24 - Eric García

kattanib

Why would anyone want a primarily positional CB as RB? Makes zero sense. Even in a back three Garcia is a terrible fit as RCB - I think Jordi Cruyff explained the need for aggressive and fast wide CBs in his fathers dream team for example.

And we are getting Emerson.
Puyol played at the RB position at times

Bobo32

Puyol was very fast and aggressive though, would be a perfect RCB

Things change, what Jordi says about a team of the 90s is not absolute fact about the realities today.
But of course a wide CB in a back three will be expected to press quite a bit - does Lenglet, Umtiti, or even Mingueza or Araujo do that?

Johann Cruyff said: "Speed is often confused with insight. When I start running earlier than the others, I appear faster"

mc_lovin

Puyol played at the RB position at times

Wasnt great though. And a completely different player type than Garcia (not a positional CB, he defended with aggressiveness and speed). Emerson as a defensive option (or starter) at RB will be fine and a lot more reasonable.

Puyol was very fast and aggressive though, would be a perfect RCB

Things change, what Jordi says about a team of the 90s is not absolute fact about the realities today.
But of course a wide CB in a back three will be expected to press quite a bit - does Lenglet, Umtiti, or even Mingueza or Araujo do that?

Johann Cruyff said: "Speed is often confused with insight. When I start running earlier than the others, I appear faster"

Think they are all quite terrible there with the exception of Mingueza, who is tailor made for that role (but lacks talent).

Bobo32

Wasnt great though. And a completely different player type than Garcia (not a positional CB, he defended with aggressiveness and speed). Emerson as a defensive option (or starter) at RB will be fine and a lot more reasonable.

I have a very blurry image of Emerson, but what I gathered, mostly from stats, is that he will be a very suspect player both offensively and defensively, playing with a lot of risk, relying on pace and physique. That's the exact opposite of what I want more of, but if the rest of the team is built as I want, maybe that can compensate for his weaknesses...

I think Puyol was a very nice RB, he was surprisingly good offensively there, though he looked very strange trying to dribble etc.

mc_lovin

I have a very blurry image of Emerson, but what I gathered, mostly from stats, is that he will be a very suspect player both offensively and defensively, playing with a lot of risk, relying on pace and physique. That's the exact opposite of what I want more of, but if the rest of the team is built as I want, maybe that can compensate for his weaknesses...

I think Puyol was a very nice RB, he was surprisingly good offensively there, though he looked very strange trying to dribble etc.

My problem with your vision is that its nearly impossible to implement. In an ideal world their would be no need for tackles, defensive actions and so on. But players will make mistake, there is no perfection. Hence the need for "rougher" players like Emerson, Araujo etc pp. Even at our absolute best we needed Masherano to save our asses from time to time.

Emerson is actually quite good at receiving passes (making himself available) and running into space by the way.

Bobo32

My problem with your vision is that its nearly impossible to implement. In an ideal world their would be no need for tackles, defensive actions and so on. But players will make mistake, there is no perfection. Hence the need for "rougher" players like Emerson, Araujo etc pp. Even at our absolute best we needed Masherano to save our asses from time to time.

Emerson is actually quite good at receiving passes (making himself available) and running into space by the way.

I can't argue about Emerson, perhaps you are right.

I agree with the rest of what you write here though, some spark is needed sometimes, like what Puyol added defensively and Eto'o or Messi offensively (or Jeffren). And Mascherano yes! Keita and Fabregas from the midfield. It's balance work.
I think the team should strive for perfection, and by just doing that, there will be a good ground to build from. Sometimes Barcelona had that great ground under Tata for example, and only needed a little bit of a spark to become great again, but they went too far, and now they are a bit lost.

xXKonan

Garcia is too slow and not athletic enough to play as an RB.

When he played there for City he got rinsed way too easily.

Home of Barca Fans