2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

dalitis8

Banned
Best.

Team.

Ever.

Xavi and Iniesta are the best midfields of all time.

Not that we had any doubt, but now it's official as well...

kiki#8

There in spirit

Barcelona_sale_calle_triunfo_Barca.jpg

la rambla?

Unbiased United

Well done Barcelona!

I'm quite blown away to be honest, I've seen Barca dominate other teams like that, and although I always knew they could hurt us I didn't expect it to be so comprehensively. It was a masterclass and I concede they are possibly the best team ever, and certainly the best passing team to ever play the game.

Whats so frustrating is that I know United are very capable of hurting teams when we get chances, (as our goal proved), but even a team like United, who are known for keeping possesion just couldn't get those chances (we couldn't get the ball, nevermind chances). If I wasn't a United fan I might say Barca are 'lucky', because the ball always ends up at a Barca players feet. It could take a huge deflection off a player and unquestionably land at the feet of a Barca player. But thats not luck, great teams create their own 'luck', they just simply know where they need to be every time.

I'm gutted that we lost, but I'm not angry. There was little bad blood, or controverstial decsions. The game was played mostly in good spirits, and we lost not because we are a bad team but because of Barcelona's class. In fact I still think United are a fantastic team (you don't win the EPL by 9 points, and get to the CL final otherwise), but even a plain old 'fantastic' team is going to get beaten by the best team in the world.

Anyone who I previously described as arrogant or overly cocky, will no doubt have a lot to say now. But my opinion hasn't and never will change on what I said. There have been many people in the past, showing the same traits as yourselves and ended up with a serious amount of egg on their faces....but luckily for you Barca have stepped up to the mark. It would be nice to see the people I speak of being as modest and humble as those in the Barca camp, but I think there is little chance of that happening tbh.

However to everyone else, I can offer nothing but good things to say. Not only do Barcelona know how to win convincingly, they know how to do it in style. I really can't take anything away from them. They deserved to win last night and I make no excuses. They are quite simply fantastic, and now having beaten everyone put in front of them can rightly take the title of being 'the best''.

From a United point of view I can't think of many positives OR negatives. Rooney's goal showed just what a world class player he is, and the full team certainly didn't lack in the effort they put in, but thats about it. On the downside, I was disappointed with our fabulous keeper. VDS has been a rock this season, and as such I thought he could have done better with Barca's first two goals. Also Hernandez was very off the mark, and showed although he's a fantastic young player, he still has a lot to learn. But other than that it was Barcelona's class which infuenced the outcome, not anything United did rightly or wrongly.

Its being said United will sign some top players now, and if so hopefully, if we meet again next season (which I think we will), will mean we have more of a chance, but against that Barca team, perhaps not.

Well done Barca, enjoy the celebrations Cules!

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
I think it is the park at L'Arc de Triomf. The towers in the distance look like the ones at the Olympic Village.

Yeah. It's L'Arc de Triomf.

Park Vella looming on the background <3

Well done Barcelona!

I'm quite blown away to be honest, I've seen Barca dominate other teams like that, and although I always knew they could hurt us I didn't expect it to be so comprehensively. It was a masterclass and I concede they are possibly the best team ever, and certainly the best passing team to ever play the game.

Whats so frustrating is that I know United are very capable of hurting teams when we get chances, (as our goal proved), but even a team like United, who are known for keeping possesion just couldn't get those chances (we couldn't get the ball, nevermind chances). If I wasn't a United fan I might say Barca are 'lucky', because the ball always ends up at a Barca players feet. It could take a huge deflection off a player and unquestionably land at the feet of a Barca player. But thats not luck, great teams create their own 'luck', they just simply know where they need to be every time.

I'm gutted that we lost, but I'm not angry. There was little bad blood, or controverstial decsions. The game was played mostly in good spirits, and we lost not because we are a bad team but because of Barcelona's class. In fact I still think United are a fantastic team (you don't win the EPL by 9 points, and get to the CL final otherwise), but even a plain old 'fantastic' team is going to get beaten by the best team in the world.

Anyone who I previously described as arrogant or overly cocky, will no doubt have a lot to say now. But my opinion hasn't and never will change on what I said. There have been many people in the past, showing the same traits as yourselves and ended up with a serious amount of egg on their faces....but luckily for you Barca have stepped up to the mark. It would be nice to see the people I speak of being as modest and humble as those in the Barca camp, but I think there is little chance of that happening tbh.

However to everyone else, I can offer nothing but good things to say. Not only do Barcelona know how to win convincingly, they know how to do it in style. I really can't take anything away from them. They deserved to win last night and I make no excuses. They are quite simply fantastic, and now having beaten everyone put in front of them can rightly take the title of being 'the best''.

From a United point of view I can't think of many positives OR negatives. Rooney's goal showed just what a world class player he is, and the full team certainly didn't lack in the effort they put in, but thats about it. On the downside, I was disappointed with our fabulous keeper. VDS has been a rock this season, and as such I thought he could have done better with Barca's first two goals. Also Hernandez was very off the mark, and showed although he's a fantastic young player, he still has a lot to learn. But other than that it was Barcelona's class which infuenced the outcome, not anything United did rightly or wrongly.

Its being said United will sign some top players now, and if so hopefully, if we meet again next season (which I think we will), will mean we have more of a chance, but against that Barca team, perhaps not.

Thanks for the sincere congratulations, mate.

You're a quality poster and hope you'd stick around despite of having lost the final.

I wish ManU good luck and hope they'll do good next season.

Seamus

Messi's celebration was hilarious for his own goal, kicking the microphone and then Alves trying to kick it :lol:

S

Straycat

Congrats to all Barcasupporters today. Greetings from Norway. I see that the parade will start 17.30. But where? Through La Rambla?

Unbiased United

Yeah. It's L'Arc de Triomf.

Park Vella looming on the background <3

Thanks for the sincere congratulations, mate.

You're a quality poster and hope you'd stick around despite of having lost the final.

I wish ManU good luck and hope they'll do good next season.

Thanks bud.

Actually I may have been a little harsh to people on here in my last post. Just read through all last nights and this mornings comments and 99.9% are really reasonable, so fair play to you anyone who posted.

Forgot to add, it was SO sad to see SAF shake last night. Was almost like watching a close relative in distress, quite upsetting really.

Messi__10

Man I couldn't sleep! What an amazing final!
I just want to thank Fergie and all the man utd players, because they came on the pitch like real men and tried to play football, I really have respect for man utd, it's an amazing team. I also want to thank the man utd fans for being so respectfull, you guys truly are great supporters!

Now for barca! Wow! I was nervous against madrid in november, and barca dominated them with 5-0, I was nervous against man utd last night and barca dominated them with 3-1. The way they play, the way they celebrate, that's why I freakin' love this club! We approach every game with the same philosophy, and that is playing attacking football with amazing combinations!

Pedro is becoming a legend, because he always scores when it matters the most! Messi scored on english soil! And villa's goal was an absolute beauty. Also special mentions to piqué who was a fucking wall once again, and abidal for being a freaking beast!

WE'VE DONE IT AGAIN GUYS!!!! VISCA BARCA!!!! VISCA CATALUNYA!!!! :champions:

PS: Thank you Ibra for your curse! :p The man left us and we won the CL again :p

impeh

Hi, its me..
nice post Unbiased United, and i have to agree, there arent many negatives from a united point of view.

The way you responded going a goal down was brilliant, our team would have been proud to score that goal. Rio said before hand that rooney was gonna step up (or something like that) and he sure did.
Again united started really well, the first 10 minutes flew by and they were certainly on top, then barca got the ball down and with xavi/iniesta on song its very hard to stop. I think from a barca point of view, it wasnt just the usual xavi/iniesta/messi that played amazing, villa and pedro both stepped up too, after being .. below their usual standard for the last couple of months. (imo)
Masch, along with the three mentioned above, has probably been our most consistant player for a while now, and apart from a few ariel (sp?) battles (cant really fault him for that, he's only small), he was brilliant again at CB, where i thought we may struggle without puyol.. who has been vital along side pique.
I also think our defence are underrated, managed to keep Hernandez quiet last night, ronaldo on countless times, and aside from the goal.. probably rooney too.

random question, what next for berbatov? if anything, him coming on would have caused some problems for mascherano, but not even on the bench.. he must be very annoyed.

I, for one, hope we dont meet next season :D i think your team only need a few tweaks (a younger.. fresh playmaker) and it will be a much closer game, there were a few minutes where it could have gone either way at 1-1.

Clockwise

Buccaneer
Well done Barcelona!

well ManU is a geart side. I really grew even more respect for SAF who decided to really play football and credit to united team who actually came out to play good football not just hacking us down and they started the game really well and after that acted real classy and not like a bunch of sore losers.
MU played great game and Barca played fabulous football and created a final that was extremely pleasing to watch.

nice post Unbiased United, and i have to agree, there arent many negatives from a united point of view.

The way you responded going a goal down was brilliant, our team would have been proud to score that goal. Rio said before hand that rooney was gonna step up (or something like that) and he sure did.
Again united started really well, the first 10 minutes flew by and they were certainly on top, then barca got the ball down and with xavi/iniesta on song its very hard to stop. I think from a barca point of view, it wasnt just the usual xavi/iniesta/messi that played amazing, villa and pedro both stepped up too, after being .. below their usual standard for the last couple of months. (imo)
Masch, along with the three mentioned above, has probably been our most consistant player for a while now, and apart from a few ariel (sp?) battles (cant really fault him for that, he's only small), he was brilliant again at CB, where i thought we may struggle without puyol.. who has been vital along side pique.
I also think our defence are underrated, managed to keep Hernandez quiet last night, ronaldo on countless times, and aside from the goal.. probably rooney too.

random question, what next for berbatov? if anything, him coming on would have caused some problems for mascherano, but not even on the bench.. he must be very annoyed.

I, for one, hope we dont meet next season :D i think your team only need a few tweaks (a younger.. fresh playmaker) and it will be a much closer game, there were a few minutes where it could have gone either way at 1-1.

Exactly!

Last edited:

Unbiased United

Nice post too Impeh, very modest of you! :)

I have to agree, all this talk of Barca perhaps having a weak defence was laid to rest last night. They are obviously very good, even without Puyol. Plus, it also helps to have that midfield in front of them! :D

We definately do need a playmaker type player in our midfield (a younger Scholes please! :D). I was really disappointed that Berbatov missed out at a place on the bench last night, and the fact Owen made it in his place suggests to me he might not be at United next season, which would be a bit of a shame really, because he is a very classy player.

Aside for the center of our midfield, there really isn't anything we can do to improve I dont think. We have a great set of players. Its just really unfortunate for us that there is a team at the unprecedented level which barcelona are at. It is possibly as close to perfection as a team could ever be, which is quite worrying for everyone else! :(

But again, seriously well done Barcelona!

Pitbull2k4

Best moments of the evening:

Messi going ape. Luckily they filmed him from below, so it actually looked intimidating. In all seriousness a great moment.

After the first goal, everyone is celebrating and in the background Xavi and Iniesta come walking hand in hand, looking like a Siamese twin on XTC. The video is on one of the previous pages, check it out.

Alves during the celebration, I have no clue what the hell he was doing, he was out of control :D Also a beautiful moment.

Home of Barca Fans