2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

impeh

Hi, its me..
Has Messi-dependencia returned over the last few months?...We've seen Barca's scoring prowess muted & that MVP trident that was at one time firing on all cylinders out of form since perhaps January

How much of Barca's chances on Saturday will require Villa & Pedro taking their chances & getting involved early, rather than deferring to Leo over & over?

i agree with this

we need everyone to be on form, we cant expect messi to pop up and do what he did against madrid again.
need to score within the first 20 minutes or so imo, then be atleast 2 up with half an hour left, united have much better attack-minded subs than us.

i think they'll crowd the midfield out with rooney, so messi dropping back could be key.

also, sky sports expect abidal to be on the bench

Last edited:

Thierry

Has Messi-dependencia returned over the last few months?...We've seen Barca's scoring prowess muted & that MVP trident that was at one time firing on all cylinders out of form since perhaps January

How much of Barca's chances on Saturday will require Villa & Pedro taking their chances & getting involved early, rather than deferring to Leo over & over?

we should all admit Shorti has been frustrated mission out on last 2 matches, so whether how much of chances Villa & Pedro or not is up to them 3 really. It becomes a competition within a competition to who wants it more..but yes, even without deferring anything, Leo is likely to want to make it his own business even if not intended on the day. the little shorti sulker.. :lol:

Creepy

We should win it comfortably if we play to our standard. I could see us dominating the game just like in 2009.

Villa to score.

Having watched the whole mach again it could have went either way. I'm not saying Barca werent better because they were. Also, Barca hardly dominated... Considering the possession was 51% - 49% in Barcas favour.. That is all.

Galning

I just read somewhere that every player will get a bonus of €748.000 if we win. Personally I find this hard to believe. Does anybody have some more information or hear this somewhere else?

Creepy

Creppy was that the world cup final? Ohhh noo

No, It wasn't. Sven basically retired Paul Scholes, shifting him left. So, he retired at 28. Sven thought Lamps and Gerrard could do a better job but the truth is; Scholes is better than Lamps and Gerrard put together. I have no doubt had he played for For Spain they would have won the World Cup earlier. He's the best player to come out of England for pat 30 years. Fact! Also, considering the individual talent they had.

Edit: You could place Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta in England squad they'd still use Barry, Lampard and Gerrard over them. It's England! LOL

Last edited:

Unbiased United

Unbiased united. Xavi in is prime is better then scholes when he was in his prime. Scholes is stlil a awesome player but xavi will go down has one of the greatest midfielders ever in the game after winning everything in is career. Don't get why Scholes turned is back on is country. Good luck In the final ! U going to need it! I see a Barcelona masterclass on the cards! 2 weeks rest will do us well. Forget messi! Think the player u need to watch out for is iniesta

Xavi will go down as one of he greatest midfielders in history your right. But scholes has already gone down as one of he greatest. Don't take my word for it, see what his peers think. Xavi himself said the same thing. (well actually he said he is THE best) but there are too many great players in my opinion to single one out,he's certainly up there though.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Scholes was awesome. Xavi is more awesome.

Of course, if you want goals then take Scholes, but if you want someone to orchestrate the best passing team of all time, you take Xavi.

Cesc Pistol

Having watched the whole mach again it could have went either way. I'm not saying Barca werent better because they were. Also, Barca hardly dominated... Considering the possession was 51% - 49% in Barcas favour.. That is all.

The first 10-15 minutes ManU were completely dominant. After Etoo's goal not so much. Barca had far better chances and were much more dangerous throughout. Sure, ManU had possession as well but their attack wasn't that dangerous. i remember them trying to build attacks from the defense on many occasions but beung unable to get far.

I think Barca definitely dominated that match. Many reputed journalists agree and SAF said so as well not to mention hundreds of neutral and ManU fans. In the same way the possession argument is used against Barca, it doesn't always mean dominance or the lack of it.

Unbiased United

If Fletcher plays at 100% then our midfield can be much more effectively shut down. Carrick, Fletcher and Giggs with support from Rooney and Park is likely to shut down space centrally specially if they retreat to shut down the gaps between the lines.

However this leaves ManU with a limited offensive threat. If they can keep if goalless for an hour then their subs will be very difficult to manage. Chicharito and Nani reducing their strength and numbers in midfield but very deadly offensively. Nani putting pressure on Alves defensively and Rooney and Chicharito playing off each other with Valencia providing support, they can very much avoid the midfield altogether and play with a very wide gap between defense and offense.

As I see it fergie has a lot more variety and choice to set up his XI. If Park doesn't start as LW/LM United may be shifted more to the right to cover Alves which may in-turn cause the RB to be O'Shea. And then overall the Midfield will need much more help from the front six players, not to mention in which case our Left side, especially Villa will become vital.

All in all they will have their chances but I expect we will have more, making them count will be the key and why Chicharito is so dangerous. We have an edge but this untied team will fight to the end, they are more balanced -a strong defense and hard to defend against with pace, strength and creativity throughout the pitch. Make no mistake they are very, very good.

If we were playing them with the current teams in 09 I wouldn’t be worried at all. But now this CL win means alot, it is the piece that allows us to cement our place in history or be considered same as ManU in this period. A very good team but not the best ever. Results and titles make the legend and we have never needed one more than now. That’s why I’m really scared and I can’t think about anything else.

Nice write up.

I agree with everything you said, both United and Barca.

Creepy

Of course, if you want goals then take Scholes, but if you want someone to orchestrate the best passing team of all time, you take Xavi.

Mate, Scholes could do that just as well as Xavi. I mean, why would anyone claim Scholes is his idol without actually meaning it?

Is Xavi better than Scholes now? Yes!

Is Xavi better than Scholes ever was? I'm not so sure..

Unbiased United

I don't blame you for going with Xavi. He's world class and he plays for your team...fair enough. But Scholes main 'thing' has always been his passing, I have never seen better. But then I don't watch other players as much as I do United, so I'm not saying 'he's definately the best'. But he's definately amongst the best...as is Xavi.

Mate, Scholes could do that just as well as Xavi. I mean, why would anyone claim Scholes is his idol without actually meaning it?

very true.

Last edited:

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members

Scholes is a great passer, I would never question this, but IMO Xavi is a better passer.

England's greatest failure is not exploiting those with technical ability. Scholes was a waste for the national team, just like le Tissier, who won 8 caps!

Creepy

The first 10-15 minutes ManU were completely dominant. After Etoo's goal not so much. Barca had far better chances and were much more dangerous throughout. Sure, ManU had possession as well but their attack wasn't that dangerous. i remember them trying to build attacks from the defense on many occasions but beung unable to get far.

I think Barca definitely dominated that match. Many reputed journalists agree and SAF said so as well not to mention hundreds of neutral and ManU fans. In the same way the possession argument is used against Barca, it doesn't always mean dominance or the lack of it.

United weren't as bad as people made them out to be. To be honest, I don't read the paper analysis or media bull... (Apart from a couple of pundits) IMO, they form an opinion for you, hence, people thinking Barca dominated. Watch the whole game lads and girls, then come back and tell me Barca dominated throughout and United didn't have enough chances to score 2 or more goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWcD7NZv910&feature=related

If you follow back to part one, because I think it's part five!

LeTis won 8 caps because he was a lazy fucker.. LOL Not because he was wasted. He didn't have the balls to play at the highest level, IMO.

Home of Barca Fans