4 - Ronald Araújo

Messi983

For people comparing him to Van Dijk. At Araujo's age Virgil has just signed for Celtic from Groningen. Now tbh I didn't know VVD at that time (and probably not a lot of people here did) but I think it's fair to argue that a 22 yo Araujo > 22 yo VVD.

Obviously Virgil has developed into a monster, we'll see how Araujo will progress but he has all that's needed to become a top CB in a few years. He's already good but has a lot of room for improvement imo. And what's also important, the right mentality to fulfill his potential (baring injuries which are really my only concern with him).

Still, a third talent in the 23/26 age range to come in exchange for Umtiti, Lenglet would be needed. How about Skriniar? Contract up in 2023 and won of the top CBs in Europe.

I hope we'll bring Christensen this summer, he fits well into that age range.

Andresito

Staff member
Comparing to this and that is tough.

At one end you have VVD with a steep curve upwards at mid 20's, and at the other you have Varane who exploded as a teenager and improved very slightly after becoming a regular.

I think Araujo is closer to Varane than VVD in the sense that he won't keep developing like crazy. Won't see that much difference in Araujo apart from some polishing. He's already very dominant during the games so he's still capable of playing for a CL winning team. Would like to see him be more of a leader at the back and organizing the whole back line, of course need experience for that.

khaled_a_d

Just a thought of having Alba as a vice captain is scary as shit, lol. He shouldn't even be a 4th captain let alone anything more.

We can think whatever we want about Pique but at least he has a big personality (probably too big for club's best interest in most cases). Despite being here for a decade Alba is just a nobody and someone who crumbles under any kind of pressure. Clearly not someone youngsters should look at as a role model.

We really shouldn't select captains based on seniority as it's clear some players are here much longer than they should be. Won't happen but if we sign Azpilicueta I'd make him a vice-captain immediately. He has more leadership presence than our veterans together.

Anyway, I just hope we'll get more actual personality into our locker room this summer, regardless of who captains are on paper. We have youngsters like Gavi and Araujo with the right mind set but they need someone to lean on and lead them when they'll struggle if we want them to develop properly. Right now kids are mostly the ones who are carrying old/slow legs of Pique and Busi and mentally fragile Alba.

-I don't agree with calling Alba nobody tbh, I don't like him but that is too much.
-We do it by voting rather than seniority, but there is always a respect for seniority in mist dressing rooms. Alba had seniority over Roberto iirc, Pique too over Busquets (in both cases it wss marginal) and they were both moved ahead as team captains. Same with Mascherano too
Stegen is speculation from my behalf, but I think he has been there foo too long to be behind players half decade younger. But for me during a rebuild I don't care much, non of those will be captain for long.
Whoever gets 4th spot will have a chance to have Puyol like tenure.
At the end, if Alba becomes vice-captain there is a silver lining in it. It neans no more Pique or Roberto

TheStig

-I don't agree with calling Alba nobody tbh, I don't like him but that is too much.
-We do it by voting rather than seniority, but there is always a respect for seniority in mist dressing rooms. Alba had seniority over Roberto iirc, Pique too over Busquets (in both cases it wss marginal) and they were both moved ahead as team captains. Same with Mascherano too
Stegen is speculation from my behalf, but I think he has been there foo too long to be behind players half decade younger. But for me during a rebuild I don't care much, non of those will be captain for long.
Whoever gets 4th spot will have a chance to have Puyol like tenure.
At the end, if Alba becomes vice-captain there is a silver lining in it. It neans no more Pique or Roberto

Araujo, FDJ, Pedri, Gavi

Catta

After the Garcia cameo, he should ask for even more money. Araujo is not the best defender at the club, he is the ONLY defender.

made of glass

Stupid comment. Every player would have been subbed out after a kick on them like it was on Araujo. Him being injury prone is also overblown, he played the most minutes since Xavi came, if you exclude the 3 sacred cows and the GK.

Home of Barca Fans