3 - Alejandro Balde

Porque

I don't buy into hype rn. His potential is obvious but he lacks at both ends of the pitch. His delivery is poor, plenty of work on his crossing and passing and he just isn't a presence at the back. I don't recall seeing him defend properly. Makes great runs, pacy and mobile. Like him and see potential but I have my doubts he's the answer.

Wait and see I guess. Think it's a matter of weeks before Alba takes over if we don't bring a LB.

Absolutely, and/but he has been as ready at this level for 2 years already. At some point we have to give him a solid season because (keep saying this) he is physically built and stylistically plays for our type of football more than any other fullback that has come out of LaMasia since... Alba.

We run the risk, and I fully expect that a great right winger on his day would torment Balde but he has enough pace and dribbling to give anyone second thoughts if we can transition quickly. Just has to become much better in the final third which can happen when he has the confidence, as we now have the attacking quality.

Basically one of these like Fati, Gavi that have long surpassed the B level and you won't see their best level there.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't buy into hype rn. His potential is obvious but he lacks at both ends of the pitch. His delivery is poor, plenty of work on his crossing and passing and he just isn't a presence at the back. I don't recall seeing him defend properly. Makes great runs, pacy and mobile. Like him and see potential but I have my doubts he's the answer.

Wait and see I guess. Think it's a matter of weeks before Alba takes over if we don't bring a LB.

Have to agree I haven't seen anything special either. He is still very young though and only started his first team career so I am a cautiously optimistic.

Porque

Have to agree I haven't seen anything special either. He is still very young though and only started his first team career so I am a cautiously optimistic.

He isn't showing anything special but neither is Cucurella really outside of his intense effort to get up and down the flank like a modern Puyol.

But all he needs to show is a similar intensity with the technical nuance of being a Barca fullback and the understanding to be in the right position defensively to use his pace, and offensively to make the correct decisions to overload the attack and find solutions in the box.

I think he can do it.

Joan

He isn't showing anything special but neither is Cucurella really outside of his intense effort to get up and down the flank like a modern Puyol.

But all he needs to show is a similar intensity with the technical nuance of being a Barca fullback and the understanding to be in the right position defensively to use his pace, and offensively to make the correct decisions to overload the attack and find solutions in the box.

I think he can do it.

Weak era for FBs. Sort of.

But yeah, I agree with the previous post. Good he's getting chances as he's definitely ready to be in the first team dynamics and would waste time at the B team. It was a loan or full time promotion for him. I didn't think he'd get chances so I wanted a loan. Even better.

Re. the bold, could be his strong suit. He's a modern FB in that sense. Pace, explosiveness, and athleticism help in that regard. What he struggles with are correct decisions and executions. I hope he comes there and picks up some defending on the way.

He's definitely talented but I'm not blown off the park yet.

jamrock

Trust the process, not everyone is a footballing genius at 18, especially at the FB position, which is probably the hardest position to break through in as a young player.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Hmmm, getting more optimistic about this guy - he needs minutes to gain confidence and we'll see how could he can turn out.

khaled_a_d

If Alonso comes, it means Xavi isn't convinced
If this is the case he should be loaned, it is better than him being on the bench, competing with 2 veteran LB in his position

Raketa10

If we bench him for Alonso than we are complete and utter idiots. Why the hell are we even signing Alonso when we have 2 left backs? We should seriously concentrate on a RB and forget Alonso.

Catta

Can't believe the club is still interested in that bum Alonso. Slow and shit at defending. Both Alba and Balde are better for us than him.

Porque

Would be similar to the words Xavi said about Abde and Jutgla before we brought better talents in.

Though to be fair, Balde looks like he can g go at the level more.

gregorrin10

If we bench him for Alonso than we are complete and utter idiots. Why the hell are we even signing Alonso when we have 2 left backs? We should seriously concentrate on a RB and forget Alonso.

Chelsea seem to be really insistent on including Alonso into the Auba deal, since they have Cucu and Chillwell now, they want to get rid of Alonso. And we might take him so we get the money we want. One thing we shouldn't do though, is let them put Alonso in there to affect (reduce) Auba's fee whatsoever.

And also, seems like Xavi doesn't wanna count on Alba anymore, not even for a bench spot. Don't know if I believe that, but hopefully it's true. Freezing out Alba would be only possible positive coming out of this deal. I hate Alba so much at this point that I think I'd rather have Alonso on the bench than him. Obviously turning into the worst thing ever, if Balde is somehow sacrificed and sent on loan instead, after we get Alonso in (which looks like we will).

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Again, have to say I haven't seen anything special in his latest game either. Lack of comments here also speak there wasn't anything to see.

If he develops into substitute it'll still be ok.

FinBarcelonafan

🚨🚨| Xavi has understood that Jordi Alba can't defend very well, despite being a good attacker.
@CatalunyaRadio [🎖️]

Looks like Xavi is more concerned of the defense than offense.

Not that Balde is great defensively, but he can cover with great speed.

Horatio

You're welcome
����| Xavi has understood that Jordi Alba can't defend very well, despite being a good attacker.
@CatalunyaRadio [��️]

Looks like Xavi is more concerned of the defense than offense.

Not that Balde is great defensively, but he can cover with great speed.

Valverde's legacy influencing next generation of coaches.

Home of Barca Fans