2022 Pre-Season - starts 4th July

Rassvet

Gotta love that insecurity here of people reaching to make big judgments about MLS based on one friendly involving one of the worst MLS teams.

Joan

Gotta love that insecurity here of people reaching to make big judgments about MLS based on one friendly involving one of the worst MLS teams.

Why would people be insecure about a league nobody even bothers to watch? The display was shocking though.

Jadentheman

Why would people be insecure about a league nobody even bothers to watch? The display was shocking though.

MLS is a domestic league. They don't really care about international audiences or Eurosnobs in the US. It's about growing the game in the US and improving the national team.

And viewership is improving domestically. MLS just landed a contract with Apple for rights to matches.

Rassvet

USA GDP 23 Trillion
Spain GDP 1.2 Trillion

Yeah good luck competing financially once soccer becomes popular enough in the US. Euro boys know it’s over once we take the sport seriously enough.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
USA GDP 23 Trillion
Spain GDP 1.2 Trillion

Yeah good luck competing financially once soccer becomes popular enough in the US. Euro boys know it?s over once we take the sport seriously enough.

It is not about the GDP here. The US will never be able to compete with Europe as long as there is far more money in American football, basketball, baseball, ice hockey etc. than soccer as the best American kids would pick those sports ahead of soccer.

jamrock

USA GDP 23 Trillion
Spain GDP 1.2 Trillion

Yeah good luck competing financially once soccer becomes popular enough in the US. Euro boys know it?s over once we take the sport seriously enough.

That will never happen though, for soccer to become even NHL levels is pushing it & even then the history of European Leagues will give them the edge.

Jadentheman

USA GDP 23 Trillion
Spain GDP 1.2 Trillion

The NFL worth more than La Liga and EPL. But Soccer will never be as big as American Football. Not in our lifetimes, at least. In another timeline for sure, I wish I was living in that one.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The NFL worth more than La Liga and EPL. But Soccer will never be as big as American Football. Not in our lifetimes, at least. In another timeline for sure, I wish I was living in that one.

This is what I am trying hard to understand. Obviously that sport is nowhere as popular as football/soccer in terms of the number of fans etc. in the world, for the most part it is a domestic US sport. Is it because of American purchasing power, that advertisers and sponsors pay far more than they pay European soccer clubs and TV contracts etc.? That the average American NFL viewer spends more than the average soccer fan in Europe and other countries?

Jadentheman

This is what I am trying hard to understand. Obviously that sport is nowhere as popular as football/soccer in terms of the number of fans etc. in the world, for the most part it is a domestic US sport. Is it because of American purchasing power, that advertisers and sponsors pay far more than they pay European soccer clubs and TV contracts etc.? That the average American NFL viewer spends more than the average soccer fan in Europe and other countries?

Yes. Mostly advertising, tv contracts and sponsors. The sport is huge. College football alone can sell out stands, hell high school can and both are like the equivalent of watching developmental academy players go at it.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yes. Mostly advertising, tv contracts and sponsors. The sport is huge. College football alone can sell out stands, hell high school can and both are like the equivalent of watching developmental academy players go at it.

Oh yeah, I forgot college football. American collegiate sports are definitely the most expansive and developed in the world.

Jadentheman

Just curious as I do not follow MLS. What are the good teams in MLS?
[MENTION=29773]Rassvet[/MENTION]

For international peeps like you I suggest watching teams like LAFC, La Galaxy, NY Red Bulls, Orlando SC, Seattle Sounders and Atlanta United. I not sure how good Atlanta is this year, though.

EDIT: I forgot Vancouver and Montreal

Home of Barca Fans