2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

desoe

Oh, why paying attention to this? Let everyone says what they want.

Some Barcelona fans would also say that we're going to beat them 4-0 as well. They would be idiots, too.

Unbiased United

Yeah, I understand that. But you see - as a cule, it's natural to me to always look for the most attacking option :D
But I understand completely why Park would be there, if he starts. I'm not underrating his role at all.

:D ...For the game of football, yeah I agree Nani would fit better, but against Barca I think we will need as much help going back as possible! :D

Holly shit, some United supporters are saying ManU can repeat AC Milan's 1994 performance.

No real fan would think, nevermind say this. On what grounds could their reasoning possibly be based on?

E

estranged

If Abidal can't make the final we could have problems in defence IMO. Adriano will recover in about 2 weeks time so he will be short of match fitness (I may be sounding like an asshole here but I wouldn't consider starting Maxwell in a UCL final). So if Abidal and Adriano are out it means Puyol at LB and Masch at CB, neither player is a natural in that position. Mascherano in particular worries me since he has a habit of sliding in and challenging for any 50/50 ball and that could be risky for a CB, He gave away a penalty with a lazy foul last week against Sociedad and also could have dealt with Di Maria better in the 2nd leg last week. Having said that Puyol at LB and Masch at CB worked against Real Madrid (be it over 2 legs) so we should be ok, just not my first choice preference for a final though...

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
No real fan would think, nevermind say this. On what grounds could their reasoning possibly be based on?

They consider Barça as the favourites.

But I agree with you, there is no reason to think about that. The situation is completely different. Barça had to fight for the league title until the last game and they go to the final just 4 days after winning the league. Milan won the Serie A some weeks ago and they prepared the game deeply. If Chelsea win next Saturday, the situation could be the opposite for ManU because Barça is +8 points heading the table and could be the winner this week.

Another important factor is Guardiola. He played that final and he knows very much what happens if the team believe the title is already won before playing the game.

Creepy

just 3 finals...3 finals where undefeated on route.
We're now the only team to reach 4 finals undefeated, and if we win will become the first team to win 3
European cups undefeated:

98-99 (11 games plus 2 in qualifying),
07-08, (13 games)
08-09, (12 games then lost the final)
10-11. (12 games so far...)

Milan only other team to have reached 3 finals undefeated;
88-89 (9 games),

92-93 (10 games then lost final),
93-94 (12 games)

Four teams have won the trophy and remained undefeated twice:
Milan 88-89, 83-84
Liverpool 80-81, 83-84
Ajax 71-72, 94-95
United 98-99, 07-08

When add that we've lost 1 Champions League away game in 4 years (Bayern Olic 90th min), We've lost 1 Champions League Home game in the last 5 years which was Besiktas 1-0 where we started with Foster, Neville, Rafael, Brown, Vidic, Anderson, Gibson, Park, Obertan, Welbeck, Macheda.

We've also in last 5 years broke numerous records:-

25 games longest undefeated run (07/08 opening game through to the 08/09 final), smashing the existing record by 5 games (Ajax)

hold record of longest away unbeaten run 16 games (07-08 thru to 2009/10 quarters)

hold the record of consecutive home wins in CL. 12 game (06/07 - 07/08, Drew first game of 08/09)

equalled record of fewest goals conceded in group stage (2010-2011) with 1- only team to play six consecutive away games in a single CL season without conceding a goal

Hold the record for longest run without conceding at start of campaign with 481 minutes (2010/11)

recorded largest margin of victory in knockout stage7-1 Roma (06-07), equaled by Bayern later in 08-09 against Sporting.

Last 5 years our records in Europe is:60 games, 40 wins*, 13 Draws, 7 losses, scored 100, conceded 43, 31 Clean Sheets*

if including 07-08 CL final pen shootout as victory.

4 of the 7 losses were in the first of those 5 years. Last 4 years just the Besiktas, Bayern and Barcelona defeats.

Barcelona in comparison 58 games, 33 wins, 18 draws, 7 losses, scored 111, conceded 43, 27 clean sheets.

One of the posters on RedCafe posted thes stats.

Thierry

..and don't forget "Shorti" with a new record of some 52 odd goals and lesser appearances in all competitions.:)

Creepy

I know Messi is out of this world. Officially United top the UEFA ranking list. It's nice to see. But I know that barca front 6 are better. So i'm not trying to say United must be a better team. It is a honour though to be amongst Milan and Ajax teams of the past.

Unbiased United

just 3 finals...3 finals where undefeated on route.
We're now the only team to reach 4 finals undefeated, and if we win will become the first team to win 3
European cups undefeated:

98-99 (11 games plus 2 in qualifying),
07-08, (13 games)
08-09, (12 games then lost the final)
10-11. (12 games so far...)

Milan only other team to have reached 3 finals undefeated;
88-89 (9 games),

92-93 (10 games then lost final),
93-94 (12 games)

Four teams have won the trophy and remained undefeated twice:
Milan 88-89, 83-84
Liverpool 80-81, 83-84
Ajax 71-72, 94-95
United 98-99, 07-08

When add that we've lost 1 Champions League away game in 4 years (Bayern Olic 90th min), We've lost 1 Champions League Home game in the last 5 years which was Besiktas 1-0 where we started with Foster, Neville, Rafael, Brown, Vidic, Anderson, Gibson, Park, Obertan, Welbeck, Macheda.

We've also in last 5 years broke numerous records:-

25 games longest undefeated run (07/08 opening game through to the 08/09 final), smashing the existing record by 5 games (Ajax)

hold record of longest away unbeaten run 16 games (07-08 thru to 2009/10 quarters)

hold the record of consecutive home wins in CL. 12 game (06/07 - 07/08, Drew first game of 08/09)

equalled record of fewest goals conceded in group stage (2010-2011) with 1- only team to play six consecutive away games in a single CL season without conceding a goal

Hold the record for longest run without conceding at start of campaign with 481 minutes (2010/11)

recorded largest margin of victory in knockout stage7-1 Roma (06-07), equaled by Bayern later in 08-09 against Sporting.

Last 5 years our records in Europe is:60 games, 40 wins*, 13 Draws, 7 losses, scored 100, conceded 43, 31 Clean Sheets*

if including 07-08 CL final pen shootout as victory.

4 of the 7 losses were in the first of those 5 years. Last 4 years just the Besiktas, Bayern and Barcelona defeats.

Barcelona in comparison 58 games, 33 wins, 18 draws, 7 losses, scored 111, conceded 43, 27 clean sheets.

One of the posters on RedCafe posted thes stats.

Very impressive. I can imagine the small minority of ignorant fans saying how easy its going to be for Barca, sat there reading those stats like this :O ... lol

P

PhilS

Just out of curiosity? Who would you identify as a weakness in your team? If any?

If Abidal gets back to top form, there are no weak links in the Barca top 11. Although Barca is nowhere near as deep as Man U, amazingly the flexibility of the very small squad has carried them all the way through the very heavy schedule.

Your coach is clearly better at rotating players and making subs. But the Man U style of play looks old-fashioned compared to Barca, La Liga is way ahead of the EPL in converting to the modern game. It takes incredible effort, quickness, endurance and athleticism to withstand the Barca pressure. Man U is in serious trouble.

Thierry

I can see the look on Puyol's face. Scrambling,twisting,swinging his mop-hair sideways trying to hold off Valencia.:lol:

But I suppose it should be easier knowing the RED winger operates the right-foot side of things only. ....or Maybe not.:)

Unbiased United

If Abidal gets back to top form, there are no weak links in the Barca top 11. Although Barca is nowhere near as deep as Man U, amazingly the flexibility of the very small squad has carried them all the way through the very heavy schedule.

Your coach is clearly better at rotating players and making subs. But the Man U style of play looks old-fashioned compared to Barca, La Liga is way ahead of the EPL in converting to the modern game. It takes incredible effort, quickness, endurance and athleticism to withstand the Barca pressure. Man U is in serious trouble.

I'd love to know how much of the PL you actually really watch to make that assumption. The Premier league and La liga are the top two leagues in the world, that is where modern football is played at its finest. If United play it, its modern football, end of story. Do you not realsie what fine tuned athletes this United team (along with all the top players in europe) are. Barca may well win but it won't be because they tire United out, that i can assure you.

http://firstain.com/index.php/2011/04/22/manchester-united-declared-worlds-most-valuable-team/
See this link, thats where modern football is at.

Creepy

How? We got the best defence in Europe. If anyone can cope with Barca, it's Manchester United.

Home of Barca Fans