24 - Eric García

fergus90

He is a prospect, nothing more. He is valued at 20 million on transfermarkt. Seems like a fine deal. Especially when it's LaMasia kid for 5mil. Not sure how anyone can hate this move? It has some upside and its a local kid.

Sounds great to me, but you have to see what it is. He is coming here for a bit of playing time, not to start games.

Who hates it? Just think it's not going to make any noticeable improvement to the backline whatsoever based on what we currently have.

The fact he is from La Masia and is 5 mill because he's out of contract next season is why he's being signed, without the La Masia connection he wouldn't be of interest.

FinBarcelonafan

Who hates it? Just think it's not going to make any noticeable improvement to the backline whatsoever based on what we currently have.

The fact he is from La Masia and is 5 mill because he's out of contract next season is why he's being signed, without the La Masia connection he wouldn't be of interest.

It's a depth move. Lenglet and Umtiti should be leaving Barca soon.

xXKonan

I'm willing to give him a chance but I'm not expecting him to pull up trees though.

Araujo and Mingueza are both taller and more athletic than he is. He would need to bring a lot more to the table to convince me he's really any better and those two.

soul24rage

We're going to have an overload of CB

Pique, Lenglet, Umtiti, Araujo, Mingueza and now probably Garcia.

If Pique suddenly decides to retire and we sell/loan out Umtiti, then I would bring Garcia for free this summer.

malvolio

We're going to have an overload of CB

Pique, Lenglet, Umtiti, Araujo, Mingueza and now probably Garcia.

If Pique suddenly decides to retire and we sell/loan out Umtiti, then I would bring Garcia for free this summer.

araujo and mingueza are only auditioning due to current situation. only one of them will make our bench probably.

don't think we'll sell lenglet as he can be kept as rotation/bench role. or garcia might replace him and we get some money for the frenchman.

umtiti should be sold as he is damaged goods. pique might retire.

so we need at least 1 starter(star) CB to be bought in the summer.

soul24rage

araujo and mingueza are only auditioning due to current situation. only one of them will make our bench probably.

don't think we'll sell lenglet as he can be kept as rotation/bench role. or garcia might replace him and we get some money for the frenchman.

umtiti should be sold as he is damaged goods. pique might retire.

so we need at least 1 starter(star) CB to be bought in the summer.

I think both Araujo and Mingueza are good enough for at least the bench currently.

Don't think we'll sell Lenglet either.

Umtiti should be sold, but his wages scare off suitors, so a loan is probably the most realistic option.

I would love to get someone like Kounde but we are so broke right now so we can't buy any star CB.

Messi983

Well, he's 100% coming either now or in July so I'll give him a chance and hope for the best. And I'm also pretty sure he'll be our only CB signing as much as I'd like to get someone like Upamecano or Kounde (we can only hope Sevilla will hold onto him for another season so we can maybe get him in 2022 but that's unlikely).

Araujo should be unquestonable starter next season as he's our only fast CB. Then rotate Pique, Lenglet and Garcia alongside him.

IIRC Pique's contract will be automatically extended if he'll play more than 35% of the games (don't know if he has to start or play certain amount of minutes in those games though) so I'd look out for him not reaching that mark. Although tbh I think if he'll see he's not a starter anymore he'll probably retire/decide to leave for MLS alone after next season even if he'd met requirements for his contract to be extended.

I'd send Mingueza on loan to play regularly unless we get a 40m+ offer for Lenglet or Pique retires (which I think it's both unlikely) then I'd keep Mingueza as a 4th CB. But tbf I'd be quite scared going into the season with Pique/Lenglet and three relatively still unproven youngsters in Araujo, Mingueza and Garcia who have a combined less than 30 starts in La Liga/EPL so far in their careers. Surely they'll get a bit more experience before the season end but it's still risky imo.

OTOH La Liga is almost surely lost already but if we can continue to string together wins over the next two months or so we should guarantee a top 4 relatively easy and I don't expect us to go far in the CL so IF Garcia comes this month we'll have time to evaluate him in a relatively low pressure environment (as much as that's a thing at Barca) for the rest of this season.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
We are looking good for next season. All we really need is a midfield bulldog and a CF (If Messi leaves).

Birdy

Wrong, wrong, wrong again!
Transferring in a CB just because he is a 'home guy', with all his qualities being already covered by the existing CBs, and honestly in much better versions,
while he provides nothing on the CB qualities we are lacking.

Terrible planning, even though he is gone, this is a Bartomeu signing 100%

JamDav1982

Wrong, wrong, wrong again!
Transferring in a CB just because he is a 'home guy', with all his qualities being already covered by the existing CBs, and honestly in much better versions,
while he provides nothing on the CB qualities we are lacking.

Terrible planning, even though he is gone, this is a Bartomeu signing 100%

Not if signing Garcia allows Barca to then sell likes of Lenglet.

I would rather go for Garcia and try to develop him than not sign him due to Lenglet/Umtiti.

Pique is getting old, Umtiti is done, Lenglet has been awful this year.

Plenty of reasons to reinforce that position if opportunity arises.

Andresito

Staff member
Man I hope he proves everyone wrong. This is no brainer transfer with our current economy and situation.

Unless he's forced into early retirement we'll either get:
1. A player we can use, either as a starter or as backup
2. Some profit (we got around 12m for Bartra in comparison)

Raketa10

Man I hope he proves everyone wrong. This is no brainer transfer with our current economy and situation.

Unless he's forced into early retirement we'll either get:
1. A player we can use, either as a starter or as backup
2. Some profit (we got around 12m for Bartra in comparison)

+1

Home of Barca Fans