25 - Wojciech Szczęsny

TemporaryFan

About his being allowed to play in CL...

"According to Marca, Szczesny will be eligible to play in the Champions League as soon as the club confirms his signing. If an A-list player suffers a long-term injury, UEFA rules allow for the registration of a substitute; this applies to Ter Stegen’s situation. As such, Barcelona will have no issues incorporating Szczesny into their squad for European competition; giving him an immediate chance to make an impact in the tournament."

TemporaryFan

BTW...wasn't there a similar case at Bayern last year, when Neuer, after breaking his leg, got replaced by Yann Sommer?

Messi983

Article 31.14

If a club cannot count on the services of at least two goalkeepers registered on List A because of long-term injury or illness, the club concerned may temporarily replace the goalkeeper concerned and register a new goalkeeper at any time during the season and complete the official registration of List A with a goalkeeper fit to be fielded. An injury or illness is considered long-term if it lasts at least 30 days as of the day the injury or illness occurred. If the goalkeeper recovers before the end of this 30-day period, the player must nonetheless remain off List A until the end of such period. The new goalkeeper does not have to be locally trained, even if the replaced goalkeeper was. The club must provide UEFA with the necessary medical evidence in one of UEFA's official languages. UEFA may require further medical examination of the goalkeeper by an expert appointed by UEFA at the club's expense. Once the injured or ill goalkeeper is fit to be fielded again, he can resume his position in place of his substitute. The return of the original goalkeeper must be announced to the UEFA administration 24 hours before the next match in which the original goalkeeper is due to play.

Andresito

Staff member
Yes it was posted here before and I think we all agreed he'll be able to play.

But it's a bit weird there hasn't been any news regarding this. La Liga were quick to add him but still unsure regarding UEFA. They better make it official next week.

Messi983

I think deadline is a day before the Bayern game so we're not really in a hurry and there shouldn't be any problems with his registration unlike registering players under La Liga salary cap rules.

pers

I wonder if he will even be consider as starter for Real and Bayern. If he won't play against Sevilla it would be crazy to start him against such teams without any proper match as worm up.

Andresito

Staff member
I wonder if he will even be consider as starter for Real and Bayern. If he won't play against Sevilla it would be crazy to start him against such teams without any proper match as worm up.
Flick can't be that stupid. It should be the staff's biggest priority these 2 weeks to get him fit and ready for Sevilla.

Besides, a recently retired top GK is surely better than Iñaki, no matter how many cigarettes he's smoked since last touching a ball.

pers

Flick can't be that stupid. It should be the staff's biggest priority these 2 weeks to get him fit and ready for Sevilla.

Besides, a recently retired top GK is surely better than Iñaki, no matter how many cigarettes he's smoked since last touching a ball.
I hope so. Physically he looks better than before retirement. I wonder if playing golf can have such great impact on your physical appearance.

TemporaryFan

I am not worried about Szczęsny availability for any competition. He'll be able to play.
I am more worried about the expectations of him. For sure, he is not Neuer to be that level of a keeper sweeper.

Shot stopping, aerial battles, overall command on the defensive line is excellent but his combination play in a limited space while pressed is definitely lacking. Now, if that's the critical element in Flick's game, there could be some disappointment... but hope I am wrong.
Nonetheless, he is an upgrade to Pena, who was quite shaky in the last game.

Porque

I reckon that if Szczesny replaces Pena then they will only do it for one tournament until winter market.

Szczesny takes over immediately in the league with Pena given carte blanche to fuck it up in Europe. Atleast until January that is, where Shezzy takes over both and Pena is left to solely fuck up in Copa.

Andresito

Staff member
I reckon that if Szczesny replaces Pena then they will only do it for one tournament until winter market.

Szczesny takes over immediately in the league with Pena given carte blanche to fuck it up in Europe. Atleast until January that is, where Shezzy takes over both and Pena is left to solely fuck up in Copa.
How so? Out of respect for Pena from the club's side?

I'd understand it if he was a couple levels better but the guy is the worst starting GK in the league by far. If we want to have a chance for trophies Flick needs to be ruthless and play the best GK.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

Nah, Szczesny plays against Sevilla and than the rest of ALL games beside Copa until Stegen is back or we sign another keeper. You did see wtf Pena was up to against Alaves? That was a fucking clown show...

Home of Barca Fans