2024/25 Preseason

Loki

Nice waking up to the news of our boys winning against City. :)

A bit worried about Faye not featuring though
They lost all their pre-season matches so far. But it was a good display from barca, as it was our first game under Flick, while City had some games already.

companyofcules

Fort still looking a better LB than RB for whatever reason. But then it's not easy having to play against a grouchy Grealish suffering from alcohol withdrawal.
Fort is LB you need 2 games to see it. Saw him vs Bilbao as lb and agaist some la liga fodder as RB. There is no reason to play him RB.

companyofcules

Good game for a friendly missing so many top players.

A motivated Grealish could have a very good season for Man City. I still think he's somewhat under-rated. But people are generally obsessed with goal ratios.
If grelish looked good with us that might be an alarm bell

companyofcules

I expect the game with Franco Madrid for an opinion on the worth of this B team and Flick's work. That game should have the intensity and quality to draw a conclusion.

Messi983

Darvich looks like a low IQ player

Why? Didn't see any bad decisions from him. Maybe hold onto the ball bit too much once or twice but that's normal with young players.

Also had a good breakthrough pass to put Lewy 1 on 1 with a goalie and another one that was intercepted. Clearly has good vision and has also improved (or become more comfortable) playing deeper since his first games at Barca B although I think he'll mostly play as AMC if given first team minutes. No idea how new Barca Atletic coach will use him but hopefully he'll get enough minutes there to develop.

Porque

I think if Barcelona Athletic can work closely with Flick for the tecnical setup, that the best for Darvich would be cementing himself as the AMC for the B this season.

Guille/Unai on the left of that perhaps with Toni/Dani R/Juan H on the right.

Every year the B team has so much exits with promotions and players leaving. And yet, every year the talent level there is unreal.

Gnidrologist

Liked the straight forward approach by the team. They wanted to score goals, not having possession. Hopefully Flick tries to implement the same general attitude and tactics into first team too and this is not just a display of youthful enthusiasm.

JamDav1982

I think if Barcelona Athletic can work closely with Flick for the tecnical setup, that the best for Darvich would be cementing himself as the AMC for the B this season.

Guille/Unai on the left of that perhaps with Toni/Dani R/Juan H on the right.

Every year the B team has so much exits with promotions and players leaving. And yet, every year the talent level there is unreal.

Unai needs to go away on loan to try and prove himself at better level.

At his age if has anything about him to be a decent player cant be season after season at that level.

gregorrin10

Fort is LB you need 2 games to see it. Saw him vs Bilbao as lb and agaist some la liga fodder as RB. There is no reason to play him RB.
Especially when we also have Araujo for RB anyway, who I really like and hope he gets to stay too. Araujo and Fort - the perfect backups to Kounde and Balde. Even more so because they're both similar to their starter competitors, a highly capable defensive RB and a bit more adventurous LB, who can contribute more in the final third, mainly with good overlapping runs and hopefully some assists too.

Loan Valle again, but this time to a mid-table La Liga team, and hope for another good one turn out like it did with Levante. Same with Torre. They're both in that 'perfect to loan' status, when they might not be ready for Barca (yet), but a good loan could also work wonders.

JamDav1982

If Nico was signed then believe Balde would have been more of a defensive LB and tuck in to a three for his pace with Nico holding width... Faye could be the back up there potentially in that LB/CB defensive role.

On the other side Cancelo signed to play attacking RB to allow Yamal/Raphinha to come narrower as suits them to do when in possession.

How was it to be funded? Araujo to be sold and Kounde in as RCB which would be a three and RCB when Cancelo pushes on.

Their plans have been hammered by Aruajo injury and Nico refusing to move and they are now panicking with only Olmo on the table and not the same profile.

jamrock

Flick will use balde, like he used Davies and pep used Walker, as recovery defenders, they will push high and get into the box, and also get back and defend, because they have the pace to get back in time.

Having Balde with all that pace as defensive LB, would be a complete waste, TBH.

JamDav1982

Flick will use balde, like he used Davies and pep used Walker, as recovery defenders, they will push high and get into the box, and also get back and defend, because they have the pace to get back in time.

Having Balde with all that pace as defensive LB, would be a complete waste, TBH.

Balde with that pace would be huge asset defensively particularly when coming up against likes of Real and their frontline.

He most likely will have to play him pushing on next season as have no LW.

By what he he shown so far he lacks the quality to be much of a threat out there and that is with teams often leaving him open.

Davies was a winger before Bayern and not far off a winger for them a lot of the time.

Balde is a far better defender than him and not close to him going forward.

Unless he improves as still young.

jamrock

He definitely needs to improve in the final 3rd I agree, but that will come, I think balde is one player flick could potentially massively improve, he's a Davies regen if their ever was one.

Against the top teams I agree, he will stay back more for sure, and pick his time to get forward but that's just the tactical smart thing to do

Kounde-- Araujo--christ--balde

should be the back 4 for any serious game, also I agree Araujo getting injured screwed their plans to sell a first teamer because he was likely on their list, though I wouldn't agree with it, I'd understand the move.

JamDav1982

He definitely needs to improve in the final 3rd I agree, but that will come, I think balde is one player flick could potentially massively improve, he's a Davies regen if their ever was one.

Against the top teams I agree, he will stay back more for sure, and pick his time to get forward but that's just the tactical smart thing to do

Kounde-- Araujo--christ--balde

should be the back 4 for any serious game, also I agree Araujo getting injured screwed their plans to sell a first teamer because he was likely on their list, though I wouldn't agree with it, I'd understand the move.

Of the defenders at club currently that has to be the starting 4 but I think will be same issue with Kounde v the better wingers in that set up and not sure he can compliment Yamal to drift central enough. Which is why I think they have looked at options there.

Last season Xavi tried it all.. Araujo RB.. Kounde RB.. against PSG he gave up midfield almost to double up with Kounde on Mbappe etc and it workd to an extent but was hard watch and very 'un Barca' like way to approach the game.

Nico being signed would have opened up so many options tacitcally.

Barca can still beat top teams but they will absolutely have to keep the ball better than likes of Real and dictate or will get killed again in open game end to end.

Of the players both have would fancy Barca to keep it better but Real almost at their most dangerous when other team have ball.

Home of Barca Fans