23 - Jules Kounde

Porque

We basically matched his Bilbao wage. You could argue that at 32 we shouldn't really be doing that.

But then two factors I guess

1) It was Xavi first choice (we had reportedly secured Ndicka which seems reliable as same reports come the year before regarding Christensen and Kessie).

2) The Saudi factor might have skewed the wage offer if a deal wasn't brokered before it's breakthrough.

I think we overpayed for both he and Gundagon. Wouldn't be much of an issue though really if we were Real Madrid and had positive wage cap though since both are on short term contracts.

But when we're struggling again till the last second to register the Joao's and have to sign Romeu to replace Busquests in the 11 then it has to be scrutinised.

Windhook

32 is not veteran age, though. Used to be. Hurts just to think about the decline of players like Maradona, Stoichkov or Ronaldinho at age 32.

JamDav1982

Paying 9m a season for Inigo in isolation is not that bad but when squad planning means paying large salaries to 4 CBs and then cant spend on a DM.

Still seems like they are all in on Zubimendi in summer and maybe thats why didnt spend but surely then look at a young DM to tide over etc.

27m on salaries to Gundo/Inigo and then Roque in also all while have Romeu at DM needs to be better planned for.

Inigos passing over distance is a reminder of what Barca used to have in likes of Marquez and Masch and to some extent Pique.

Marquez is best passer of ball ever seen from a CB.

Windhook

Marquez and Mascherano both could play DM position, so I was most impressed by Pique's passing.

Johan Cruyff introduced this long range passing CB role and Ronald Koeman was the prophet of long range game. One of the best passers in football. Hristo Stoichkov is clear about it, forever greatful to the man for numerous assists. The duo needed just a little space left behind defenders to execute the play.

Nello

According to Jammy's favourite source, the verified wages of our CBs are as follows.

Kounde - 13.55m (4 years remaining)
Inigo - 9.38m (2 years remaining)
Christensen - 9m ( 3 years remaining)
Araujo - 7m (3 years remaining)

Yeah, order should have been the other way around basically.
Koundé is not worth an extra 50% in wages compared to Inigo and Christensen. Especially not with our current salary cap issues.

Don't think he´d be missed if we sold him.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Wonder who realistically will be interested in Kounde, for the price we are looking for and wage that needs to be atleast matched.

Christensen is a much easier sale to broker.

I don't think it's coincidence that he has lost his position.
I don't think Kounde will be hard too sell if he himself is ok with leaving...

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Marquez and Mascherano both could play DM position, so I was most impressed by Pique's passing.

Johan Cruyff introduced this long range passing CB role and Ronald Koeman was the prophet of long range game. One of the best passers in football. Hristo Stoichkov is clear about it, forever greatful to the man for numerous assists. The duo needed just a little space left behind defenders to execute the play.

Koeman was something else. Not to forget the fact he scored more than 100 goals for Barca.
Came back here in our worst time in history (apart from Spanish civil war) and was treated badly by new Laporta board.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

Christensen is better then Kounde but not by much. I wouldn't be fussed if we sold both.

Sell both and put in a big fat bid for Romero. Romero and Araujo partnership, the best 2 centre backs in the world. Imagine as a striker trying to play against those two animals.

Windhook

Great defenders are rare, they don't grow on trees at every club like wingers and GKs do.

Barca should reward Araujo with a better contract, regardless his contract runs out in 2-3 years time. Having inferior CBs getting more money than arguably the best defender (and I bet Ronald is aware of that) on the squad is a calm before the storm. The guy, loyal or whatever, could opt-out in 2026 to leave as free agent and get a deal, twice the salary in EPL.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Raphinha adds a lot of energy oh that side as well and helps defensively.
Yeah, keep him for a RB option. Never again as CB.

mc_lovin

If he's not playing RB he's a starter at CB. Araujo, Cancelo and him will play on the right depending on needs. Christensen fairly in 2nd row this season.

JamDav1982

If he's not playing RB he's a starter at CB. Araujo, Cancelo and him will play on the right depending on needs. Christensen fairly in 2nd row this season.

No he isnt...

Move on.

Araujo and Kounde at LCB never looks great.

As predicted he is RB today when mouthing off about him being a starter at CB.

Home of Barca Fans