24 - Eric García

TheStig

Would love to see him at DM but it's probably too late to adopt to the positional game of a true DM. Would fit him more.

mc_lovin

He's not one of the centre-backs I can picture at DM. Last thing I would think of.

But honestly a lot of overreactions here. I do think we should go for a world class CB when we have the funds (but DM and RW are probably more important right now), but generally we should look at Enrique's blueprint, who used him pretty cleverly. Garcia against slower and more tactical teams, Araujo against more physical teams (with the latter probably being first choice if has a breakout season this year).

Messi983

He's not one of the centre-backs I can picture at DM. Last thing I would think of.

But honestly a lot of overreactions here. I do think we should go for a world class CB when we have the funds (but DM and RW are probably more important right now), but generally we should look at Enrique's blueprint, who used him pretty cleverly. Garcia against slower and more tactical teams, Araujo against more physical teams (with the latter probably being first choice if has a breakout season this year).

Agreed. Hugo Guillamon who is of similar statue to Garcia is doing quite well for Valencia as a DM though. But sure, playing as a DM in Bordalas's system is different than doing it at Barca.

Still think we should have a bit more patience with Eric and think he'll turn out a good enough CB for most La Liga games but ultimately if he stays for more than a season or two would be as a cheap 3rd/4th CB. As said before he signed with us I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be a starter for a team trying to be competitive in Europe (which we all know we're not at the moment) or against top La Liga teams (we'll see how he'll do against Atleti) though. But in this rebuilding team/year I still prefer to play him over Pique.

mc_lovin

Can we try Umtiti CDM for one game?

I am no coach but the position seems to fit his playstyle

Usually I would say that you can't play first division football when you can't sprint anymore, but then again it's working pretty well for Busquets. I would really like to see a race between the two, I am not sure Busquets would lose, and why play Umtiti out of position when you have a DM with the same issues, but more quality.

Messigician

Usually I would say that you can't play first division football when you can't sprint anymore, but then again it's working pretty well for Busquets. I would really like to see a race between the two, I am not sure Busquets would lose, and why play Umtiti out of position when you have a DM with the same issues, but more quality.

Umtiti is faster and more aggressive closing down

Messi983

He WAS faster three years ago, not so sure if he really is rn.

Yeah, I hate seeing Busi as a starting DM but Umtiti is clearly not a solution.

MTL_Barca

I don't see whats so bad about his transfer, former la masia player who got minutes at ManCity and plays for Spain. Most clubs would at least think about a former academy player like him on a free transfer, not much to lose there. If he fails he fails, who cares just sell him after a season or two.

The real problem is that Umtiti is fucked, yet still here earning a fortune even 3 years after the world cup that basically ended his career and 36M transfer Lenglet somehow being so bad that he fell behind the youngsters in the packing order. So that leaves us with 34 year old washed up Pique and the kids.

If Umtiti still had kness or we actually managed to buy a good CB in the meantime then Garcia as #4 or something wouldn't matter that much. We also meme about Braithwaite and Luuk de Jong and yeah they are shit as well, but also just tiny pieces compared to the colossal fuck ups Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann that costed the club 400M.

Some players will fail, but what brought us in this situation is that pretty much no bigger transfer in recent years lead to a long-term starter. It's honestly incredible to fail that hard, almost impossible but they somehow pulled it off.

Last edited:

vegitot

2 red cards in just 6 games are pretty great. Not many defenders can do it. And he is sent off by same scenario twice (bad position and too weak). Impressive if you ask me.

mc_lovin

Either way it's always good to have more information about a player :) In no way I have formed my opinion about Garcia at this point in time.

Home of Barca Fans