go absolutely over the top about any emerging talent. Think Bojan (next messi), Fati (next Messi), now Lamal...

If Lamal was coming up in the ranks at Chelsea or Arsenal, I don't think the world would be flipping out about him as much as it is.

Not saying he doesn't look like an exciting young player, but we really need to calm down. Basing our tactics on a 16 year creating magic is absolutely insane. Of course, only having Raphinha (whom I don't rate at all) as competition doesn't help matters.

iniestaGOAT

Seeing a bit of the overhyping of Lamal as I saw with Fati (not just on the forum, I mean in general). I think he's a promising young player, that's about it.

It feels to me that we've been so starved of talent and we've been through such a tumultuous time after our Pep era that we go absolutely over the top about any emerging talent. Think Bojan (next messi), Fati (next Messi), now Lamal...

If Lamal was coming up in the ranks at Chelsea or Arsenal, I don't think the world would be flipping out about him as much as it is.

Not saying he doesn't look like an exciting young player, but we really need to calm down. Basing our tactics on a 16 year creating magic is absolutely insane. Of course, only having Raphinha (whom I don't rate at all) as competition doesn't help matters.

Doubters need to relax.

Pedri
Yamal
Roque
Balde

Are all real fooking deals. I am sure there are more but I can't think of other names right now.

Keep calm and take Ls as they keep winning titles.

One la Liga already down.

ajnotkeith

Doubters need to relax.

Pedri
Yamal
Roque
Balde

Are all real fooking deals. I am sure there are more but I can't think of other names right now.

All these bad players and we won a league somehow... must be the biggest miracle in history according to these guys.

PEDRI
YAMAL
ROQUE
BALDE
ARAUJO
FERMIN

WE ARE MARCHING

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

I mean, the guy has been hyped for years as the biggest talent since Thiago/Bojan/Messi/whatever. I think it's just a continuation of those unreal expectations. So far he looks like the real deal.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Doubters need to relax.

Pedri
Yamal
Roque
Balde

Pedri definitely
yamal and roque looking promising, lets see
Balde hot and cold

Neeraj

Lol at the ridiculous takes on here. How is not overhyping someone equate to being a 'doubter'? I literally said I like him and that he's an exciting young player, and that somehow = doubter? :lol: The kid has played some 200 minutes or something for us ffs.

And my point of us routinely calling emerging talents the next Messi = him not being good enough cause he's not gifted like Messi?

The reading comprehension on here :lol:

Home of Barca Fans