24 - Eric García

Blinkfloyd

Probably can work in a double pivot with FDJ. The way he is right now.
If he beats himself into shape then we can maybe consider him to be good.

mc_lovin

I don't see any midfield qualities in him, but I guess there's no harm in trying.

On a sidenote: I would love for us to blow our transfer budget on Tchouameni, he's the wet dream at DM (also for literally any other fanbase out there :p).

Horatio

You're welcome
I don't see any midfield qualities in him, but I guess there's no harm in trying.

On a sidenote: I would love for us to blow our transfer budget on Tchouameni, he's the wet dream at DM (also for literally any other fanbase out there :p).

I have same attitude towards this

JamDav1982

No DM of that quality will sign for Barca.

Busi is years away from giving up his spot. There are a few turtle European thrashing in him yet.

The French lad wants Real by all accounts and if not them probably PSG throwing money.

Iniesta Ultra

I'm a Busi supporter but I can't see him starting for more than one more season. His physicality doesn't look as enduring as say Fernandhino.

JamDav1982

I'm a Busi supporter but I can't see him starting for more than one more season. His physicality doesn't look as enduring as say Fernandhino.

Xavi loves him and thinks still best DM going.

Can do no wrong and when is shite and being pulled all over park leaving gaps it is others in teams fault for leaving him exposed.

Only way see Busquets not being a starter in two years time is if he himself decides time is up and thinks criticism is unfair.

khaled_a_d

Except for Barca fans, Tchou won't fit our single pivot approach at all. Maybe if FDJ & Pedri develop massively.
Still better than Busquets starting, but Tchouameni at Barca would be FDJ volume 2

Andresito

Staff member
Already said it before, playing CDM isn't the same as playing CB when it comes to ball playing abilities.

CB's always face the pitch when they have the ball, while CDM's, especially at Barca, play a lot with their backs turned under a lot of pressure.

It doesn't matter that Eric Garcia might be one of the best CB's on the ball, CDM is an unnatural position for him, just like it was for Pepe and Ramos.
Marquinhos is the one exception who did fine, but he returned to CB soon either way. I guess it doesn't hurt to try Eric there, but I'm skeptical if it's going to work out. He'll need a lot of time to acclimate.

Porque

In Xavi time we had Marquez switched to DMC, and Mascherano to DC. I won't mention Edmilson because I believe he was playing both previous to Barcelona.

Not absurd to try in training. It is probably just a matter of depth and not a long term option with Pedri out, and no trust in Puig and diminishing in Nico (and certainly at DMC).

I wouldn't look too deeply into it, if fit I am sure Sergi Roberto would slot in there anyways. But I'm open to being surprised.

Don't forget Alvaro Sanz too.

mc_lovin

Except for Barca fans, Tchou won't fit our single pivot approach at all. Maybe if FDJ & Pedri develop massively.
Still better than Busquets starting, but Tchouameni at Barca would be FDJ volume 2

Disagree about that, he's one of the very few players I could imagine at DM for us. He has the same imposing presence Busquets has/had (for a lack of a better description)... unlike Frenkie, who has no real presence in front of the defence. If we had two physical/fast CB's I wouldn't rule out Frenkie in a classic Barca DM (falling between the CB's)/libero role though - he was fantastic there vs PSG, probably the best he has played for us. Problem is the 2nd CM then.

About CB's at DM... it can work with mobile guys like Mascherano/Marquinhos ... but Garcia is quite stiff.

Laplacian

Ah yes, the "extremely talented player we have no chance of getting so we have to rationalize it by saying he wouldn't fit us because that way we won't have our egos bruised" tactic is now being used on Tchouameni.

Tchouameni is quick for a midfielder, super tall, technical, great at tackling, great at defense and able to ping balls from deep like Pogba. And yet he wouldn't fit us because......

Barcelona is a super special club and only super special players can "fit" in it. That's why Haaland wouldn't fit with us either, we're too special. FDJ number 2 even though hes nothing like FDJ lol.

Remember, only slow and geriatric players are a perfect fit for Barcelona.

khaled_a_d

Disagree about that, he's one of the very few players I could imagine at DM for us. He has the same imposing presence Busquets has/had (for a lack of a better description)... unlike Frenkie, who has no real presence in front of the defence. If we had two physical/fast CB's I wouldn't rule out Frenkie in a classic Barca DM (falling between the CB's)/libero role though - he was fantastic there vs PSG, probably the best he has played for us. Problem is the 2nd CM then.

About CB's at DM... it can work with mobile guys like Mascherano/Marquinhos ... but Garcia is quite stiff.

Tchoumeni doesn't connect defense to midfield which is huge requirement for a CDM in a single pivot.
He has defensive abilities, although still not perfect, but on the ball he won't do something that is essential for single pivot system. It shows in both eye test and states btw
What makes things tougher is lack of CM that can do that part, FDJ isn't the guy, and Pedri can be but he is more advanced player, so it will be tough for a DM of that category to help midfield. When we had Xavi, Iniesta & Deco, a Marquez or Edmilson are fine, when you have a Modric and Kroos, a Casamero is fine.
He will be upgrade over ancient Busquets, just like Frenkie is an upgrade over old Rakitic, but it will be same story.
For the price and hype,he will always leaves us wanting more, and not feel he is long term answer.

Edit: as for Eric, I am not sure he is more stiff than Edmilson, it os something that is worth a shot on training but but going by Xavi shutting it down, doesn't seem it was success lol

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans