2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

Alissa

So he's right then, 'Barca are better no matter what because I say they are'....shame.

Ok, I give up.

Neil1984 said:
Look, we all know Barca play the "best" football, I wax lyrical about them every single week, but the best football isn't always thee winningest football, just ask Holland in the 70s.
Thank you, this is exactly what I meant.

Unbiased United

The thing I observed about our team is... we generally are very slow in the first 15 minutes. That's like our reaction time, we get into our passing rhythm only after that period. Against smaller teams we don't necessarily observe that because they don't have the talent to expose that issue. But when we play the elite, it tends to show. Kinda like the CL final against UTD. Usually the opponents have the first sight of goal!!

With Chicharito and Rooney in the box and the pacey wingers in Valencia & Nani, UTD have enough tools to expose our usual slow starts. So the defense needs to be at their highest concentration during that period. Once we cross that first hurdle safely, if the attack take their chances I think we are in for a win. We'll see what happens. Hoping for the best for our club :)

I agree, I think the key for United is stopping Barca getting into their game. If Barca start to flow, it could be very tough for Utd....but we have the tools to hurt you if you don't! :)

Oh, yes.
I'm sure it will be.
Its just that "close" never really counts.
They only remember those who lift "the thingy" at the end of it all.
Oh bloody hell.:D.

Lol! ..true! :D

N

Neil1984

Which side are you btw?!

I grew up a United fan, the whole family are United fans. However, on my own accord, I took an interest in Barca back when Cruyff was in charge, and a more serious interest towards the end of the 90s when Figo, Rivaldo, Pep and legend Lucho were there. I have rooted for them as my 2nd team ever since. By that I mean that I support Barca with huge passion in any game except against United. And it goes to the point where in 09, even though I felt United would fare better in Rome against Cheslea, I wanted Barca to win the semi final and went nuts when Iniesta scored. I even did a journalistic piece on Barca as part of a competition. Xavi is my favourite footballer. I think Pep is a breath of fresh air to the game.

I'll be rooting for United in the final, but am happy that if they lose, it will be to Barca and not los Wankos.

Because of my fondness for both teams, I feel that I have a very objective view of how both teams will do.

I believe Barca are favourites maybe 65/35, but I am in no way counting United out because they have a few weapons to hurt Barca, mainly pace, defence and mental toughness.

I have no desire to speak badly of either side in the build up for the game either, I'm about as fair minded on this as you'll get actually. I believe both sides should get respect. Someone suggested to me that Barca will go out to dive their way to the final the other day, a fellow United fan, and I had an argument with him about it. I want to be fair to both sides rather than undermining 2 fantastic teams with petty insults.

Please don't put words in my mouth, I would never say such thing. What I meant was: no matter who wins Barca remains the better team for me. If United wins they will for sure deserve it and will be the better team on that particular day but Barca remains the best team of the year for me.

I didn't put words in your mouth, I quoted your post and my interpretation of it, which I would say is how most people would interpret it? If that's not what you intended to say then I apologise but perhaps you should word it differently? EDIT, I saw your response now, I accept your point! :)

I agree, Barca have been the outstanding team of the year, there's nobody like Messi, Xavi is a God and they play an amazing brand of football. And if Barca win I will be joining in the plaudits for them. But if United win a league and CL in the next 3 weeks, I believe that should be respected more than implying they were lucky on the day. Seasons are about consistency, and goals win football matches, not possession, so just because Barca kept the ball better than anyone all year, United would have scored more important goals to win the important games, and that consistency can't be shrugged off with a "ah it was just their lucky day" kind of talk in my opinion.

Last edited:

Alissa

I didn't put words in your mouth, I quoted your post and my interpretation of it, which I would say is how most people would interpret it? If that's not what you intended to say then I apologise but perhaps you should word it differently? I agree, Barca have been the outstanding team of the year, there's nobody like Messi, Xavi is a God and they play an amazing brand of football. And if Barca win I will be joining in the plaudits for them. But if United win a league and CL in the next 3 weeks, I believe that should be respected more than implying they were lucky on the day. Seasons are about consistency, and goals win football matches, not possession, so just because Barca kept the ball better than anyone all year, United would have scored more important goals to win the important games, and that consistency can't be shrugged off with a "ah it was just their lucky day" kind of talk in my opinion.

We are definitely on the same page, I agree with every word you said. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, English isn't my first language.

N

Neil1984

We are definitely on the same page, I agree with every word you said. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, English isn't my first language.

No problem at all. No need to apologise, in fact, I apologise, I didn't realise that. Well you speak English far better than I speak Spanish or French too so fair play!! :) Communication breakdown!

Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Killahead
I grew up a United fan, the whole family are United fans. However, on my own accord, I took an interest in Barca back when Cruyff was in charge, and a more serious interest towards the end of the 90s when Figo, Rivaldo, Pep and legend Lucho were there. I have rooted for them as my 2nd team ever since. By that I mean that I support Barca with huge passion in any game except against United. And it goes to the point where in 09, even though I felt United would fare better in Rome against Cheslea, I wanted Barca to win the semi final and went nuts when Iniesta scored. I even did a journalistic piece on Barca as part of a competition. Xavi is my favourite footballer. I think Pep is a breath of fresh air to the game.

I'll be rooting for United in the final, but am happy that if they lose, it will be to Barca and not los Wankos.

Because of my fondness for both teams, I feel that I have a very objective view of how both teams will do.

I believe Barca are favourites maybe 65/35, but I am in no way counting United out because they have a few weapons to hurt Barca, mainly pace, defence and mental toughness.

We kinda had a similar situation. My Barca crush started in Cruyff era as well. But I'm also an Inter fan. Can't say which one is my first or second team cause I love both clubs the same way really. That's why though I was watching their last year CL matches as neutral but at the same time was getting hot and cold for BOTH teams thoughout the matches. It was a scary sticky situation!! :lol: So I exactly know what you're talking about being objective about both teams. :)

Anyhow, Putting my hatred to Man United aside, I believe Barca is the most likely winner of this match. I was feeling the same way two years ago. Football circumstances may cause some surprises but in comparison I don't think man United can really match Barcelona in the final.

Unbiased United

We kinda had a similar situation. My Barca crush started in Cruyff era as well. But I'm also an Inter fan. Can't say which one is my first or second team cause I love both clubs the same way really. That's why though I was watching their last year CL matches as neutral but at the same time was getting hot and cold for BOTH teams thoughout the matches. It was a scary sticky situation!! :lol: So I exactly know what you're talking about being objective about both teams. :)

Anyhow, Putting my hatred to Man United aside, I believe Barca is the most likely winner of this match. I was feeling the same way two years ago. Football circumstances may cause some surprises but in comparison I don't think man United can really match Barcelona in the final.

Can I ask why you have 'hatred' for Manchester United? I know Liverpool and Man City fans are jealous of our success, and thats their reasons, but I cant understand it from Barca's point of view. I don't hate any team to be honest, its such a strong word. but the only teams I dislike are from my country. Other teams out of the daily footaball politcs at home, I tend to be neutral, or even admire...as is the case with Barca.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Can i ask why you have 'hatred' for Manchester United? I know Liverpool and Man City fans are jealous of our success, and thats their reasons, but I cant understand it from barca's point of view. I don't hate any team to be honest, its such a strong word. but the only teams I dislike are from my counrty. Other teams out of the daily footabll politcs at home, I tend to be neutral, or even admire...as is the case with Barca.

90% of that back to your 99 CL victory. I could not believe a team win a match like that and then go on and on about how they conquered the world and they are the greatest team in history and their coach is the greatest ever! Such an arrogance is unbelievable for me. Tbh though I rate your club among the greatest ones in the world but I believe everything about Manchester United is extremely overrated. PS I consider your team a very lucky one, that get lucky in the crucial times in alot of situations that eventually save their ass! By saying your team is overrated and lucky I don't mean that your team is shit or whatever. I just think people give way too much credit to Manchester United, more than what they deserve.

Unbiased United

Not even gonna comment........

Its true! :) ....One of my best friends is a Liverpool fan, and although he won't admit it, he gets more pleasure out of United losing than he does his own team winning. Its the way things work, United have totally dominated English football for twenty years, leaving little for anyone else, if roles were reversed as they perhaps will be one day, I might feel the same about that team. Human nature, and even more English nature...we hate anyone that does well.

Unbiased United

90% of that back to your 99 CL victory. I could not believe a team win a match like that and then go on and on about how they conquered the world and they are the greatest team in history and their coach is the greatest ever! Such an arrogance is unbelievable for me. Tbh though I rate your club among the greatest ones in the world but I believe everything about Manchester United is extremely overrated. PS I consider your team a very lucky one, that get lucky in the crucial times in alot of situations that eventually save their ass! By saying your team is overrated and lucky I don't mean that your team is shit or whatever. I just think people give way too much credit to Manchester United, more than what they deserve.

Wow....oh ok. It does make me laugh though this 'luck' thing. Lucky teams don't win things season after season. In relation to SAF even a poll on this very own Barca website rates him as the greatest manager ever...and thats your fans. I suppose it depends what type of person you are (and this isn't an insult) if you want underdogs to win etc...you might hate United (obviously Barca aren't underdogs, but you support them, so that doesn't count), but if like me you love people/teams who win time after time, then its impossible to hate United as an outsider (I,e non direct rival).

N

Neil1984

Oh dear.

You know in 99 they won the treble. They knocked Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool out of the FA Cup that year, every round you would think now they'll play some small team and then boom, big tie! They were in a group with Barca and Bayern that year and beat Inter and Juventus en route to the final. Juve had them down and out only for an epic fight back away at the Delli Alpi. The hype and credit comees from being the 1st English team to achieve a treble.

They were also very unlucky in that their 1st choice midfield in that era was always:

Giggs---Scholes---Keane----Beckham

but in that final through suspension they lost 2 of those 4 and had to play the other 2 out of position:

Blomqvist--Butt--Beckham--Giggs

EVERY team who wins the CL gets luck. United have shown sooo many times that those late goals are not lucky, they come from a dogged perseverence, instilled in them from the manager. I think you are doing a disservice to say they are any luckier than any other side. Maybe it appears that way because they have been so consistently good under Fergie that the sheer volume of trophies won (and as I said, every won trophy requires luck) means that their luck is on show more, but in equal and greater volumes, by definition, so is their class. Also, to add, Ferguson has always been willing to go gung ho in search of goals, and I've seen United get tonked as a result at times too! But it's the willingness to do so that makes his own luck in a way.

They are lucky I suppose, 1958 nearly ended United as an entity and a club altogether, so thank God it didn't, and I think as such, there's a spirit to the club that means they'll never quit because of that.

I mean, United were fortunate in that on the night Bayern had the better fof the game, but it was Bayerns goal that came from a deflection. United scored 2 good goals with no luck.

08 United were fortunate because John Terry hit the post, but they were also unlucky in that VDs slipped for the equlaiser.

Barca were lucky at Chelsea in 09 and Inter were VERY lucky in 2010 at the Camp Nou. Every team who has ever won a trophy has had an element of luck.

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

Its true! :) ....One of my best friends is a Liverpool fan, and although he won't admit it, he gets more pleasure out of United losing than he does his own team winning. Its the way things work, United have totally dominated English football for twenty years, leaving little for anyone else, if roles were reversed as they perhaps will be one day, I might feel the same about that team. Human nature, and even more English nature...we hate anyone that does well.

No Liverpool fan I know including myself is jealous of you guys. Can't speak for City fans (we used to have one here but he is banned, but I am sure if he were here he would say similar.) Whatever though, this isn't the topic at hand. :p

Anyway credit to you and a couple other United posters that have shown up so far for being mature in discussion here. A lot of times we get fans of our competition who just want to troll (Arsenal fans recently were really bad) and I'm glad that hasn't really seemed to happen yet.

Unbiased United

Oh dear.

You know in 99 they won the treble. They were also very unlucky in that their 1st choice midfield in that era was always:

Giggs---Scholes---Keane----Beckham

but in that final through suspension they lost 2 of those 4 and had to play the other 2 out of position:

Blomqvist--Butt--Beckham--Giggs

They were in a group with Barca and Bayern that year and beat Inter and Juventus en route to the final.

EVERY team who wins the CL gets luck. United have shown sooo many times that those late goals are not lucky, they come from a dogged perseverence, instilled in them from the manager. I think you are doing a disservice to say they are any luckier than any other side.

They are lucky I suppose, 1958 nearly ended United as an entity and a club altogether, so thank God it didn't, and I think as such, there's a spirit to the club that means they'll never quit because of that.

I mean, United were fortunate in that on the night Bayern had the better fof the game, but it was Bayerns goal that came from a deflection. United scored 2 good goals with no luck.

08 United were fortunate because John Terry hit the post, but they were also unlucky in that VDs slipped for the equlaiser.

Barca were lucky at Chelsea in 09 and Inter were VERY lucky in 2010 at the Camp Nou. Every team who has ever won a trophy has had an element of luck.

What a guy. If everyone thought like you my friend, there would be no trivial nonsense spoken, only facts, and respect.

Well said!

Home of Barca Fans